Other filmmakers on Christopher Nolan

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Oku wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 12:04 am
James Cameron: ‘Soon we’ll have AI creating movies – and it’ll suck’
https://lwlies.com/interviews/james-cam ... of-cinema/
[...]

Is there any reliable old technology that you use to make films now?

Interesting. There’s nothing we use now that I used when I started. Nothing. There’s photochemistry, which to me is obsolete. Mechanical movement is the same. As gorgeous as the Panaflex camera was – and it was a beautiful machine – it’s obsolete. Digital camera technology is so advanced now that I wouldn’t ever dream of going back to one of those old cameras. Large-scale physical miniatures, too, they’re gone. The last time I worked with miniatures was on Titanic. I still have the 42-foot long Titanic model, but it’s like a Model-T Ford. No, maybe something higher, like a Duesenberg or something.

The point is, we wouldn’t do it that way any more. We don’t work that way. We can’t. There’s too much flexibility with CG models. And they don’t degrade. I’m always repairing that damn Titanic. It’s always getting bumped into, railing getting snapped off, dust getting on the deck. We just do physical models, we don’t do matte paintings on glass, we don’t do photochemistry any more. And I think movies look better than they’ve ever looked. I know Chris Nolan disagrees, and he thinks that shooting on 65mm IMAX film is great, but you could achieve the same result digitally if you chose to.

[...]
is that why lotr still looks better than hobbit?

During promotion for Alita, Cameron also said that he didn't care much for DC, that his favorite super-hero movie is Iron Man, and that the last film he saw in cinema and really loved was Gravity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1eV9AN3ys
He also said when announcing Terminator 6 that there hadn't any groundbreaking blockbuster in summer 2017...
Except for Inception, which he loved, he doesn't seem to be a great fan of Nolan...
Haven't seen his interview of Nolan though.

Demoph wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:55 pm
During promotion for Alita, Cameron also said that he didn't care much for DC, that his favorite super-hero movie is Iron Man, and that the last film he saw in cinema and really loved was Gravity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1eV9AN3ys
He also said when announcing Terminator 6 that there hadn't any groundbreaking blockbuster in summer 2017...
Except for Inception, which he loved, he doesn't seem to be a great fan of Nolan...
Haven't seen his interview of Nolan though.
He's been very complimentary of his Batman movies as well. This is from his IMDB quotes:

[on Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)] I'd like to see him reinvent it in the same way Batman got reinvented very successfully. The last two Batman pictures (Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008)) - actually, they're the only two I can watch. I couldn't stand the other ones.

Ace
William Fichtner

https://www.slashfilm.com/william-fichtner-interview/2/
A good friend of mine who produced Memento, Aaron Ryder, is really close with Chris Nolan. I didn’t personally know Chris, but my friend Aaron called me and said, “My buddy Chris Nolan is making this film, and he has this role at the beginning of the film, and he’d love to talk to you about it.” I said, sure, I’d love to speak with Chris about it, so we had a phone call conversation about it. He told me all about the role, how we meet the Joker for the first time, and all of this. I said, “Just do me a favor, send me the scene.” I read the scene and got right back to him, “Absolutely.” It’s one of those things, you can never know, and it was the same thing with Crash. I remember at the time my agent going, “It’s just this one scene, this one part,” which often times doesn’t mean a lot to me. I don’t really care; it’s what it is.
Chris’ description of who the guy was, what the scene was, what was happening in this moment, what kind of bank it is, and what kind of bank manager he was, in one conversation, Chris just shared a lot with me about what he thought was happening here. Like a Ridley Scott, some of these directors who are just amazing – they don’t have a million things to share with you on the day. They tell you things that put you down the road. There’s a big trust factor and they let you go.
I remember the first two days – and I think it was the first two days of principal photography – is when they shot that scene with the IMAX cameras in the bank. Chris had all sorts of people around him, and the special effects guys were incredible. I remember when I was walking with the shotgun and shooting, they asked, “Where are you going to aim?” I said, “Over here,” and in take one, I fired that thing, and when I fired it, something blew up and I thought, “Holy shit. These guys are good!”
It was also the chance, on the first day of principal photography, to meet Heath [Ledger] that day. I had never met him before. I remember one thing… He was pretty quiet with his headset on, thinking about whatever he was doing and his process, but I remember when we started rolling the cameras and the camera was on him, I thought, from one actor to another, I was watching him going, “I love, I love what this guy is doing right now. He’s dialed into what this role is,” and it was really cool. That was a good memory, and may he rest in peace.

Don't know if it's the appropriate forum but the cinematographer Mathieu-David Cournot tell on Twitter that Christopher Nolan had deliberately missed the scene of Marion Cotillard death scene in The Dark Knight Rises to take revenge on her because during the shooting, she went secretly in France for shoot the movie "De rouille et d'os".
So she was exhausted during the shooting and Nolan was very upset by that.

Collins wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 7:17 pm
Don't know if it's the appropriate forum but the cinematographer Mathieu-David Cournot tell on Twitter that Christopher Nolan had deliberately missed the scene of Marion Cotillard death scene in The Dark Knight Rises to take revenge on her because during the shooting, she went secretly in France for shoot the movie "De rouille et d'os".
Sorry, but I don't see Nolan purposely messing up a scene in his own movie to "get back" at an actor. Ultimately, the quality of a scene or "lack of" quality will be put on the director first before any actor.

radewart wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Collins wrote:
Sorry, but I don't see Nolan purposely messing up a scene in his own movie to "get back" at an actor. Ultimately, the quality of a scene or "lack of" quality will be put on the director first before any actor.
I totally agree with you, I found his arguments very bad but he said he has safe sources.

radewart wrote:
March 18th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Collins wrote:
Yeah, that seems pretty silly (and petty) if true. It is one of the all-time bad movie death scenes, though.

HorrorBiz wrote:
August 20th, 2016, 1:53 am
Todd Phillips, director of The Hangover and the recent War Dogs.
“My problem is I can’t make a movie that I know nothing about. I’m just not a superhero guy,” he said. “That said, I watched Chris Nolan’s movies and those are up there with the fucking ‘Godfather’ trilogy. For me, he’s the greatest filmmaker and it’s just mind-blowing what he does.”
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/todd-p ... 201718193/
Well, isn't that ironic, huh...

Ace
Wolfgang Petersen On Nolan almost directing Troy.
Petersen was forced choose between Batman vs. Superman and Troy, a film that was itself being dangled to Christopher Nolan—who had already made well-received films like Insomnia and Memento, but had not yet become a household name.

“Nobody really knew him at that time,” Petersen said in a recent phone interview with Vanity Fair. And though it sounds unbelievable now, there was reportedly hesitation over whether Nolan would be better than Petersen to handle a film of Troy’s scale. So Petersen went for Troy, while Warner Bros. shelved Batman vs. Superman entirely—instead offering Nolan a fresh take on a solo Batman movie, which became Batman Begins.

“Thank God he did Batman,” Petersen said with a laugh. “Maybe fate helped out here.”