Nolan's views on specific flms

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Movies titles and Nolan's opinion on them / Titles & Quotes :

The Thin Red Line

"It’s one of the few films I’ve seen that, even though it’s based on a book, could only really be done in cinema. It’s just the essence of cinematic storytelling. It has a hypnotic quality where the viewer’s relationship with the photography, and the sound particularly, creates narrative points; it creates emotions that drive the narrative.

These things are created by the combination of picture and sound rather than the dialogue. A lot of films, a lot of great films in fact, could also be radio plays or television programmes or stage plays. The Thin Red Line is pure cinematic storytelling."
tasteofcinema

“If you watch The Thin Red Line, that was a revelation to me. [Malick is] cutting to memories and flashbacks with simple cuts; there are no wavy lines or dissolves. There are moments [in Memento] where Guy’s character is remembering his wife that were taken very much from that film.”Movieline

2001 : A Space Odyssey

"I saw 2001 when I was about seven years old. They re-released it after Star Wars so my dad took me and my brother to see it at the Odeon Leicester Square on the huge screen. It was just a mind-blowing experience and I’ve been a huge Kubrick fan ever since. All my friends at the time saw it and loved it; we didn’t understand it, but we used to argue about what it meant. It just has that sensory stimulation of pure cinema that speaks to people of all ages." Empire Magazine

“I just felt this extraordinary experience of being taken to another world,” Nolan said. “You didn’t doubt this world for an instant. It had a larger than life quality.” Entertainment Weekly