Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Nomis wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:08 pm
So, obviously, after Nolan has seen Dank Mank he's going to shoot his next epic entirely if not select sequences in B/W IMAX. You just know he's gonna do it.
A black-and-white IMAX sci-fi horror from Nolan.

Nomis wrote:
December 2nd, 2020, 5:08 pm
So, obviously, after Nolan has seen Dank Mank he's going to shoot his next epic entirely if not select sequences in B/W IMAX. You just know he's gonna do it.
I hope not... I love Black and White film, but I'm not convinced by movies like Mank, or The Good German, or The artist. They feel like nostalgic exercises. I think there is something strange and almost useless in apeing another period of film...No matter how much digital dirt Fincher puts on Mank, it is not an old Hollywood experience.

But, there have been great movies shot in Black and White in the last 20 years: Satantango, The white ribbon, even the Lighthouse (which contradicts what I have said above).

I guess what I'm trying to say is Black and White needs to be carefully applied, I usually like it when it is done for tonal reasons, but I don't like it when it feels like a gimmick. I roll my eyes whenever a filmmaker has a black and white cut, like what for? I watched the black and chrome Fury Road, and the image is bold and starker but lacks texture and nimbleness. Logan, Parasite, Justice League, it's all just marketing bullshit.

Also, Nolan has been there, done that (following and memento). I feel like he has become so obsessed with immersion, he would not shot Black and White because he would feel like the approach drew attention to itself, and thus the artifice would break the reality.

True about the immersion but I do think that even if only used in some shots or scenes, B/W could be that instant recognition for the audience at a very specific moment in the story.

I wonder if Nolan will leave WB and go to another studio for his next film.

this just in Syncopy renamed

21st Century Syncopy

It just bought back Avatar from Disney

Uno
It's gonna be weird when the WB logo doesn't appear in front of his next film.

Uno wrote:
December 8th, 2020, 3:39 pm
It's gonna be weird when the WB logo doesn't appear in front of his next film.
If that were to happen, I just hope it’s not Disney.

If Nolan was going to go to another studio it would be Paramount right?

Depends on the money.

July

Theaters Only

Could it BE anymore obvious?