The Nolan Variations (Oct 2020 Book)

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Insomniac wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 1:59 pm
That train tracks photo is pretty great.

Also...

lol Christopher Priest reviewed it :lol:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/too ... n-s-movies

I really think this guy is obsessed.
“I hate your movies so much I’m gonna buy their screenplay books just to understand them so I can properly hate them”

I’m looking forward to getting the book. The live chat with Tom Shone was great and convinced me to buy the book. Did anyone else tune in? I think I was most fascinated by his tea cozy!

LOL yes! He kept pouring tea from the flask to a cup.

A big chunk of it was about the book (obvi it’s part of the book promotional campaign) but he did talk about interesting stuff. Sound Mixing (his favorite part of the filmmaking process ironically). The future of cinema and the celluloid film.

Can’t wait to get the book.

Tarssauce wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 6:50 pm

A big chunk of it was about the book (obvi it’s part of the book promotional campaign) but he did talk about interesting stuff. Sound Mixing (his favorite part of the filmmaking process ironically). The future of cinema and the celluloid film.

Did he talk about some potential projects he could tackle in the future , or at least some ideas :lol:(well, I think I already know the answer but let's try anyway)

Nolan62 wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 7:25 pm
Did he talk about some potential projects he could tackle in the future , or at least some ideas :lol:(well, I think I already know the answer but let's try anyway)
He said it’s way too early to talk about what he’s doing next.

Tom asked him if he would make smaller film (like he did with ‘Quay’ for example) and he said something like this: he liked the idea of doing things himself at a very small scale but he developed the skill to somehow do what wants under the studio system (this obviously not a direct quote). So the answers is ‘No’ lol.

Tom also asked him if he’d do horror and I honestly he said it’s one of the hardest genre to do and he mentioned The Shining as a notable horror film. He said he isn’t doing horror because they’re usually too depressing but he uses or would use techniques (the visceral aspect of horror and the sound) in his projects. So again the answers seems to be ‘No’.

Tarssauce wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Yea, I liked that Chris talked about how he enjoys stretching the boundaries of the audio/sound experience. Not surprised that he mentioned how American audiences have been resistant to him breaking out of the traditional model. He must have been thinking about the negative reviews/commentary on the sound mixing of his recent films, like not being able to hear what Tom Hardy’s dialogue in Dunkirk. I actually liked that it was realistic.

lessons learnt from the live conversation event in such challenging times:

STAY HYDRATED

Fika wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 4:55 pm
I’m looking forward to getting the book. The live chat with Tom Shone was great and convinced me to buy the book. Did anyone else tune in? I think I was most fascinated by his tea cozy!
Is it possible to watch the live chat back somewhere?