The Films Nolan should direct

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
I’m of two minds: I think if he wants to get another gigantic budget, he’ll likely have to make a film out of an IP or franchise. I think if this is the case it might be a fantasy film created through his practical lense; something that families and people of all ages can see.

If he can do with something smaller budget wise, we’d get another Dunkirk. Dunkirk is my favorite of his films, or at least in my top three. Ether way I’m happy. Hopefully the Howard Hughes/Jim Carrey project can see the light of day.

I’m in NYC and yet to have seen Tenet.

Forum Pro
If anyone is selling Nolan stock, I’ll buy it.

I don’t see how Nolan’s career is going to be seriously hurt by this situation. He’s taking a huge hit as well with Tenet being released, remember that he makes 20% of the film’s first dollar gross. Also let’s look at recent WB history, Denis Villeneuve directed the flop that is BR2049 and was handed a surely bigger budget for his next project with Dune. Nolan’s made WB a lot more money than Villeneuve has.

But I do wonder what the relationship is like between Nolan and WB’s new brass after all the terrible messaging regarding Tenet.

Joshua Strong wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 3:13 pm
If anyone is selling Nolan stock, I’ll buy it.

I don’t see how Nolan’s career is going to be seriously hurt by this situation. He’s taking a huge hit as well with Tenet being released, remember that he makes 20% of the film’s first dollar gross. Also let’s look at recent WB history, Denis Villeneuve directed the flop that is BR2049 and was handed a surely bigger budget for his next project with Dune. Nolan’s made WB a lot more money than Villeneuve has.

But I do wonder what the relationship is like between Nolan and WB’s new brass after all the terrible messaging regarding Tenet.
Velleneuve signed onto Dune almost a year before 2049 released, and 2049 had a significantly warmer reception with critics and audiences who went (user ratings, etc). This isn't really an apt comparison.

-Vader

a good one...

I wish Nolan directs a smaller project for a change, something that is not a blockbuster, a la The Prestige. It's been a long time.

Listen everyone The Wachowski directed like 4 flops in a row; bug budget filmmakers have also made critically un-loved movies, that kept them going: Peter Jackson, Robert Zemeckis, John Faverau, etc...Their careers where not, I repeat, not ruined...

Nolan will be fine. Infact, more than fine, he is a trend setter, and a iconoclast. He may have to change things up a bit.

and to those who want another small movie...fuck that. BIGGER!!!! BIGGER!!!!!

On a pessimistic note, I loved Tenet, if this is his final flick, it is a glorious one to go out on. Seen it twice, I love it. The same way Interstellar has grown in esteem.

Dobson wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 5:47 pm
I wish Nolan directs a smaller project for a change, something that is not a blockbuster, a la The Prestige. It's been a long time.
r/films called, they want their "hot take" back.

I really don't get the idea of people wanting Nolan to do smaller movies when he's still the only one with a blank check to do original blockbusters (Tenet's financial struggles will be marked as COVID related and less quality related as the movie is still overall liked a lot more than it isn't). Often the same people have another hot take that "Hollywood does no original films anymore" when in reality they make a lot more than in the past but they're smaller movies that people don't go to see.

I just think that doing blockbusters forces the direction of Nolan's films downwards the action route. Every one of his blockbusters had significant amounts of action. I'd like to see him tackle story, character and dialogue exclusively for a change. Especially since those were the issues of Tenet, not the action.

I don't get the idea that he's interested in characters, dialogue and traditional storytelling considering his last two films.

A Borges man wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 6:40 pm
Listen everyone The Wachowski directed like 4 flops in a row; bug budget filmmakers have also made critically un-loved movies, that kept them going: Peter Jackson, Robert Zemeckis, John Faverau, etc...Their careers where not, I repeat, not ruined...

Nolan will be fine. Infact, more than fine, he is a trend setter, and a iconoclast. He may have to change things up a bit.

and to those who want another small movie...fuck that. BIGGER!!!! BIGGER!!!!!

On a pessimistic note, I loved Tenet, if this is his final flick, it is a glorious one to go out on. Seen it twice, I love it. The same way Interstellar has grown in esteem.
:clap: