Is he a "Cold Filmmaker"?

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
The Silent Guardian wrote:I actually skipped over him writing The Prestige, I have yet to see it.

How good is it compared to his 4 films I have seen Inception, TDK, Memento, and BB
You haven't seen The Prestige? I really recommend it. Very emotional movie.

The Silent Guardian wrote:I actually skipped over him writing The Prestige, I have yet to see it.

How good is it compared to his 4 films I have seen Inception, TDK, Memento, and BB
It competes for second place behind Inception for me with TDK and Memento.

JRM
theweatherman wrote:
JRM wrote:I think it's a bunch of b.s. Inception, The Prestige, and The Dark Knight were all very emotional and well done ones at that, imho.
You forgot Memento. Extremely emotional.
And Memento. Guess I didn't mention it because I didn't find it 'as' emotional as those 3 (from what I remember). But yes, it does have its emotional moments for sure.

Memento is a beautiful movie, the plight of one man whose wife is dead and his memory no longer reliable makes for a lump in your throat narrative, whilst The Prestige and Inception as well can be read as stories about men who only want to be reunited with their kids. There's three films there and they both deal with leading characters separated from loved ones, I like to know how in any way one cannot be moved by that? :JGLface:

chee wrote:

You haven't seen The Prestige? I really recommend it. Very emotional movie.

Thanks to you and weatherman, I'll see it as soon as possible. I'll also try to see Insomnia, and Following very soon.

in the end, he's a very interesting storyteller I don't see filmmakers or artists in general on terms of up and down, black and white, cold and warm, the way they express their art defines how good they are, how far they can get, I don't think there are many people out there that can tell you Chris Nolan is known for making "cold films"

The Prestige is amazing. It is Bale's best performance other than American Psycho. Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Rebecca Hall, and David Bowie all give excellent performances as well. The cinematography is amazing and the story is awesome. I personally rate it a 9.5/10 and consider it Nolan's third best film behind Inception and Memento.
JRM wrote:
And Memento. Guess I didn't mention it because I didn't find it 'as' emotional as those 3 (from what I remember). But yes, it does have its emotional moments for sure.
This is arguably the most emotional moment in any of his films other than the stuff with Leo/Marion in Inception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8wQJqk_mc

redfirebird2008 wrote:

The Prestige is amazing. It is Bale's best performance other than American Psycho. Hugh Jackman, Michael Caine, Rebecca Hall, and David Bowie all give excellent performances as well. The cinematography is amazing and the story is awesome. I personally rate it a 9.5/10 and consider it Nolan's third best film behind Inception and Memento.
JRM wrote:
This is arguably the most emotional moment in any of his films other than the stuff with Leo/Marion in Inception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8wQJqk_mc
I trust your opinion a lot, so I am going to see it for sure.

(However I disagree with giving you an 8/10 for TDK, that is a 10/10, and a masterpiece).
:lol:

every Nolan film should be seen by everyone.
there's nothing quite like it

No, I never particularly understood that. I find it surprising that critics make this claim, because they can't find emotional aspects in these very tragic stories. Are certain characters cold? Sure. Look at The Prestige? Though I never hated either one and sympathized with the both of them. Am I in tears in Memento? No. Am I haunted? Most certainly.