what is christopher nolan weakness as a director??

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I'm a massive Nolan fan, but if I had to pick one fault (one of very few) it would be his take on emotion. Don't get me wrong, the ending to Inception made me fill up, but his character emotion development isn't a high standard as say, his action scenes, his fighting sequences (yes, I love his hand to hand combat scenes, despite some peoples disappointment) and his camera angles, they are so well placed. But emotion, I think, is his biggest weakness.

Mason01 wrote:I'm a massive Nolan fan, but if I had to pick one fault (one of very few) it would be his take on emotion. Don't get me wrong, the ending to Inception made me fill up, but his character emotion development isn't a high standard as say, his action scenes, his fighting sequences (yes, I love his hand to hand combat scenes, despite some peoples disappointment) and his camera angles, they are so well placed. But emotion, I think, is his biggest weakness.
what do you mean with emotion development i don´t see nothing wrong

lionsaulter wrote:
Mason01 wrote:I'm a massive Nolan fan, but if I had to pick one fault (one of very few) it would be his take on emotion. Don't get me wrong, the ending to Inception made me fill up, but his character emotion development isn't a high standard as say, his action scenes, his fighting sequences (yes, I love his hand to hand combat scenes, despite some peoples disappointment) and his camera angles, they are so well placed. But emotion, I think, is his biggest weakness.
Well, emotional scenes - like in Batman Begins, when young Bruce is crying with Alfred after his parents death, I didn't really feel anything emotional there. The same with the death of Rachel in The Dark Knight. It was supposed to be sad, but I didn't feel anything. I suppose it's just my view, nd many people are different, but that's the best way I can explain it :D

- But then again, Inception was very emotional at the end, Cobb finally meeting up with his Children. I suppose it depends on the film and it's theme.

u have no soul

just kidding, everybody has is point of view

lionsaulter wrote:u have no soul

just kidding, everybody has is point of view
:D Thanks

Mason01 wrote:
lionsaulter wrote:
Well, emotional scenes - like in Batman Begins, when young Bruce is crying with Alfred after his parents death, I didn't really feel anything emotional there. The same with the death of Rachel in The Dark Knight. It was supposed to be sad, but I didn't feel anything. I suppose it's just my view, nd many people are different, but that's the best way I can explain it :D
Bruce crying with Alfred was one of the saddest scenes. :batface:

chee wrote:
Mason01 wrote:
Bruce crying with Alfred was one of the saddest scenes. :batface:
I just didn't feel it, and I don't know why. Inception had more of an impact on me if I'm honest, and even The Prestige had some real moments in there.

:thumbup:

Well, an unfortunate drawback to the unreliable narrator is that the audience cannot trust him/her. So even when something that would normally be really emotionally grabbing, its not as much because it might not be as you think. His method dictates his weakness.

I'll tell you what he's weak on... he casts random ass people for small parts in his movies and they always act so badly they take me out of the movie.

"THE BOSS SAID HE'D MAKE THE BRIGHT LIGHTS GO AWAY, LIKE CHRISTMAS!"

"JUST TELL ME WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE? NEVER MIND."

"THAT'S DEFINITELY NOT GOOD!"

"NICE RIDE"

I hate that! It's like he goes out of his way to randomly insert a Micheal Bay moment in his film and just grabs some random dude at the bus for these parts. It just rubs me the wrong way to see that crap among a main cast of stellar actors.

At least Tiny Lister and Doug Ballard absolutely stole their scenes in TDK, and Inception at least replaced the Micheal Bay humor with sly dry wit.

Yeah I agree with Mason, I just didn't feel the emotion after Rachel's death. I felt it easily in Inception, The Prestige, and Memento however.

Maybe it's just because it's Batman. I never had that emotional reaction to BB or TDK. I did think that the movies were uniquely compelling, thrilling, had gripping stories, and very powerful performances, but it didn't have the emotional drive that came with Inception or Memento.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.