The Christopher Nolan Appreciation Thread

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Super cool of him and Emma to do that. Surprised he had never been asked for a MAW before.

That was such a great story to read! Thank you for sharing it! :gonf:

Insomniac wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 2:33 pm
Nolan and Emma was mentioned in an AskReddit thread about the best and worst of Make-A-Wish encounters:
Just for some background, both my sister and I are pretty damn sick and so we had the rare occasion where we BOTH got wishes (my family suggested that we just do one, but Make a Wish was adamant that we each got our own)

My sister's Make a Wish was to meet Taylor Swift. We flew to Nebraska for 2 days, got in the same meet and greet line as people who won radio contests, took a picture with Taylor Swift, and that was that.

I, on the other hand, asked to meet Christopher Nolan. He had never been requested for a wish, so we were flown to LA where we got a tour of the Warner Brothers lot and then had a private lunch with Nolan and Emma Thomas (his wife). We hung out for two hours, where they finally left because they had some film related thing to do. We found out later that he'd only agreed to an hour, but during the lunch insisted that he stayed longer.

It was quite interesting how we both had celebrity wishes and they both turned out so differently.
He then also added this:
He was great. Incredibly nice and down to earth. Talked to me and my family as if he had known us for ages. Was a great experience; I know one of the biggest things you hear is don't meet your idol because it will tear down your image of them. Nolan and Thomas were so kind, it made me like them even more.

My family was very impressed with him. He took pictures with us and signed all of my Nolan BluRays. And of course, he agreed to do lunch in the first place which was incredible.

Very kind, and very British. He asked for tea and berries for dessert for our lunch. Very patient with my questions. He and Emma Thomas were excellent together too, they were always making jokes towards one another. It was quite fun watching them interact.

We talked about quite a few things. He made me promise that I wouldn't share a majority of the things we talked about, and of course I'm going to respect his wishes, but we talked about many things like books and TV, and of course some of his experiences with movies.
Tenth posted.

Insomniac wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 2:33 pm
Nolan and Emma was mentioned in an AskReddit thread about the best and worst of Make-A-Wish encounters:
Just for some background, both my sister and I are pretty damn sick and so we had the rare occasion where we BOTH got wishes (my family suggested that we just do one, but Make a Wish was adamant that we each got our own)

My sister's Make a Wish was to meet Taylor Swift. We flew to Nebraska for 2 days, got in the same meet and greet line as people who won radio contests, took a picture with Taylor Swift, and that was that.

I, on the other hand, asked to meet Christopher Nolan. He had never been requested for a wish, so we were flown to LA where we got a tour of the Warner Brothers lot and then had a private lunch with Nolan and Emma Thomas (his wife). We hung out for two hours, where they finally left because they had some film related thing to do. We found out later that he'd only agreed to an hour, but during the lunch insisted that he stayed longer.

It was quite interesting how we both had celebrity wishes and they both turned out so differently.
He then also added this:
He was great. Incredibly nice and down to earth. Talked to me and my family as if he had known us for ages. Was a great experience; I know one of the biggest things you hear is don't meet your idol because it will tear down your image of them. Nolan and Thomas were so kind, it made me like them even more.

My family was very impressed with him. He took pictures with us and signed all of my Nolan BluRays. And of course, he agreed to do lunch in the first place which was incredible.

Very kind, and very British. He asked for tea and berries for dessert for our lunch. Very patient with my questions. He and Emma Thomas were excellent together too, they were always making jokes towards one another. It was quite fun watching them interact.

We talked about quite a few things. He made me promise that I wouldn't share a majority of the things we talked about, and of course I'm going to respect his wishes, but we talked about many things like books and TV, and of course some of his experiences with movies.
Love this. Great story.

What an experience for that person.

Didn't think it was possible, but now I love him even more.

Wait... How did he do that? I'm a bit confused... :?:

Amazing story though.

Ace

Nolan and Emma attend the premiere of Mowgli. (@ 0.50)

So Nolan has had that writer's beard now since May or April? What does that tell us? 4 hour movie? He seemed to have written the Dunkirk script very quickly for comparison.

Anyway, I was reading an interview with Sarah Goldberg - who stars with Bill Hader in Barry - and she said this about being an extra in TDKR:
I couldn’t resist asking Goldberg about her IMDB credit on Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises. “So yes, I auditioned for Analyst #1, and I had one line, which ended up in voiceover.” While she was living in England, American-accented performers were in demand for American movies shooting overseas. “I have one shot where I see something awful, and I have a reaction shot.”

She was also very impressed by Nolan’s treatment of the day players. “He was such a class act. I mean he came in. He knew all of our names. Like, I had nothing to do with this movie. And then he let us improvise, all day. I mean we shot all day this kind of CIA scene behind the scenes. And he gave so much room for collaboration and treated us all with so much respect even though he knew this was probably only going to be one second in the movie.”
Anyone else surprised Nolan works this way? Why are some of the extras so poor then?

She's this woman in TDKR btw:
https://i0.wp.com/caps.pictures/201/2-d ... -11172.jpg

Aww
Boooo