Nolan's downfall.

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Sorry for the misleading title. It should be considered as a question, but I wanted to attract attention somehow.

I'm just wondering... If we follow the laws of fame and glamour we can assume that almost each and every celebrity or filmmaker reaches a point where he makes a bad decision (or bad according to the audience or critics) which then turns everything around and his head is then in the center of the media's sniper-scope. As much as we all love Nolan and as much as we all think he's too good, smart and perfect to do anything stupid, we should admit many people (even we maybe) have done the same mistake before us. The mistake of trusting a celebrity too much. Whether it will be a movie too cotroversial or a dead hooker, something just might spoil Nolan's reputation and break his constantly upgrading combo of movies. So my question is, if something like that is possible in a world where Nolan exists and if that's possible to happen to Nolan, what would it be?

Any guesses? Maybe I'm thinking too much ahead of myself and Nolan but it does concern us all doesn't it? And maybe it isn't a positive thing to think about but... well.. again... it does concern us all.

apw
I'm sure Nolan will make creative mistakes in his career. All film makers do.

It will be Batman 3. I fully expect it to be really awesome, but I also expect it to disappoint many. I see him getting further away from Batman canon with the nest one which will definitely create many enemies.

His downfall will be by people who continue to place ridiculous expectations on him.

It's a good question of which i've been thinking a lot myself. And yes, it is possible, and I think when this happens we shouldn't just criticise him but to try to understand. not like those freaks that bash George Lucas for prequels in "The People vs. George Lucas" doc

...eternalist hit it on the mark. No offense but why are we even anticipating a downfall. Nolan will make a mistake with a movie,everyone does - actor,producer,or director. Trust me the public will turn on him as soon as he makes a mistake, its how this society operates. Pretty sad

Eternalist wrote:His downfall will be by people who continue to place ridiculous expectations on him.
This!

Gothamite77 wrote:...eternalist hit it on the mark. No offense but why are we even anticipating a downfall. Nolan will make a mistake with a movie,everyone does - actor,producer,or director. Trust me the public will turn on him as soon as he makes a mistake, its how this society operates. Pretty sad
The point of the thread wasn't discussing how probable it is because neither anyone can know that, nor does it matter, because it may happen however unlikely it is. The point was what kind of mistakes do you think he's possible to do. Of course it's possible for him to just do a movie that's genius and unique but not well accepted by the public, many have done that. One of my favorite movies is Revolver, which is supposedly considered as Guy Ritchie's failure... But what I wanted to provoke is thoughts on things like... whether his 'mistake' will be intentional or not, artistic or in personal life, statements a-la-Tom-Cruise or a-la-Mel-Gibson (as unlikely as it sounds, you said it, I said it - > everybody does such).

Thinking about what possible mistakes he could make for me is an essential part of knowing him as both a director and a person, apart from all of his successes so far. I know he does seem perfect, but what if he becomes too eccentric. I foresaw (before making the topic) that the typical comment will be 'who the hell knows', but this is Nolan and discussing this might be more worth it than people think.

I think he's safely passed all of the typical hazards that most other directors fall victim to - he transitioned from tiny indies to big studio blockbusters without a hitch. He's always had a hand in the script. He's earned the status of being a darling of a major studio. Did I mention he's always under schedule and under budget? :lol:

As for being eccentric and being found with a dead hooker (WTF? :lol: ), he's got a tightly-knit group of people around him. Heck, his wife (and mother of his four kids) is his producer. I'm sure if there was any funny business, Emma will be able to rein him in. :thumbup:

If anything, his "downfall" might be making a good film that just doesn't resonate with audiences.

And I can still think of a good number of directors who IIRC haven't made a "bad" film yet - the Coens, Scorsese, Paul T. Anderson. They've made some weird stuff, but not like George Lucas or M. Night Shyamalan downfall. I can definitely see Nolan keeping up that kind of record, but it's just more noticeable with him because he's making really big films now.

I think there's already some good Nolan flicks that don't resonate with audiences... I've heard complaints about Prestige, The Dark Knight, and Batman Begins.

Personally, I find that Nolan's fall from grace happens when the studio force their way into Nolan's films. The overzealousness of pushing through 3D when Nolan isn't particularly comfortable yet with the quality of the process is one very real scenario I can see. If Nolan doesn't get his freedom, I think it will show in the final product.