Women

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I don't want to throw my hat into the ring on this issue, but no one seems to remember that Inception was Chris Nolan's first original since Following. Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige and The Dark Knight are all adaptations, and Insomnia was a remake. The characters already existed.

Sara wrote:
OVERMAN wrote: I think Inception pass the test although it happens on a man's dream lol
I don't think it does actually, Ariadne and Mal do speak, but their topic of conversation (halted before it really gets going by Cobb) was almost certainly going to be about Cobb.

One thing I've always thought about this issue - I don't actually think that men can really, genuinely, write from a woman's perspective to a level that would be authentic enough to subdue the feminists (or really convince me). They just can't. I don't think it has anything to do with men hating women or seeing them as less than them or whatever. I think its just simple biology. Men are men and will never really know what the world is like from a woman's perspective, because they will never experience it from a woman's perspective. Just like I doubt a woman could really write from a man's perspective.

A fairly good example of this is Nick Hornby. Hornby wrote a load of novels about men and things that interest Men. But it wasn't just men who bought his books and related to the characters in them, women did too. He started getting a lot of criticism from female press that his books were always about men and women could relate to them too, so why not write from a woman's pov. So he tried. And it was awful. He could have spent his life researching that and I think the result would have been the same. the character he created just didn't feel like a real woman, more a man's projection of how he thinks a real woman would be. And just to keep it equal - I've read books by female authors that suffer in the same way, the men in the books just don't feel like real men, they feel more like a woman's projection of what a man should be (and seen some films by female directors that suffer in the same way too).
it passes the test in a 2 outta 3 rate lol

boxyloxydigi wrote:I don't want to throw my hat into the ring on this issue, but no one seems to remember that Inception was Chris Nolan's first original since Following. Memento, Batman Begins, The Prestige and The Dark Knight are all adaptations, and Insomnia was a remake. The characters already existed.
Yes, they do in a way. But, for the most part, the were still created and shaped by Nolan and/or his brother Jonah (depending on which film we're talking about). He could have easily expanded Rachel Dawes's role in the Batman franchise, etc. To say they exist and that he has no choice in their arcs, etc is tad naive.

filmfanatic wrote:For the most part, they were still created and shaped by Nolan and/or his brother Jonah (depending on which film we're talking about). He could have easily expanded Rachel Dawes's role in the Batman franchise, etc. To say they exist and that he has no choice in their arcs, etc is tad naive.
I think Rachel already had a more in depth role than most lead women in superhero movies. Superman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, Captain America...etc.

fakescorpion wrote:I think Rachel already had a more in depth role than most lead women in superhero movies. Superman, Spiderman, Green Lantern, Captain America...etc.
I think the same.

A thread about women on a Nolan forum...

Last post: About 3 weeks ago.

Samsara17 wrote:A thread about women on a Nolan forum...

Last post: About 3 weeks ago.
And your point is?