The Christopher Nolan Appreciation Thread

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I remember reading an interview where he says he hates seeing characters smoking. That it is "not cool". Could somebody find it for me?

Silfan wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 6:31 am
I remember reading an interview where he says he hates seeing characters smoking. That it is "not cool". Could somebody find it for me?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... r-director

This is one of the sources I could find for a similar sentiment:
Chris combined his debonair and self-assured manner with some peculiar hobby-horses. He was vehemently anti-smoking, castigating me once for have a crafty fag outside the basement while we waited for someone to turn up with a key. "People think it makes them look cool – it doesn't," was his pithy and (at the time) unfashionable view. I haven't seen all his movies, but I can't remember any Nolan heroes smoking in the ones I have.

DHOPW42 wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 6:38 am
Silfan wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 6:31 am
https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... r-director

This is one of the sources I could find for a similar sentiment:
Chris combined his debonair and self-assured manner with some peculiar hobby-horses. He was vehemently anti-smoking, castigating me once for have a crafty fag outside the basement while we waited for someone to turn up with a key. "People think it makes them look cool – it doesn't," was his pithy and (at the time) unfashionable view. I haven't seen all his movies, but I can't remember any Nolan heroes smoking in the ones I have.
Thanks. I am reading the book on oppenheimer and apparently he was chain smoking. I think we can be sure of one historical inaccuracy already haha.

Silfan wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 7:15 am
Thanks. I am reading the book on oppenheimer and apparently he was chain smoking. I think we can be sure of one historical inaccuracy already haha.
:D Yes, although, I'm sure he won't change that aspect... especially since smoking had quite a grave effect on Oppenheimer's health.

DHOPW42 wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 7:17 am
Silfan wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 7:15 am
:D Yes, although, I'm sure he won't change that aspect... especially since smoking had quite a grave effect on Oppenheimer's health.
Yeah, this is also true. But the way I know nolan, I don't know. I mean, oppenheimer coughing started since he was a young man. Are we really going to see this all through the movie? I just don't see him making a big fuss about that when people came to see the making of the atom bomb.

Imax has started to develop a new fleet of cameras, hoping to meet and built growing demand for its technology among filmmakers.

In cooperation with Kodak, Panavision and FotoKem, Imax will make and deploy at least four new, state-of-the-art film cameras over the next two years — growing its existing group of film cameras by 50% — with plans to put the first new device into use by late 2023.

“As Imax grows as a global platform for entertainment and events, we want to offer more filmmakers, storytellers and artists the opportunity to create with our unrivaled end-to-end technology,” said Megan Colligan, president of Imax Entertainment. “From our connected global network to Imax Enhanced for the home, the Imax Experience provides a more expansive creative canvas than ever, and these new film cameras will enable a new generation of creators along with those who already love working with the cameras a better way to unlock the power of Imax.”

Imax is working with filmmakers such as Jordan Peele and Christopher Nolan to identify new features for the prototype development phase, which is already underway. Peele’s next nightmarish film “Nope” (hitting screens on July 22, 2022) and Christopher Nolan’s upcoming war epic “Oppenheimer” (on track for 2023) were shot using the current generation of Imax film cameras and Kodak 65mm film.

“Imax film brings images to life,” Nolan said in a statement. “From resolution and color to sharpness and overall quality, there is nothing compared to using Imax film cameras today. Filmmakers and movie fans worldwide should be thrilled at the prospect of new and improved Imax film cameras — I know I am.”

Peele added, “Imax is movie magic pushed to its limit. When you see a film in an Imax theater, it feels like you are there. It’s complete immersion, and there’s nothing quite like it. And we are only at the beginning, there’s still so much to be explored in this format.”

New features for Imax technology will include a quieter design and a number of usability enhancements. Imax’s existing cameras and lenses will also get major upgrades as part of the program. The press release also reveals, “Kodak will offer enhanced technical support and manufacturing of the 65mm film stock. Panavision will provide a global network of enhanced service and maintenance for Imax camera productions worldwide along with new tools for the cameras and technical support for the cameras. FotoKem will work alongside the Imax camera and post-production departments to improve production workflows and coordinate lab and post services.”

The announcement comes as Imax makes a bigger push to integrate itself in the moviemaking process. In 2022, there will be at least 10 movies — “Jurassic World: Dominion” and “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness” among them — that involve Imax cameras. Upcoming films from Denis Villeneuve, Chloé Zhao and other directors have started shooting with Imax technology instead of retrofitting it later in the process. In the case of “Dune,” a recent release involving the premium format, Villeneuve actively advocated for audiences to watch his movie on Imax screens.
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/imax ... 235208022/

Love this guy's videos. He just made a whole video about our guy.

Forum Pro
A Borges man wrote:
April 1st, 2022, 2:25 am

watched this about a week ago and was immediately struck by the edit. These essay videos can be a bit derivative sometimes but the way they edit the various shots as basically B-roll can really help set them apart. But his analysis was also super informative and well-delivered. Love that he used a Tony Anderson track in the beginning, always found that composer's work significantly underrated

DylanHoang wrote:
April 13th, 2022, 6:52 pm
A Borges man wrote:
April 1st, 2022, 2:25 am

watched this about a week ago and was immediately struck by the edit. These essay videos can be a bit derivative sometimes but the way they edit the various shots as basically B-roll can really help set them apart. But his analysis was also super informative and well-delivered. Love that he used a Tony Anderson track in the beginning, always found that composer's work significantly underrated
Indeed. I don't even know if I agree with the evocation of Kierkegaard; Nolan always struck me as a Spinozist. But I just like there being serious critical engagement with the man's work instead of the twitter takes.