If not Nolan, who will be best living director

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
I mean, who was likely will be Nolan rival based on their 2010s works.

IMO It either between
-Martin Scorsese
-David Fincher
-Ridley Scott
-James Cameron

As much as I loved Prometheus and liked The Martian, Ridley has no chance. Scorsese and Fincher are much closer to that title. Cameron does his films too rarely.

I'd say, the best living director is Spielberg. However, recenetly he's definitely in a slump (by his standards). I'd say Nolan is easily the best director working today. Fincher, Scorsese, Wes Anderson, Inarritu, Cuaron, Park and PTA are close, with Chazzelle, Villenueve slowly knocking on the doors.

Allthiugh Nolan is my favorite, there is no doubt Spielberg is the greatest director alive. In terms of box office gross, critics and awards he just crushes everybody.

Scorsese might be number 2, but he's even older than Spielberg and doesn't have a lot of working years left. So Tarantino will easily beat him out if he haven't already.

After those three I think it's pretty close between Fincher and Nolan, but with Nolan having released more great movies in a shorter period of time (working in the business for about 15 years versus Fincher's 25).

Nolan could easily be on the top together with Tarantino in like 20 years (when Scorsese and Spielberg are dead) if he continues like he has, but he's definitely gonna be challenged by people like Villenueve and Chazelle.

Tarantino was 28 when he made Reservoir dogs, same age Chazelle were when he made Whiplash. The guy is amazingly talented.

PTA

LelekPL wrote:As much as I loved Prometheus and liked The Martian, Ridley has no chance. Scorsese and Fincher are much closer to that title. Cameron does his films too rarely.

I'd say, the best living director is Spielberg. However, recenetly he's definitely in a slump (by his standards). I'd say Nolan is easily the best director working today. Fincher, Scorsese, Wes Anderson, Inarritu, Cuaron, Park and PTA are close, with Chazzelle, Villenueve slowly knocking on the doors.
Cameron will probably direct Avatar 2-5 in 2018-2023 so I think he has chances because he is the director of two highest grossing worldwide Titanic and Avatar.

I know Spielberg can easily be the best but his recently work is not great (Bridge of Spies, The BFG). I mean he was pass his prime right now so I think it be like this order
1.Scorsese (unlike Spielberg, he still hold the quality of his work until now)
2.Fincher
3.Scott (I still think he is better director than Wes Anderson, Inarritu, Cuaron, Park and PTA)

Sanchez wrote:Allthiugh Nolan is my favorite, there is no doubt Spielberg is the greatest director alive. In terms of box office gross, critics and awards he just crushes everybody.

Scorsese might be number 2, but he's even older than Spielberg and doesn't have a lot of working years left. So Tarantino will easily beat him out if he haven't already.

After those three I think it's pretty close between Fincher and Nolan, but with Nolan having released more great movies in a shorter period of time (working in the business for about 15 years versus Fincher's 25).

Nolan could easily be on the top together with Tarantino in like 20 years (when Scorsese and Spielberg are dead) if he continues like he has, but he's definitely gonna be challenged by people like Villenueve and Chazelle.

Tarantino was 28 when he made Reservoir dogs, same age Chazelle were when he made Whiplash. The guy is amazingly talented.
I know in fact, Spielberg is the greatest but he is pass his prime. His recently work is good (but not on par with Scorsese, Nolan, Fincher who still direct a new masterpiece). Scorsese may older than Spielberg but unlike Spielberg, he was still direct a new masterpiece (Shutter Island, The Wolf of Wall Street).Also he is going to direct The Irishman (2018) and The Devil in the White City (2020). Silence (Scorsese's new work) is release today to.

Tarantino had high potential but he was confirm which he will be retirement after 2 more films so he will probably be consider be one of the best director of all time due to his fanbase but definite not the BEST. If he still direct more work like Nolan, he will definite be Nolan rival easily.

Right now, Scorsese was consider be the best living director but he was 74 and Nolan was 46. When Scorsese and Spielberg are dead. Either between Nolan and Fincher will be consider be best living director (like Scorsese and Spielberg of this age) with challenged by Villenueve and Chazelle (like Nolan and Fincher of this age). But isn't Villenueve is older than Nolan so I don't he will be better than Nolan though.
Last edited by Akemi Kou on February 25th, 2017, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Akemi Kou wrote:Right now, Scorsese was consider be the best living director
According to you? You can't say your opinion is what's generally considered.

You're asking who is the best director alive, not who has made the best movies the past 15 years (in that case it's Nolan, hands down). And if you ask hundred different film critics I can assure you that most of them is gonna tell you that Spielberg is the greatest. There isn't even a competition.

Sanchez wrote:
Akemi Kou wrote:Right now, Scorsese was consider be the best living director
According to you? You can't say your opinion is what's generally considered.

You're asking who is the best director alive, not who has made the best movies the past 15 years (in that case it's Nolan, hands down). And if you ask hundred different film critics I can assure you that most of them is gonna tell you that Spielberg is the greatest. There isn't even a competition.
When I said the word "consider" is not my opinion but mostly from what I see the result between those two according to poll.
http://www.movieforums.com/community/sh ... hp?t=43869
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/bette ... 453923753/
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1094196
Most of critic will choose Spielberg over Scorsese or not, I don't know but from what I see most people is prefer Scorsese over Spielberg as the better director so that why I considered like that. Both of Spielberg and Scorsese had been work around 5 decade but Scorsese still hold the qaulity of his work. Spielberg may be better in 80s-90s but the entire life is another story.

If it was my opinion, I prefer Spielberg over Scorsese but what I talk is more about FACT which is from most of people preferance.

:wave:

Alejandro Iñárritu wrote::wave:
Lol I totally forget Alejandro Inarritu, but he is rarely direct a film like Cameron.