what is christopher nolan weakness as a director??

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
While I do not think he has many weaknesses, there are some flaws that show up occasionally I guess.

1) Hand-To-Hand combat: These scenes have always been tough in Nolan's films, especially in Batman Begins (IMO). However, he did improve a lot and had excellent hand-to-hand in Inception, so he is turning that into a strength.

2) Packs Everything In: I am not really sure that this is a weakness, because I honestly really enjoy the pace of his films. However, it is true that he could let some scenes linger on longer than he does. For example, the scene in TDK where the Joker has his head out of the taxi with his hair blowing in the air... I thought that should have lasted a few seconds longer to give it even more impact, but he cut it short. However, it was still a great scene, just a quick great scene. Nolan is definitely the opposite of Tarantino, who lets his scenes linger on WAY too long. But I do feel like Nolan could add a few seconds here and there to give the viewer a break.

And besides that... nothing :mrgreen:

In Batman Begins he definitely struggled with hand to hand combat. When you strip away Zimmer's bombastic score from the fight scene's, the combat loses all it's flavor and looks really amateur. He used really quick cuts in that film to the point where sometimes you couldn't even tell what was going on. (ie: Batman at the shipyard). But he made improvements with that in The Dark Knight and Inception, so he's learning.

Crazy Eight wrote:In Batman Begins he definitely struggled with hand to hand combat. When you strip away Zimmer's bombastic score from the fight scene's, the combat loses all it's flavor and looks really amateur. He used really quick cuts in that film to the point where sometimes you couldn't even tell what was going on. (ie: Batman at the shipyard). But he made improvements with that in The Dark Knight and Inception, so he's learning.
Go back to your home on Fincherfans.com!

Crazy Eight wrote:In Batman Begins he definitely struggled with hand to hand combat. When you strip away Zimmer's bombastic score from the fight scene's, the combat loses all it's flavor and looks really amateur. He used really quick cuts in that film to the point where sometimes you couldn't even tell what was going on. (ie: Batman at the shipyard). But he made improvements with that in The Dark Knight and Inception, so he's learning.
Yea, he's definitely improving on that. The ice fight was awesome though.

Go back to your home on Fincherfans.com!
Buuuubbbbbuuuuutttt there isn't one, and I like Nolan better!

Every director has weaknesses.

I know I was just kidding. :lol:

allstarr55js wrote:I know I was just kidding. :lol:
Yeah, I figured. :lol:

Just wanted to say that your signature is excellent, I have never seen that quote from Fincher but I really like it. Great director, we can never thank him enough for making "Fight Club"

TotemCheck21 wrote:While I do not think he has many weaknesses, there are some flaws that show up occasionally I guess.

1) Hand-To-Hand combat: These scenes have always been tough in Nolan's films, especially in Batman Begins (IMO). However, he did improve a lot and had excellent hand-to-hand in Inception, so he is turning that into a strength.

2) Packs Everything In: I am not really sure that this is a weakness, because I honestly really enjoy the pace of his films. However, it is true that he could let some scenes linger on longer than he does. For example, the scene in TDK where the Joker has his head out of the taxi with his hair blowing in the air... I thought that should have lasted a few seconds longer to give it even more impact, but he cut it short. However, it was still a great scene, just a quick great scene. Nolan is definitely the opposite of Tarantino, who lets his scenes linger on WAY too long. But I do feel like Nolan could add a few seconds here and there to give the viewer a break.

And besides that... nothing :mrgreen:
This is exactly what I mean. I feel as though, maybe something like 75% of his key shots should last longer. Whenever I begin to get sucked into a shot it just cuts. I'm a massive fan of long takes (as a massive fan of Kubrick, I'm not sure why he doesn't do this more) so I'm just used to falling into the frame and soaking up all the detail of his wonderfully planned shots. But it just ended, so I can't.

p.s. Nolan's my favorite working director today (tied with Kubrick for all time)

-Vader

I must be the only guy on the world that felt like I got what he was going for on Batman Begins. He always spoke of this idea of seeing it from the criminal's perspective. Never quite seeing exactly what Batman is doing or what he is, really pushing the monster or supernatural aspect. I feel as though Batman Begins overall is so much better looking than The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight's IMAX sequences are phenomenal of course, but the lighting overall, the art direction, and color grading all vastly superior in Batman Begins to me. Batman Begins has a look, The Dark Knight always seems like it's a stop under exposed, the 35mm portions look murky. Was not impressed with TDK as a whole.