Favourite Nolan/Pfister Cinematography?

Wally Pfister and Hoyte van Hoytema
Insomnia

Bacon wrote:Insomnia

TDKR

BlairCo wrote:
Bacon wrote:Insomnia
He's got a point... Some fantastic moments in that film.

I say Inception & The Prestige a tight. and I can rather INCEPTION... There was some exceptional camera PROXEMICS and SPATIAL movements in that Film, other than the hallway scene.. but the camera work was sheer superb.

The Prestige or The Dark Knight with Inception being a close third. The latter two are just stunning and make my jaw drop with some of the shots (ie, the truck flipping over). The Prestige has a much more subtle approach but still great in its own right since it's just very attractive to the eyes.

The Prestige
TDKR
Inception
gib sigs

The Dark Knight Rises probably has the 'most' amount of shots that are logistically challenging to accomplish with manipulating light and timing it, but Inception's easily my favorite.

-Vader

The Dark Knight for me, the lighting and blue tint just creates such an amazing atmosphere. :-D

There are a few particular shots within most of his films that I just can't get out of my head:

Memento- The opening scene and the B&W sequences.

Insomnia- The ariel shots of the plane and glaciers, and the fog scene.

Batman Begins- Young Bruce falling down the well, Bruce within the cave as bats fly around him (overcoming his fear), the batsuit being painted, the batarang being thrown into the wall, young Bruce and his dad with the stethoscope, young Bruce on his knees by his dead parents.

The Prestige- The opening scene with the hats, the water tank scenes, and the field with the bulbs of light (by far the best shot within the film).

The Dark Knight- The shot of the back of the Joker with his mask in hand and bag in the other, Batman standing in the ruins as his cape flails in the wind, and most of the car chase shots.

Inception- Almost every single shot to be honest. I believe the film has by far the best work by Pfister.

The Dark Knight Rises- Batman standing on top of a building cape flailing, the jail (aka: basara, basara, deshi, deshi) scene, and the Bane fight sequence where Batman gets his back broken.

Quite a lot of various shots, but I love Wally Pfister's work and believe he's one of the few best cinematographers out there.
"One of the things you do as a writer and as a filmmaker is grasp for resonant symbols and imagery without necessarily fully understanding it yourself. "
-Christopher Nolan