what is christopher nolan weakness as a director??

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
every director has their own weakness and plus point. what is christopher nolan's weakness and plus point. i want this post to be active.

Action, particularly hand-to-hand combat.

This has been discussed a bit in other topics, but to me, his only flaw is that he doesn't let his scenes breathe and his films could feel a bit.. not slower really, just breathe a bit. Locations to breathe so we get a sense of location and geography I sometimes feel is lost within not just (but especially) action sequences, but various shots in general since he cuts sometimes almost frenetically.

Most people would probably say his take on action, though.

i think this is his weakness
Action, particularly hand-to-hand combat.

i hope you guy list me more of his weakness and pluspoints

redfirebird2008 wrote:Action, particularly hand-to-hand combat.
+1

redfirebird2008 wrote:Action, particularly hand-to-hand combat.
Dissagree, he is not the best at it, but its not a weakness. I found the hallway scene fight with JGL very good. Also the frozen lake scene in BB was also amazing

Let me see. Uh, hmm. uh... uhmm. err. :mrgreen:

Well I disagree with action as he mixes it well with plot and most of the times is seamless and adds to the story unlike Transformers etc.
I also like the Leon (The Professional it's called in America I think) approach he used in Batman Begins and making the viewer get in the head of the thugs when most of the film we follow Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Skip to 3:49 on this youtube clip if wanna see what they did in Leon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUl3nVn9YcY

Its's just a shame most people didn't see what he was trying to do, as it did work but it was a very unconvential way of doing an action scene that most people aren't use to. It was always the way I imagined the action in the Batman comics as well.

Vader182 wrote:This has been discussed a bit in other topics, but to me, his only flaw is that he doesn't let his scenes breathe and his films could feel a bit.. not slower really, just breathe a bit. Locations to breathe so we get a sense of location and geography I sometimes feel is lost within not just (but especially) action sequences, but various shots in general since he cuts sometimes almost frenetically.
Yeah thats a good point I think Ridley Scott likes letting his scenes in his films breath a bit longer than written in the script. The problem with a lot of his recent films is that they are quite long scripts but I remember Memento, Insomnia and Following having some pauses. I would like to see more of that in the future thinking about it.

rbevanx wrote: The problem with a lot of his recent films is that they are quite long scripts but I remember Memento, Insomnia and Following having some pauses. I would like to see more of that in the future thinking about it.
Yeah I agree. I think it's because of how his blockbuster films were edited (also how Zimmer's music is attached to the film). But I'm not really bothered by it. Honestly, I'm very impressed with how the pacing was done. Nolan's blockbuster films, just like his small-scale films, is a character-study. That's what matters to me

Sometimes he gets a bit too technical. Most of his films are not loose and free-flowing, they're mainly robotic. Not to say they're bad, not remotely, but Nolan's style of directing has to be precise with no filler which at times limit actor's performances.

It's rare for him to allow his actors to just run with it and see the results.