Nolan's Favorites

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
A long shot but I do recall pictures (one an actual picture, the other the soundtrack CD) of two awesome movies in The Young Man's flat in Following (besides the awesome Batman sticker on the door)... I'm going to guess they're amongst his faves.

Nolan was 7 years old when he first saw Star Wars: "Nothing was ever the same. That completely changed movies for me, it changed everything, really. It created a world that lived on in your mind after you saw the film and seemed to have this limitless potential.”

And, as Nolan explains it over three decades later, he’s made a career out of trying to instill a similar sense of wonderment for ticket buyers: “I think, for me, my whole career in making films, really every time I set out to make a film, I want to try and give somebody in the audience the experience I had watching that film, where it really felt like anything was possible in that world. That’s a really extraordinary experience to have as a moviegoer.”

"The Bond influence on Inception was very intentional because, for me, growing up with the Bond films - they've always stood for grand-scale action, always stood for the promise of being taken to some place bigger than you could have imagined."

"In dealing with the human mind and dreams, my mind naturally gravitates towards the Bond films as that sort of expression of cinematic potential. By the end of the film you feel that Inception could go anywhere and do anything."

In seeking to craft “a portrayal of a city and the different strata of people living in it,” Nolan and his brother were inspired by Charles Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities and the silent cinema of Fritz Lang, arguably best known for the sci-fi landmark Metropolis.

Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities

Fritz Lang

Nolan says that Ridley Scott, Stanley Kubrick, Terrence Malick and Nicolas Roeg were some of his inspirations:

dadosaboya wrote:Image

The works of Jorge Luis Borges were also a major inspiration to Nolan in Inception.
Oh, I love Nolan even more now <3
Borges was argentinian, just like me. He is the best writer ever. I've got all his works. If you are interested in knowing what kind of inspiration did Nolan got from Borges, I recommend you to read this short story: My favourite tale by Jorge Luis. It's like a little Inception in some kind of way.

Octaviana wrote:
dadosaboya wrote:Image

The works of Jorge Luis Borges were also a major inspiration to Nolan in Inception.
Borges was argentinian, just like me. He is the best writer ever. I've got all his works. If you are interested in knowing what kind of inspiration did Nolan got from Borges, I recommend you to read this short story: My favourite tale by Jorge Luis. It's like a little Inception in some kind of way.
Thank you very much for that! :twothumbsup:

dadosaboya wrote:
Octaviana wrote:
Thank you very much for that! :twothumbsup:
My pleasure. I love this two men.

tykjen wrote:Nolan's uncompromising style reflects his auteur roots. "I've never been to film school but started making films with my brother when I was seven years old," he says, adding that his style has been most influenced by experimental directors. "I've always been impressed with the editing and experimentalism of filmmakers like Nicolas Roeg and have remained a big fan of Stanley Kubrick. In terms of Memento, Alan Parker films such as Angel Heart and The Wall, which use very interesting editing techniques such as a fractured narrative, were a big influence.

I just watched that whole scene, and I had NO IDEA that was Mickey Rourke until the video ended, and all those little thumb nails for other videos featuring him came up. My god, he's changed.

Ace
Some words from Nolan in this article from Empire-
http://www.empireonline.com/features/ho ... ite-films/
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
"I saw 2001 when I was about seven years old. They re-released it after Star Wars so my dad took me and my brother to see it at the Odeon Leicester Square on the huge screen. It was just a mind-blowing experience and I've been a huge Kubrick fan ever since. All my friends at the time saw it and loved it; we didn't understand it, but we used to argue about what it meant. It just has that sensory stimulation of pure cinema that speaks to people of all ages. People forget kids like it too - because we were all into spaceships."
GOLDFINGER
"I'm a huge fan of the Bond films. I'm definitely very partial to Goldfinger, because I think it's the first one to really get the template and go really big with it and define what we think of as Bond. It's very stylish and has a massive scale to it and a very colourful villain and henchmen. And, of course, just Sean Connery at his absolute coolest. I think after Goldfinger the size of the brand started to somewhat overwhelm the character. I think On Her Majesty's Secret Service - which is a terrifically made film - was the only one where they managed to get back to it. The opening of Goldfinger is stunning. The moment right at the beginning where he sets the charges on the drug factory and walks into the bar in his dinner jacket and the place explodes; he just has this marvellous expression on his face of nonchalance. It's incredibly cool. It's the absolute essence of the Bond character."
THE THIN RED LINE
"The Thin Red Line truly is a great film. It's one of the few films I've seen that, even though it's based on a book, could only really be done in cinema. It's just the essence of cinematic storytelling. It has a hypnotic quality where the viewer's relationship with the photography, and the sound particularly, creates narrative points; it creates emotions that drive the narrative. These things are created by the combination of picture and sound rather than the dialogue. A lot of films, a lot of great films in fact, could also be radio plays or television programmes or stage plays. The Thin Red Line is pure cinematic storytelling."
STAR WARS
"The first Star Wars has a very special place in my heart. I just thought it was an incredible film. I remember seeing it 12 times in the cinema. Every kid's birthday in 1978 would be a trip to see Star Wars at the cinema. It's got that sense of immersion in a world, you can really escape into the film for a couple of hours."
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
"When I first saw it I liked it, but wouldn't have rated it as one of my favourite films. But I've seen it many times over the years and it gets better and better."