christopher nolan is influence by ridley scott visual style?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
tykjen wrote:Whenever Nolan sets out to re-imagine The Black Hole (Just a wish I have), I hope he will lean towards the Kubrick way of shooting and editing.
Your wish has been granted with Interstellar

jibran wrote:Paul Thomas Anderson is probably the closest thing right now to the next Kubrick- the time isn't fully right yet but I think it will happen. Interesting, as people once touted him as the new Scorsese. But in any case, I like to think of filmmakers as their own entity.
I strongly regret saying that first statement. He really is his own at this stage, hopefully IV will further his unique identity. The last thing he needs is to have his films become limp rehashes.

Anyway, Nolan. When I look at stuff like TDK and TDKR, I see Michael Mann, Sidney Lumet and Ridley Scott. Whatever Interstellar is, I hope it uses its influences to make something unique and interesting. I think everyone has an image of how it looks in their head, so we'll see how it compares.

In Nolan's films, he is clearly influenced by Ridley Scott, Stanley Kubrick, Michael Mann, Steven Spielberg. In other words, all the great directors.

Vader182 wrote:when I watch TDK I get a very.. 2001 feel. A lot of panning, a lot of wide's, a lot of longer cuts, the main thing is that Kubrick famously lets his shots really breathe, you absorb the image, and that sets the mood, tone, everything. Nolan did the same with TDK.
I know I'm replying to a three year old post but geez, what a strange thing to say. Nolan is doing the complete opposite of that and have done in all of his movies. Nolan cuts fast. Almost as fast as Michael Bay.

Average Shot Length for The Dark Knight: 3.1 seconds
Average Shot Length for 2001: 13.8 seconds

So yeah, practically the same.

Cop 223 wrote:
jibran wrote:Paul Thomas Anderson is probably the closest thing right now to the next Kubrick- the time isn't fully right yet but I think it will happen. Interesting, as people once touted him as the new Scorsese. But in any case, I like to think of filmmakers as their own entity.
I strongly regret saying that first statement. He really is his own at this stage, hopefully IV will further his unique identity. The last thing he needs is to have his films become limp rehashes.
Personally I think Fincher is really the closest to Kurbick today. Not so much in genre but in alost everything else. The perfectionist attitudes.