Alexander The Great

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Lionheart wrote:I just want to see Nolan tackling a sword and sandals gigantic epic movie. Seeing Kingdom of Heaven yesterday just reinforced my wish.
Kingdom of Heaven is a beautiful film. I have it on DVD, but I want it on blu-ray. I think Nolan should consider Alexander, because if he shoots it in IMAX, imagine that picture, sound and epicness of Alexander on horseback.

Oliver Stone's version is not bad either; I have not yet seen the cut which was released on blu-ray, but some were praising the hell out of it. And, last year, WB announced that he is adding more scenes for a special edition blu-ray. I simply can't wait to get that. Colin wasn't bad as Alexander.
Last edited by Rohan on October 15th, 2013, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lionheart wrote:I just want to see Nolan tackling a sword and sandals gigantic epic movie. Seeing Kingdom of Heaven yesterday just reinforced my wish.
I'm not interested in Nolan doing a giant sword-and-sandal epic. We've seen scope; everyone knows they can fake that. That stuff doesn't impress in the way that it did even 10 years ago. We expect that from Starz now. So that's not the reason to do that.

Allstar wrote:
I'm not interested in Nolan doing a giant sword-and-sandal epic. We've seen scope; everyone knows they can fake that. That stuff doesn't impress in the way that it did even 10 years ago. We expect that from Starz now. So that's not the reason to do that.
That's exactly why i would love Nolan to do something in the genre. Because most of it looks and sounds completely fake. Also i dont thinks there's a genuinely great movie in the genre. We have Ben Hur's monstrous scope but there's not a lot more to it than showoff. Kingdom of Heaven can be really good. It's beautiful framed , and there's little moments where i really get transported to that time and get involved in the enormous scope , the completely different reality , the larger than life characters and situations. But it's explores really bad the conflict in the crusades , and bloom simply cannot carry that movie. The villains are complete caricatures. The rest of it, there's really nothing to talk about. Gladiator is a film that exists solely by Lisa Gerrard vocals , Troy is a pastiche reinvention of the Iliad , King Arthur is baloney, Oliver Stone's Alexander is just a missed opportunity.

Nolan films can be extremely immersive. And only then we can really see the scope. And finally have a great sword and sandal epic.