what is christopher nolan weakness as a director??

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I say he sometimes messes up on continuty

xWhereAmI? wrote:I say he sometimes messes up on continuty
well, yeah. Sometimes.

hoppity-kick wrote:
xWhereAmI? wrote:I say he sometimes messes up on continuty
well, yeah. Sometimes.
Every director, even a perfectionist like Kubrick does that......
gluvnast wrote:
chee wrote:
Following, Memento, Insomnia, and The Prestige are all "free-flowing". :\
I only believe Following and Insomnia as "flow-flowing". Memento and The Prestige are most definitely controlled and structured. It's just Nolan's way, everything has to be exact as how it was written or described in the script. Very rarely he allows his actors to just "go with the flow".
Yeah you're right.

Btw, IMO Nolan's weakness is, so far, hand to hand combat. But, that's not completely his 'weak point' because the Bruce-Ducard training, zero-G hallway scene and the fights on TDK is really well done(although some fight scene in BB is not really good).
So, Nolan's weakness is.... Man, it's hard to find one.

Yeah you're right.

(although some fight scene in BB is not really good).

That is rubbish :JGLface:

I mean, a few of his action scenes aren't really the best and have the capacity to be slightly clunky at times, but I mean, I honestly think that's more with how they're edited than shot. Honestly, if I were to have one complaint with his films, its how a lot of various scenes are edited together.

Vader182 wrote:if I were to have one complaint with his films, its how a lot of various scenes are edited together.
:problem: :crazy: :wtf: :wtf: :think: :wtf: :geek: :geek:

lionsaulter wrote:
Vader182 wrote:if I were to have one complaint with his films, its how a lot of various scenes are edited together.
:problem: :crazy: :wtf: :wtf: :think: :wtf: :geek: :geek:
They can be a little clunky. Okay, like in the last interview with Wally the guys said it cut just as Leo was going to go nuts? I agree with that.. a lot of his action sequences can be a little awkward. A good example is when Arthur's shooting out at the guys on the roof, and we only really see him just shooting out, there's no momentum to the action scene since the shots of him shooting/with the shots of what he's shooting at don't complement each-other very well, it's just a poorly edited scene.

There's a lot of other examples where I just really wish he didn't cut in various places, but he always does, or it could've been cut quicker, etc.

On the whole, his editing is amazing, but a few scenes here or there are really bothersome for me.

Vader182 wrote: They can be a little clunky. Okay, like in the last interview with Wally the guys said it cut just as Leo was going to go nuts? I agree with that.
I don't agree with that. The moment is just so shocking, you don't need to linger on him crying afterward or anything. I thought there was just enough reaction that we understood how he felt.

I like very deliberately paced films, typically. Outside of Nolan, almost all my other favorite directors pace their films with a great deal of care and mastery, and Nolan tends to just blaze through things, cramming as much as humanly possible in the running time. I've always felt TDK/Inception were very much trimmed down 3 hour long films, crammed into 2 and a half hour long ones.

Examples of deliberate pacing:

Ghost Writer
Pulp Fiction/Basterds/Kill Bill
There Will Be Blood
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
All the President's Men
Michael Clayton

Just these types of films. I really feel Nolan could allow his whole narrative to breathe a little bit. He seems scared of pushing his running times too long. A great example is when Cobb goes into the Japanese castle. We see him go down and he puts a cutting device on the window CUT... see him randomly walking through a kitchen CUT he's now out in the open and CUT now going into the dining room area with the safe.. etc. He sometimes doesn't seem to take the time to show us as much as I feel he should. Inception feels as though there's so much going on, it really should be much longer.

Vader182 wrote: They can be a little clunky. Okay, like in the last interview with Wally the guys said it cut just as Leo was going to go nuts? I agree with that.