C.Nolan you must let people know.

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Seriously the amount of complete and utter bollocks people have been posting on inception is starting to drive me crazy. look at this retarded post for instance.

"Can someone explain me this…
When he was on the phone with his kids, He said “putt grandma on the phone” and little girl said “she is shaking your head” or something like that, so does it mean that he is at home sleeping and dreaming??"

What a fucking retarded question, it's like peoples brains completly switch off and just start spewing drivle because the film involves dreaming and is not 100% cut and dry.
Going through the various inception boards is enough to send anyone completly mad.

The entire point of the film was to make us wondering, why would he spoil it? I don't think he even got a final answer to the film. Thats the beauty of it.

Not a great way to start your membership on the forums. Go read the rules dude.

not a good look to start off with a post lookin like a troll :batface:

While I agree that whoever made the comment you quoted was either high or simply doesn't have the mental capacity of the average person; I don't want Nolan to tell us how he perceives the ending. It would defeat the purpose.

I don't think it would.

Kubrick came out and gave the definitive answer for 2001... didn't stop the internet from formulating their own opinions.

RomanM wrote: Kubrick came out and gave the definitive answer for 2001... didn't stop the internet from formulating their own opinions.
The films have completely different circumstances. 2001 has multiple questions that people have theorized about; where as Inception has one. Was it a dream or reality? Kubrick coming out and stating that on the deepest psychological levels 2001 that is about man's search for God is still a very broad statement and doesn't answer the meaning of the ending of the film. Where as if Nolan came out and stated whether Cobb was in a dream or reality it would destroy the mystery that makes the film so intriguing to most people.

The main difference between 2001 and Inception is that 2001 is a mystery, whereas Inception is a puzzle. 2001 is not a mind-game constructed for the sake of entertainment, the beauty of it is that there is no right or wrong way to interpret it. A religious person might say that the monolith represents God and the film's about man's search for God and meaning of life (existence). While a more open-minded atheist might argue the whole narrative is about based on the notion that extraterrestrial life does exist, and is having a profound impact on our lives and evolution. Really, there are so many ways to look at 2001.

Now what is Inception then? Well, essentially it is a mind-game that also happens to be a epic-scale action blockbuster with stars. The only real question it asks is whether or not the whole film is a dream, which basically makes it a metafilm, concerns the nature of imagination, creation, and filmmaking. I personally don't see it as a philosophical film that asks existential questions yet. But again, that's not what Nolan intends to do, he just wanted to make a really fun, smart, and engaging action pic that plays around with our mind and forces us to reconsider what is "it".

CrazyEight wrote: No, Kubrick publicly stated that the film is about man's search for God.
That's how Kubrick interprets his own work. There is no official interpretation of the central object/metaphor of 2001 - the monolith, in fact it is also publicly known as an alien device. Yes, it could mean God, but it still works equally effectively for the non-religious.