How you became a Nolan fan

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
And now "Inception" - a flick of my dream.
You haven't even seen the film. :lol:

chee wrote:
And now "Inception" - a flick of my dream.
You haven't even seen the film. :lol:
Yes, but that doesn't mean i can't have it in my list under the label "a flick of my dream". As my next sentence suggests (about the Kubrick and 200 mln) - i am as excited as if this greatest legendary director received some fat piece of cash for his psychedelic cinema trippings. I AM EXCITED! I AM EXCITED! I AM EXCITED! I AM EXCITED! I AM EXCITED! I AM EXCITED! :D

Nolan feels like another Kubrick...yes. A guy who is gonna change...um, no, already changing cinematography.

ps. i am excited

I grew up with Batman, so when I heard that someone would do a new angel on the Batman story i was thrilled (since iv always hated the old movies) I went to see it with my dad, and i was hooked on Nolans filmmaking from day one!
Since then I watched everyone of Nolan's movies, with my favorites being Memento and Following.
It all exploded in 2008 with The Dark Knight. Suddenly everybody knew about Nolan, but that didn't keep my passion from decreasing, I just wanted more. And this leads up to this day. Waiting with passion like alittle boy waiting for Christmas for July 16.

Saw a trailer for Memento when it was about to come out and it had me hooked. Watched it in the cinema, front row because it was sold out, so it was kind of hard to not forget that experience. :)

Been a fan ever since.

I was 15 when I saw "Batman Begins", I thought it was the greatest hero film ever made and it instantly became one of my favorite films, it wasn't until I saw "The Prestige" that I actually paid attention to Nolan, I was simply mesmerized by that movie, I thought the story was brilliant, then I checked on the director and saw he made this film called "Memento", I'd seen bits of the film before in pay per view shit and stuff but never had the chance to see it, so I bought it, I saw it and it was simply mind blowing, it would later become my favorite film, Chris Nolan is an inspiration since then, it's because of Memento I want to be a filmmaker.

First, I watch Insomnia back in theater during my high school years, mostly because Al Pacino is my fave. actor and there's Robin Williams and Hilary Swank. It was good. :ugeek: I wasn't aware of Memento back in those days, because it didn't played in theaters on my country. Then Batman Begins came out, I always liked Burton's Batman as a child, so I decide to watch it and was blown away by Nolan's take on the Batman. His dark and gritty but less gothic worked for me, and the cast is great. :thumbup:

I began seaching Nolan's previous work which is Memento and then watch it, first time it got me excited because the puzzle like of the story. The cast of Memento also great, especially because I loved L.A. Confidential (Pearce was great in it) and liked the first Matrix. :thumbup: Around the same time, The Prestige was released, liked it alot, I'm become a fan of his filmmaking style after it. :thumbup: The Dark Knight was even better. :clap:

And now I'm very anticipating Inception and his next projects. ;)

I saw a TV spot for Batman Begins one afternoon while watching The Simpsons (true story). I thought "damn, these idiots messed up the last Batman movies so badly, how the hell they gonna fix this up?". I told my friends, we all started laughing. Then we decided to go to the cinema and see it for ourselves, 'cause of the rave reviews I've been seeing everywhere. We came out stunned at what we saw, and ever since then I've been a Nolan fan. I researched some of his other movies, watched "Insomnia" and "Memento" and immediately knew he was no ordinary director. When "The Prestige" was announced, I almost wet my pants in excitement. :mrgreen:

I saw memento and then following from their i was hooked
Why you lurking my page brah?

Like several people I saw Batman Begins. Loved it. Brought dignity back to Batman and it was very well told and very different from any previous Batman flick. It felt smart, far more realistic than any other previous film, devoid of Burton's style which I don't hate, and everything was just practically dead on right on how to a Batman film.

Then after a year I saw a trailer for The Prestige highlighting who it was from. I was intrigued by the story premise. I believe I checked out Memento before the release of The Prestige, and loved it. Then I saw The Prestige, and loved that film too. To me if Nolan really does have several twists, they come far more natural than many other filmakers' attempts. I just loved how they were smart, highly entertaining films, but also generally accessible. I love David Lynch, but Nolan's films are for a larger audience, and people that say his films are too odd or twist like I guess, are too narrow minded in my opinion.

I became a Nolan fan when I watched Memento in August 2004 at a film fest. I loved it so much that I went online and found out that he had another movie called Insomnia. And that was pretty damn good. And then I found out that he was directing Batman Begins. Watched it first day first show - and I was hooked. I've watched every movie of his on opening day since then. And I don't plan on ending that streak any time soon. ;)

Watched Following pretty late actually - sometime in 2009, I think. Of all his movies, Batman Begins is the movie that I've watched the most - I never get tired of watching it.
Last edited by oracle86 on June 30th, 2012, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.