Nolan Beliefs ?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
prodical wrote:mentioned in the December issue of Empire that he was raised Catholic.
find hard to believe he stayed that way, although I wander if he's raising his children that way...

prodical wrote:me mentioned in the December issue of Empire that he was raised Catholic. Which makes sense seeing as his father is from Chicago which has a very Irish background.
His dad's the English half, from Highgate, London; his mum is from (an unspecified part of) the US.

Sara wrote:
prodical wrote:me mentioned in the December issue of Empire that he was raised Catholic. Which makes sense seeing as his father is from Chicago which has a very Irish background.
His dad's the English half, from Highgate, London; his mum is from (an unspecified part of) the US.
sorry it must be his mum that is from chicago. Its not unspecified, Jonah grew up in chicago

Nolan's said several times he grew up in Chicago for at least a decent portion of his life, and I highly doubt a person as absolutely private as Christopher Nolan would say much about his religious beliefs (he hasn't), or would allude to that. He's a very logical, scientific type person, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's without religion. Speaking from personal experience, some of the greatest science professors I've know at big universities were various denominations of Christianity and so on.

One of the main themes of his films is to take a leap of faith and believe in something, which, at least to me, points that he probably believes that people might need faith too, and while that doesn't allude to religion, it points to him being a very spiritual person regardless, and that's as far as we can probably infer from his films.

I find it very distasteful to see people bashing various religions that they don't agree with, it's juvenile, and ultimately relatively offensive. I dunno about you guys, but I was always taught to respect people, so I'm going to respect Chris' privacy, as he clearly values it.

Vader182 wrote:Nolan's said several times he grew up in Chicago for at least a decent portion of his life.
Yeah, I was splitting hairs - he may be from Chicago, but it doesn't mean that's where his mother was from originally, rather where she settled.

Vader182 wrote:Nolan's said several times he grew up in Chicago for at least a decent portion of his life, and I highly doubt a person as absolutely private as Christopher Nolan would say much about his religious beliefs (he hasn't), or would allude to that. He's a very logical, scientific type person, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's without religion. Speaking from personal experience, some of the greatest science professors I've know at big universities were various denominations of Christianity and so on.

One of the main themes of his films is to take a leap of faith and believe in something, which, at least to me, points that he probably believes that people might need faith too, and while that doesn't allude to religion, it points to him being a very spiritual person regardless, and that's as far as we can probably infer from his films.

I find it very distasteful to see people bashing various religions that they don't agree with, it's juvenile, and ultimately relatively offensive. I dunno about you guys, but I was always taught to respect people, so I'm going to respect Chris' privacy, as he clearly values it.
except he clearly stated in last months empire that he was raised catholic. Can anyone who read this article back me up? its on page 122. Heres exactly what he says "somebody asked if i was raised catholic. Then of course what i had to admit is, i was raised as catholic (laughs), which is a little damning..."

prodical wrote:
Vader182 wrote:Nolan's said several times he grew up in Chicago for at least a decent portion of his life, and I highly doubt a person as absolutely private as Christopher Nolan would say much about his religious beliefs (he hasn't), or would allude to that. He's a very logical, scientific type person, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's without religion. Speaking from personal experience, some of the greatest science professors I've know at big universities were various denominations of Christianity and so on.

except he clearly stated in last months empire that he was raised catholic. Can anyone who read this article back me up? its on page 122. Heres exactly what he says "somebody asked if i was raised catholic. Then of course what i had to admit is, i was raised as catholic (laughs), which is a little damning..."
No, I remember the article, and if I recall I've heard it said a few times around here or there too. Nolan's a private person, that easily could've been a non-answer to not disclose his religion, and I know tons of people of various religions and any number of religious beliefs who were 'raised Catholic.' You've never met a protestant who was once Catholic? Half the protestants I've known were once Catholic. I'm just saying, its very presumptuous of anyone to try to distill what religious, if any, that he's a part of. I do think there's a certain spirituality to him based on the thematic and narrative happenings within his films, as well as his various comments.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote: No, I remember the article, and if I recall I've heard it said a few times around here or there too. Nolan's a private person, that easily could've been a non-answer to not disclose his religion, and I know tons of people of various religions and any number of religious beliefs who were 'raised Catholic.' You've never met a protestant who was once Catholic? Half the protestants I've known were once Catholic. I'm just saying, its very presumptuous of anyone to try to distill what religious, if any, that he's a part of. I do think there's a certain spirituality to him based on the thematic and narrative happenings within his films, as well as his various comments.

-Vader
I was raised Catholic. Didn't do much. :lol:

Vader182 wrote:
No, I remember the article, and if I recall I've heard it said a few times around here or there too. Nolan's a private person, that easily could've been a non-answer to not disclose his religion, and I know tons of people of various religions and any number of religious beliefs who were 'raised Catholic.' You've never met a protestant who was once Catholic? Half the protestants I've known were once Catholic. I'm just saying, its very presumptuous of anyone to try to distill what religious, if any, that he's a part of. I do think there's a certain spirituality to him based on the thematic and narrative happenings within his films, as well as his various comments.

-Vader
either way it really doesn't matter. I too was raised catholic but I am now an atheist, maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I think looking to far into his religious beliefs is a bad idea.

chee wrote:Now that this was bumped...

Nolan has said that he was raised Catholic. He doesn't say anything about if he's still a Catholic or just a deist, agnostic, or an atheist.
I figured he was at least raised Catholic. he is of Irish decent, it was listed on IMDB. The name Christopher comes from Christianity, and both of his brothers are biblical names Jonah and John.
I do not know what he is now. I wounder what political part he belongs too? I would guess Democrat.
Last edited by Jesus of Suburbia on January 26th, 2011, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.