Nolan's Trademarks

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
"Don't forget - Bruce Wayne is the mask, Batman is the true identity."

I don't think it's Batman and I think there is more than one Bruce Wayne tbh.

There is

Batman- which repersents his anger at losing his parents, and is channeled to make the persona Batman
Play boy Bruce Wayne - Which is the impression he gives to the public like getting drunk and burning down his house in Batman Begins
Matches Malone - Which is his undercover persona in Batman Begins, but the name is never given but we see him dressed as a bum in certain parts.
Bruce Wayne - Which is what we see when he is with Alfred and Rachael and is his true identidy.

rbevanx wrote:"Don't forget - Bruce Wayne is the mask, Batman is the true identity."

I don't think it's Batman and I think there is more than one Bruce Wayne tbh.

There is

Batman- which repersents his anger at losing his parents, and is channeled to make the persona Batman
Play boy Bruce Wayne - Which is the impression he gives to the public like getting drunk and burning down his house in Batman Begins
Matches Malone - Which is his undercover persona in Batman Begins, but the name is never given but we see him dressed as a bum in certain parts.
Bruce Wayne - Which is what we see when he is with Alfred and Rachael and is his true identidy.

"Playboy Bruce Wayne" is just a mask, something he puts on to play the part of a bachelor billionaire.
Bruce Wayne isn't "dressed up" as a bum, he WAS one. He became a bum in order to see the roots of criminality and to delve into the psyche of criminals.
Bruce Wayne does not exist, he may be in there somewhere, but I don't believe he will ever surface again. This was made clear at the end of Batman Begins. Bruce died when his parents died, there is only Batman. You can see that almost his entire time as Bruce Wayne is dedicated to his next mission as Batman.

I can't say that it's a "Nolan Trademark", because I think it appears only in Batman Begins and The Prestige, but in these two films it's very promiment that there are many repeated lines that show up throughout the film many times. For exapmle:

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

"- You haven't given up on me?
- Never."

And in The Prestige:

"Are you watching closely?"

"Playboy Bruce Wayne" is just a mask, something he puts on to play the part of a bachelor billionaire.”

Yes I agree

“Bruce Wayne isn't "dressed up" as a bum, he WAS one. He became a bum in order to see the roots of criminality and to delve into the psyche of criminals.”

I’m lost now, do you mean at the start of the film where he leaves Gotham City, and trains as a ninja with the league of Shadows.
Because that’s not what I meant. He was dressed as bum when he was outside city hall monitoring a conversation with Dawes and Finch. Also a conversation with Flass and Maroni, which tells Bruce where the shipment of drugs are gonna be.
The name of that alter ego is never given in the film, but it is in the comic.

“Bruce Wayne does not exist, he may be in there somewhere, but I don't believe he will ever surface again. This was made clear at the end of Batman Begins. Bruce died when his parents died, there is only Batman. You can see that almost his entire time as Bruce Wayne is dedicated to his next mission as Batman.”

Batman is what channels his anger from his parent’s death. Bruce Wayne we see with Rachael and Alfred is him.
It’s not like Superman where Clark Kent is the mask and Superman is him.
Batman is something that uses as a symbol of fear but is clearly not his true personality but a mask like the playboy Bruce Wayne

rbevanx wrote:“Bruce Wayne isn't "dressed up" as a bum, he WAS one. He became a bum in order to see the roots of criminality and to delve into the psyche of criminals.”

I’m lost now, do you mean at the start of the film where he leaves Gotham City, and trains as a ninja with the league of Shadows.
Because that’s not what I meant. He was dressed as bum when he was outside city hall monitoring a conversation with Dawes and Finch. Also a conversation with Flass and Maroni, which tells Bruce where the shipment of drugs are gonna be.
The name of that alter ego is never given in the film, but it is in the comic.
Ah, I see, I apologize for my confusion. I thought that you were referring to the "bum" Bruce Wayne on his travels. In your case, you are correct, it was most likely (although not stated) Matches Malone.
rbevanx wrote:“Bruce Wayne does not exist, he may be in there somewhere, but I don't believe he will ever surface again. This was made clear at the end of Batman Begins. Bruce died when his parents died, there is only Batman. You can see that almost his entire time as Bruce Wayne is dedicated to his next mission as Batman.”

Batman is what channels his anger from his parent’s death. Bruce Wayne we see with Rachael and Alfred is him.
It’s not like Superman where Clark Kent is the mask and Superman is him.
Batman is something that uses as a symbol of fear but is clearly not his true personality but a mask like the playboy Bruce Wayne
That's your interpretation, and I can't fault you for it because it may be correct. However, I believe the films suggest the opposite. That Bruce Wayne is no longer the true identity, that Batman has taken over. That was what I believe the films were trying to convey.

filmfanatic wrote:The theme that prevails in all of his films, that connects all of them, is identity and identity conflict. It is the major focus of my book on Nolan that is near completion. Obsession and revenge are certainly there, but identity rules the roost. All of the major characters in his films have to grapple with some identity conflict to some degree or another. Allow me to quickly skim the surface and break it down:
Buying this. Image

Characters motivated by tragedy, resulting in revenge and/or guilt.

Memento -
death of Leonard Shelby's wife's, death of Natalie's husband
Insomnia -
death Dormer's partner Hap, guilt over planted evidence
Batman Begins -
death of Bruce Wayne's parents, guilt believing it to be his own fault
The Prestige -
death of Robert Angier's wife, death of Alfred Borden's wife
The Dark Knight -
death of Rachel affecting both Harvey Dent and Bruce Wayne

No death in Following driving the main lead though.

rbevanx wrote:No death in Following driving the main lead though.
True, he just does things because he is lonely.

rbevanx wrote:No death in Following driving the main lead though.

It might not be explicitly there but it is implied as well. A great fear for many is the fear of being alone. I think you can apply that subtext to the main character.