The Christopher Nolan Appreciation Thread

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Okay I mean, 30 minutes of IMAX is still 30 minutes of IMAX lol so cool cool
by comparison with the films' runtime that's almost just as much as TDK had, so nice

I read that they all had the issue of there not being enough IMAX camera's around so they could use it as much as they would have wanted. So lol, I hope they manufacture a whole lot more IMAX camera's so filmmakers can use it as much on their films as possible.
I'm sure Nolan will probably have at least an hour of IMAX footage if not more on Tenet though. I hope more filmmakers use 65mm next to IMAX. I think Nolan is the only one who's using both formats so far.

Nomis, I agree 100%

Also, there is this taboo with shooting 15 perf 65mm film because the cameras are so loud. I hope they work with some engineers or invest in R&D to make them sufficiently silent. Nolan said it's not possible with current technology but who knows if NASA or some swiss watch designers know the solution.

Once a full length movie is shot purely on 15 perf 65mm film that'll be it! That'll be phenomenal and something to celebrate!

As of now, we have to be content with sudden aspect ration changes that decrease the picture area 3 times. It's inconsistent & jarring.

Well, if they can seal the camera's hermetically for underwater stuff then I'd figure it'd be quieter but that results in an even more cumbersome thing it already is lol
Then again, apparently the 65mm camera's are heavier than IMAX camera's

Honestly I don't mind the aspect ratio changes that much but I must say TDKR's went back and forth to it the most of his films iirc.

But I really admire Nolan's love for large format film and how he and his crew keep pushing the boundaries of using the large format. I think Tenet will be yet another technical achievement for the ages.

Chris and Jonah at the Westworld premiere in LA yesterday.

Ace

Ace

It's weird that this never gets mentioned. You think we'll ever get to see this thing? I want to see Nolan's attempt at acting :lol:

I also found this from one of Nolan's university buddies:
A little known fact is that Chris actually made a feature film called ‘Larry Mahoney’ before he made ‘Following’. It was a rather arty ‘student angst’ type of film. He asked me to watch the rough cut with him and give him notes. I advised him to shelve it and make something more ‘genre’ with wider appeal, such as a noir, as I knew he was a noir fan.

Insomniac wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 2:40 pm

It's weird that this never gets mentioned. You think we'll ever get to see this thing? I want to see Nolan's attempt at acting :lol:

I also found this from one of Nolan's university buddies:
A little known fact is that Chris actually made a feature film called ‘Larry Mahoney’ before he made ‘Following’. It was a rather arty ‘student angst’ type of film. He asked me to watch the rough cut with him and give him notes. I advised him to shelve it and make something more ‘genre’ with wider appeal, such as a noir, as I knew he was a noir fan.
Lmao. Would love to see him make a cameo in something.

Ace
Fargo Theatre Gets Over $2,000 In Grant Money
CONTRIBUTORS INCLUDE THE CRITERION COLLECTION AND OSCAR-NOMINATED DIRECTORS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN, AND WES ANDERSON.

The Fargo Theatre is getting a big helping hand from big name celebrities.

The theatre received a $2,500 grant as part of a national fund to support art house cinemas that have closed due to the Coronavirus. Contributors include the Criterion Collection and Oscar-nominated directors Christopher Nolan, and Wes Anderson.

Staff say the funds are greatly appreciated as the theatre continues to take donations and sell gift cards.

“Our doors may be closed but we still have expenses everyday. It takes a lot just to keep the lights on the Fargo Theatre so this 25 hundred dollar grant is going to be huge to us,” Executive Director Emily Beck said.

Ace