Is Nolan Getting the Most out of his Films?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I hope he returns to non-PG films sometime.
Do you... like pineapple?

Someone mentioned a horror screenplay? If he's really going to do a horror film he'll have to, won't he? pg-13 horror movie will suck badly. :lol:

lalyil wrote:Someone mentioned a horror screenplay? If he's really going to do a horror film he'll have to, won't he? pg-13 horror movie will suck badly. :lol:
...but if anyone can pull it off it would be Nolan.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

DoubleD wrote:...but if anyone can pull it off it would be Nolan.
That's my life's moto lol my brother and fellow Nolan fan is a pessimist, however. So whenever I say that he says 'now his next movie is gonna suck'.

DoubleD wrote:
lalyil wrote:Someone mentioned a horror screenplay? If he's really going to do a horror film he'll have to, won't he? pg-13 horror movie will suck badly. :lol:
...but if anyone can pull it off it would be Nolan.
I think he possibly could, but I don't think such a skill is limited to him.
Do you... like pineapple?

mchekhov wrote:well, he explores psychology to a lesser degree, but his films aren't art ...not many of modern filmmakers' films are though
Virtually anything made by a human is art.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:
mchekhov wrote:well, he explores psychology to a lesser degree, but his films aren't art ...not many of modern filmmakers' films are though
Virtually anything made by a human is art.

Is a table, art?

His films are still phenomenal, regardless.
We really should stop this fighting, otherwise we'll miss the fireworks!

This has been discussed briefly in this thread, but I was thinking about it moreso now that the debut of Prometheus is quickly approaching.

Many folks were about to shit a brick if Ridley Scott's Prometheus were to be rated PG-13. They wanted the most intense, visceral experience possible, and for it to not be watered down. Luckily, it has been rated R.

Nolan has three films that have been rated R. His first 3 films (Following, Memento, Insomnia) were rated R. His following 5 films have all been rated PG-13. I'm kind of afraid that the studios are going to be so obsessed with making money from Nolan's films that they're going to pressure him to make all of his future films PG-13. They'll give him free reign and a huge bankroll, but with the only caveat being it has to meet a PG-13 rating. I personally enjoy R rated films more, especially those that are steeped in realism.

Of course Nolan has made great films that have been rated PG-13, but the little things do matter. I still hate that when the Joker shoots the folks in the bank heist scene, that there is zero blood, and this is done to maintain a PG-13 rating. Just hope Nolan still has an independent personality to him from his art-house days with Following and Memento, and maybe he'll buck the pressure from the studios. But if I had to bet on it, I think it's almost 100% certain that his next film after TDKR will be PG-13.

So a movie isn't art because its rated pg-13? we need flashy violence to make it adult? this qualifies as the dumbest shit i've read in weeks. is the internet flooded with brainless kids? apparently.

(ps. The Dark Knights violence isnt just surface-level gore - it's horrifying in its subtext. Like the shark in Jaws, it's frightening because you have to make out what happens yourself (and that's more impressive). Example: when the joker breaks a stick in half and throws one on the ground between two men. The lack of blood is absolutely not important for anyone with something behind their eyes.
@sammyjankis88