Nolan's Trademarks

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
George wrote:Characters motivated by tragedy, resulting in revenge and/or guilt.

Memento -
death of Leonard Shelby's wife's, death of Natalie's husband
Insomnia -
death Dormer's partner Hap, guilt over planted evidence
Batman Begins -
death of Bruce Wayne's parents, guilt believing it to be his own fault
The Prestige -
death of Robert Angier's wife, death of Alfred Borden's wife
The Dark Knight -
death of Rachel affecting both Harvey Dent and Bruce Wayne

Another driving theme is really paranoia as well. Something that, I have read in multiple interviews, informs Nolan in life as well as in his work. He does carry both passports on him at all times, heh :)

chee wrote:
filmfanatic wrote:The theme that prevails in all of his films, that connects all of them, is identity and identity conflict. It is the major focus of my book on Nolan that is near completion. Obsession and revenge are certainly there, but identity rules the roost. All of the major characters in his films have to grapple with some identity conflict to some degree or another. Allow me to quickly skim the surface and break it down:
Buying this. Image

I hope so! ;)

I think that Christopher Nolan is the "Master of the Subjective Protagonist". He can always get you inside the main characters head.

Memento: For more reasons than one
Insomnia: The setting and camera placement/movement are an external symbol of how tire dormer is
Batman Beginswe spend some much time getting to know bruce wayne than we do of batman that we can relate to both
The PrestigeThe way Nolan uses the diaries of angier and borden to tell the story is a great way to get inside their heads
The Dark KnightThe dialogues of Harvey Dent, Joker and Batman are symbolic of what they are like in the comics.

Eternalist wrote:
rbevanx wrote:"Don't forget - Bruce Wayne is the mask, Batman is the true identity."

I don't think it's Batman and I think there is more than one Bruce Wayne tbh.

There is

Batman- which repersents his anger at losing his parents, and is channeled to make the persona Batman
Play boy Bruce Wayne - Which is the impression he gives to the public like getting drunk and burning down his house in Batman Begins
Matches Malone - Which is his undercover persona in Batman Begins, but the name is never given but we see him dressed as a bum in certain parts.
Bruce Wayne - Which is what we see when he is with Alfred and Rachael and is his true identidy.

"Playboy Bruce Wayne" is just a mask, something he puts on to play the part of a bachelor billionaire.
Bruce Wayne isn't "dressed up" as a bum, he WAS one. He became a bum in order to see the roots of criminality and to delve into the psyche of criminals.
Bruce Wayne does not exist, he may be in there somewhere, but I don't believe he will ever surface again. This was made clear at the end of Batman Begins. Bruce died when his parents died, there is only Batman. You can see that almost his entire time as Bruce Wayne is dedicated to his next mission as Batman.
That's not the way I see it. Thats not the way I describe it in my story for Batman 3. And great writers like ED Brubaker and Greg Rucka don't think that way neither, as you can see in the long story Bruce Wayne bodyguard:murderer:fugitive.

Unlike Spiderman, Bruce Wayne is hiding behind his alter ego, because he's afraid to live his loved ones death again, but Bruce is still here.

Also, Hush is trying to hurt Bruce Wayne, and it does work.

Leo Ho Tep wrote:
Eternalist wrote:
rbevanx wrote:"Don't forget - Bruce Wayne is the mask, Batman is the true identity."

I don't think it's Batman and I think there is more than one Bruce Wayne tbh.

There is

Batman- which repersents his anger at losing his parents, and is channeled to make the persona Batman
Play boy Bruce Wayne - Which is the impression he gives to the public like getting drunk and burning down his house in Batman Begins
Matches Malone - Which is his undercover persona in Batman Begins, but the name is never given but we see him dressed as a bum in certain parts.
Bruce Wayne - Which is what we see when he is with Alfred and Rachael and is his true identidy.

"Playboy Bruce Wayne" is just a mask, something he puts on to play the part of a bachelor billionaire.
Bruce Wayne isn't "dressed up" as a bum, he WAS one. He became a bum in order to see the roots of criminality and to delve into the psyche of criminals.
Bruce Wayne does not exist, he may be in there somewhere, but I don't believe he will ever surface again. This was made clear at the end of Batman Begins. Bruce died when his parents died, there is only Batman. You can see that almost his entire time as Bruce Wayne is dedicated to his next mission as Batman.
That's not the way I see it. Thats not the way I describe it in my story for Batman 3. And great writers like ED Brubaker and Greg Rucka don't think that way neither, as you can see in the long story Bruce Wayne bodyguard:murderer:fugitive.

Unlike Spiderman, Bruce Wayne is hiding behind his alter ego, because he's afraid to live his loved ones death again, but Bruce is still here.
Well thats how he is portrayed in the films, Harvey Dent dosen't die in the comics etc.

I disagree. He wants to live with Rachel. He's hiding behind Batman in order no to suffer, even in the films. Batman seems to have taken over Bruce Wayne, but he doesn't. If he really didn't care for his bruce wayne life, he would sale all he has, build a batcave elsewhere, and live only in his batcave.

Leo Ho Tep wrote:I disagree. He wants to live with Rachel. He's hiding behind Batman in order no to suffer, even in the films. Batman seems to have taken over Bruce Wayne, but he doesn't. If he really didn't care for his bruce wayne life, he would sale all he has, build a batcave elsewhere, and live only in his batcave.
Well fair enough if you think that but he uses the Batman to fight crime. The real him is the Bruce Wayne around Alfred and Rachael (Not the public one)

rbevanx wrote:
Leo Ho Tep wrote:I disagree. He wants to live with Rachel. He's hiding behind Batman in order no to suffer, even in the films. Batman seems to have taken over Bruce Wayne, but he doesn't. If he really didn't care for his bruce wayne life, he would sale all he has, build a batcave elsewhere, and live only in his batcave.
Well fair enough if you think that but he uses the Batman to fight crime. The real him is the Bruce Wayne around Alfred and Rachael (Not the public one)
exactly. If I'm correct, all of us has 3 personalities: the one other see, the one we are, and the one we want to be : people see the drunk playboy, he wants to be a vigilante without emotions, and he's the bruce wayne Alfred and Rachel know.

Can we just agree to disagree lol.

The subject is rather boring and he clearly has 4 identdys. Matches Malone, playboy Bruce Wayne, Bruce Wayne, Batman with his true self being the Bruce Wayne who is around Alfred and Rachael.
The Batman identdy is his rage or a symbol to create fear amongst his enemies, the only time this has failed was with the Joker in the Police station etc.