Women in Nolan movies

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
darthnazgul wrote:
jcvargas09 wrote:
She did more than betray him. The whole lead up to their sex scene she's toying with his emotions. First she says I'll take care of your parents legacy, then she asks where Alfred is while she knows full well he has left, and then she asks who the woman in the photo is while she knows full well that it's Rachel, and she knows how much she meant to Bruce. Then she gets Bruce in the sack knowing full well that later that night he is going to be delivered to Bane, so essentially she took away a lot of his physical and emotional edge. She is a super bitch.
Well that and the whole nuking millions of people part.
Bitch confirmed.

What if when Miranda asked "We could leave tonight, take my plane and leave", Bruce would've answered "yes". I wonder what could have happened then.

Anyway, Selina Kyle is, imo, the best female character in all Nolan films. :modesty:

I think you write what you know. There are two ways to look at this, I think but I probably have failed to think it through. You can assume women as equals personality-wise, and know that only the biology is slightly different (in which case the only way to make a bad female character would be to cast a man). In this case I think it wouldn't matter at all if there are few strong female characters, or that he didn't have any female protagonists, any more than it matters that he never had black protagonists. And unless I've been going to the wrong places, I never noticed Nolan being accused of racism.

If we are to ever really see men and women as equals we can't think "oh, I've done enough male characters now, lets do a female one". This way you're not acting with equality in mind, you're just worried about political correctness.

The other way we can look at it is to assume there are differences between men and women. We write what we know, hence women being relegated to a role as a lost loved one, because he knows that fear.

But anyway, let me look at female characters (not all of them, just the ones I think stand out) in Nolan movies:
Natalie - Manipulative but not bland.
Rachel Dawes - I can't imagine calling her a weak character. Katie Holmes might not have been the best actress, and she was definitely not the focus of a film about the freaking Batman, but she is a better character than Fox or even Alfred in the first film. In the second, of course, she dies because "relatable fears" happens, but her idealism still reflects from the first film. The disconnect from the actress exchange might have unfortunately seen her as a less important character because there is that small disconnect from who she was in the first. Maggie is a better actress, but I still wish continuity had been favored over that (and before you tell me, yes, I know there were scheduling conflicts or whatever and it wasn't Nolan's choice, I guess).
Ariadne - Again, strong, but given little space for exploration of her character. She gets the same treatment as every other member of the team besides Cobb.
Mal - A brilliant character. A lot of her is a reflex of what she used to be and recreated by a man's brain (Cobb's) but she is still someone that draws a lot of attention and not just because of her looks. In the end, most of these characters are a created from a man's brain (Nolan's) so I think the fact that she is a shade hardly makes a difference.
Miranda - We get to see little of her real motivations other than those imparted by her father or likely Bane (the argument could be made that she was under Bane's control which is usually a thing that does happen to young girls helped by an older powerful man, and that I think is made more obvious by the fact that Bane made her estranged to her father).The most obvious interpretation is that Bane and Talia were equals, but even so she is little more than Ra's resurrected. Bane is that as well, but his brutality and his taste for torture make him different. I'm rambling here, but I now realize this is true for Talia as well. Unless the both of them are working under one brain, and we can't tell whose brain of the two it is, both have them have taken a taste to torture by hope (probably from the two living in the pit for so long) which set them apart from their predecessor.

But I am digressing off topic now, it is obvious Bane comes across as a more imposing villain because he's out in the open the whole film, whereas Miranda is playing the goody role for most of the film and her real character is mostly in the shadows.
It's obvious the real twist is that Selina was not the one femme fatale seducer whatever other adjectives appropriate but rather Miranda is, because a defining characteristic of the femme fatale is that you wonder what her plan is, you don't know where she lies in the spectrum. We get many scenes where we know exactly what Selina is thinking, which leads me to...

Selina Kyle - There is no female in a Nolan film that is better written, deeper in character, smarter, or just as awesome as Nolan's Catwoman. I don't care how many negative points you want to add on the mysoginist chart with all the weaker characters, you'll have to remove more than those because of Selina. That's just it. Selina Kyle proves once and for all that Christopher Nolan can and has directed a woman that is deeper than cardboard. She is as interesting as the Batman and it's a shame she was in only one movie. There is nothing more that needs to be said. :judge:

I definitely agree that Selina Kyle/Catwoman is Nolan's best written female character. :twothumbsup:
jcvargas09 wrote: Edit: But it is pretty sweet revenge that she breaks her back after that fall in the HEMTT truck at the end of the movie. Very nice.
The only thing that would've made it better is if she died knowing her plan failed. Too bad she thought she won when she died. :lol:

I definitely agree that Selina Kyle/Catwoman is Nolan's best written female character. :twothumbsup:
I agree! Selina Kyle is a really complex and interesting female character.

TalkOnCorners wrote:I definitely agree that Selina Kyle/Catwoman is Nolan's best written female character. :twothumbsup:
jcvargas09 wrote: Edit: But it is pretty sweet revenge that she breaks her back after that fall in the HEMTT truck at the end of the movie. Very nice.
The only thing that would've made it better is if she died knowing her plan failed. Too bad she thought she won when she died. :lol:
My agreements on the former too. I was thoroughly impressed with the character and the way Anne portrayed her. :clap:

..I didn't realise
Miranda/ Talia had broken her back in that scene. Can explain why I was looking for a wound/ whatever the second time I saw it.
:facepalm: :lol:

MikaHaeli8 wrote:
TalkOnCorners wrote: The only thing that would've made it better is if she died knowing her plan failed. Too bad she thought she won when she died. :lol:
My agreements on the former too. I was thoroughly impressed with the character and the way Anne portrayed her. :clap:

..I didn't realise
Miranda/ Talia had broken her back in that scene. Can explain why I was looking for a wound/ whatever the second time I saw it.
:facepalm: :lol:
Doesn't surprise me, I initially thought she impaled herself on something. Supposedly they would've done something more. . . detailed, but Marion Cotillard was pregnant at the time. Don't quote me on that though, I can't say for certain if that was the reason.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender