what is christopher nolan weakness as a director??

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Cilogy wrote: Maybe it's just because it's Batman. I never had that emotional reaction to BB or TDK. I did think that the movies were uniquely compelling, thrilling, had gripping stories, and very powerful performances, but it didn't have the emotional drive that came with Inception or Memento.
Oh I heartily disagree. Cause I felt very emotional watching all of his films especially TDK. Well, except Following of course.

hoppity-kick wrote:
Cilogy wrote: Maybe it's just because it's Batman. I never had that emotional reaction to BB or TDK. I did think that the movies were uniquely compelling, thrilling, had gripping stories, and very powerful performances, but it didn't have the emotional drive that came with Inception or Memento.
Oh I heartily disagree. Cause I felt very emotional watching all of his films especially TDK. Well, except Following of course.
Well, everyone deals with emotion differently. You can't compare opinions about emotion in film because people differ. Some found Alfred and Young Bruce's moment in Batman Begins very emotion, yet I didn't. Some found Inception had no effect on them, but it did with me. People differ and cope with emotion better than others. :thumbup:

I found Batman Begins to be very emotional, particularly when Bruce as a young adult finds the old doctor's kit and he remembers being a kid with his father. Or when he shows up at the court hearing to kill Chill. And many, many other scenes throughout the movie.

But to each his own. Not everyone is moved by the same things.

Mason wrote:
February 3rd, 2011, 10:46 am
I'm a massive Nolan fan, but if I had to pick one fault (one of very few) it would be his take on emotion. Don't get me wrong, the ending to Inception made me fill up, but his character emotion development isn't a high standard as say, his action scenes, his fighting sequences (yes, I love his hand to hand combat scenes, despite some peoples disappointment) and his camera angles, they are so well placed. But emotion, I think, is his biggest weakness.
That’s a bit subjective because people respond differently to emotions presented to them even if they are well written and it also depends on the overall context of the film, characters personalities, etc. For how these moments will be executed given that stories can be complex and different when it comes to drama. So he has been at the very least functional on the matter of emotionality. Now, he has improved throughout following movies but I never had that much of a problem with it though because they are not bad or mediocre emotional scenes. They are either functional, adequate, good, really good or great. Not all hit the mark but they work for the most part. I’m not saying that it is perfect (no film in existence is perfect) or that he shouldn’t keep improving because he must of course.

I would say the biggest weakness I’ve seen and mostly in TDK trilogy, is the choreography for the hand to hand combat scenes because some have noticeable non good details. That’s something he has to fix although he improved quite a bit on the next two sequels to Batman begins but still. Maybe Tenet will have better outcomes on that.

lmao, bringing mason back into the fray

-Vader

Not a fan of Dunkirk
And yes, I know what Nolan was trying to do

The movie (intentionally) lacks character development, but if I don't care about the characters that much, If I don't feel emotionally attached to them, I don't care about what happens at all. The action scenes are brilliantly directed, but that movie just doesn't work for me

Extras. Background generally I think.

BB - twin cop in Tumbler chase? - just weird;

TDK - there is one chinese young guy who looks at the camera for a second;

TDKR - THAT fight scene - but that guy is forgivable for me, and another - this time annoying as hell - guy looking at the camera when Bruce escapes the pit;

Dunkirk - maybe the first bombing on the beach, soldiers kind of waiting in line for their turn to get hit by the bomb, I don't know. And the "smiling" guy on the mole (I still insist that it wasn't a smile, some people have such stupid look when they stressed but if they erased it from DVD/BD there was something up...)

But probably these problems are because of Nolan's way of shooting - not as much takes, just move on?

CASE wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

TDKR - THAT fight scene - but that guy is forgivable for me, and another - this time annoying as hell - guy looking at the camera when Bruce escapes the pit;

Dunkirk - maybe the first bombing on the beach, soldiers kind of waiting in line for their turn to get hit by the bomb, I don't know. And the "smiling" guy on the mole (I still insist that it wasn't a smile, some people have such stupid look when they stressed but if they erased it from DVD/BD there was something up...)

But probably these problems are because of Nolan's way of shooting - not as much takes, just move on?
I don't disagree with any of this. but, out of curiosity when did you notice this stuff? First time watching or like 5th? I would never be able to spot this stuff the first time around...also, I don't see what the fuss was about with the Dunkirk face man...some people just react differently and its fine. The shot is great...all that matters.

A Borges man wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 3:57 am
CASE wrote:
December 15th, 2019, 1:34 pm

I don't disagree with any of this. but, out of curiosity when did you notice this stuff? First time watching or like 5th? I would never be able to spot this stuff the first time around...also, I don't see what the fuss was about with the Dunkirk face man...some people just react differently and its fine. The shot is great...all that matters.
Of course after several views.
And for example in the final fight in TDKR some extras are throwing soft lazy punches but that I would never spot by myself because the main focus is of course on Bane and Bat.

Dialogue and sound design are weaknesses.