Peter Jackson is no where near on par with Nolan

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
niniendowarrior wrote:When Tony Stark stopped developing, the movie went downhill.
I think you're right. The bulk of Stark's character development was done within the first half-hour of the movie so the rest of it just felt tacked on.

The EW list was actually expanded to 50, here's the link:

http://thefilmstage.com/2009/02/19/the- ... ing-to-ew/

Here it is as well:

26. Woody Allen
27. Brad Bird
28. David Cronenberg
29. Sofia Coppola
30. Bryan Singer
31. Sam Mendes
32. Mel Gibson
33. The Wachowski Brothers
34. J.J. Abrams
35. Alfonso Cuaron
36. Hayao Miyazaki
37. Mike Leigh
38. Oliver Stone
39. Roman Polanski
40. Spike Jonze
41. Richard Linklater
42. Spike Lee
43. David Lynch
44. Wong Kar-Wai
45. Wes Anderson
46. Mira Nair
47. Andrew Stanton
48. Michael Moore
49. Mary Harron
50. Sidney Lumet

I think the additions to the list only makes it even worse. Bryan Singer hasn't directed anything worth watching since X-Men 2 and I consider it an absolute insult that The Wachowski Brothers and J.J. Abrams are actually on the list. Andrew Stanton has only directed ONE movie (WALL-E) and while I loved that movie, He is in no way deserving of being on a top 50 list, especially ahead of Sidney Lumet who somehow got stuck at the end of the list.

My mistake - Andrew Stanton has only directed TWO films (Finding Nemo, WALL-E), and while those are great films and I loved them, I don't think that's enough to be considered one of the top 50 best directors working today.

I diasgree. Jackson is just as good of a film maker as Nolan.

Steven Spielberg was a pioneer of directing
but he isn't the greatest by far.

Peter Jackson i think is good, not great.
He is regarded as the "best' because of his massive gross in movies.

#1fan wrote:Steven Spielberg was a pioneer of directing
but he isn't the greatest by far.

Peter Jackson i think is good, not great.
He is regarded as the "best' because of his massive gross in movies.
Ya. I think he's massively overrated. Lord of the Rings and King Kong weren't that great. The Lovely Bones is more proof that he can't do a decent job directing a movie consistently.

I really don't like how Cameron made the list. He's great with visuals, but I wouldn't call him one of the greatest movie directors out there. Like others said, how did Shyamalan not make the list :shock:

They seemed to have made this list by mixing a couple of different philosophies. The first is the What-have-you-done-for-me-lately philosophy. This is why guys like Jackson and Favreau are on here. The other philosophy is the big-name philosophy which explains how high Spielburg is despite his recent decline.

Unfortunately for Shaymalan, he is in between these two philosophies. He established himself too late to be considered a great director and his most recent work has been considered crap (despite it being far from it). I am hoping Shaymalan can make it back to people's good side with The Last Airbender. The Trailers look beautiful and the source material is very solid. This was a good career move on his part.

I think Jackson's still got potential. Yes, The Lord of the RIngs trilogy was plagued by poor pacing and bad CGI, but they were a huge cinematic achievement. His recent efforts have disappointed, but I still think he can pull out something great.

Spielberg is my favorite director of all time, but in no way is he the greatest current director.

Unfortunately for Shaymalan, he is in between these two philosophies. He established himself too late to be considered a great director and his most recent work has been considered crap (despite it being far from it). I am hoping Shaymalan can make it back to people's good side with The Last Airbender. The Trailers look beautiful and the source material is very solid. This was a good career move on his part.
I don't think Shaymalan could be considered a great director, in my opinion. He made a great movie (The sixth sense), a good one (Unbreakable) and a bunch of awful films. I give up on him with Signs.
Someway, he lost the track.

I think he has grown as a film-maker a lot sense the sixth sense actually. The sixth sense is beautifully written, but once you know the twist it begins to lose its charm (at least to me). I think his writing ability has gone down sense Unbreakable and the Sixth Sense, but his directing ability has gone way up. I personally loved Lady in the Water and think its a really beautiful film. The happening was a hiccup, but it isn't as ad as people made it out to be.