A NOLAN TRADEMARK OR MERE COINCIDENCE???

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Have anyone noticed that in EVERY Nolan film has a female death involved in some kind of way, no matter how big or how small? And each death has a huge significance to the story at hand? Is that just a coincidence or is that his trademark in his films?

gluvnast wrote:Have anyone noticed that in EVERY Nolan film has a female death involved in some kind of way, no matter how big or how small? And each death has a huge significance to the story at hand? Is that just a coincidence or is that his trademark in his films?
I've thought about it and yes i think it does. I noticed that each time i saw a Nolan movie and i just thought 'damn, he maybe just doesn't think of the women as the better sex'. Most of his female roles are kind of mixed and untrustworthy (Natalie, the chick from Following, Sarah from Prestige). Rachel is in no case likeable neither in Begins nor in TDK. Nolan rarely gives much time or attention to female characters at all I think. Or if he does, they're antiheroes.

WOW :o :shock:
Good thinking

Following
the blond
Memento
Lenard's wife
Insomnia
Kay
BB
Bruce's mother (and father)
The prestige
Bordens wife
TDK
Rachel
Damm now im worried for Ellen Page and Marion CAllard. :cry:

Yeah. But then he made up for it by all the men he killed in TDK.

Maybe he has the Woody Allen syndrome. Tho it doesn't look like he does.

prince0gotham wrote:
gluvnast wrote:Have anyone noticed that in EVERY Nolan film has a female death involved in some kind of way, no matter how big or how small? And each death has a huge significance to the story at hand? Is that just a coincidence or is that his trademark in his films?
I've thought about it and yes i think it does. I noticed that each time i saw a Nolan movie and i just thought 'damn, he maybe just doesn't think of the women as the better sex'. Most of his female roles are kind of mixed and untrustworthy (Natalie, the chick from Following, Sarah from Prestige). Rachel is in no case likeable neither in Begins nor in TDK. Nolan rarely gives much time or attention to female characters at all I think. Or if he does, they're antiheroes.
I highly doubt Nolan hates women. And I think Rachel's final moments in TDK show what a brave and strong woman she was - her last thoughts weren't for herself, they were for Harvey. In fact, I disagree entirely that women are always untrustworthy in his films - if anything, they tend to be either incorruptible or femme fatales like Natalie, which fits Nolan's liking for film noir tropes.

You can also turn it around, and count how many male characters die in Nolan films? :) a lot.

More men die (in more brutal ways) than women in his movies.

Eternalist wrote:More men die (in more brutal ways) than women in his movies.
the point i was making is that all the female's death serves as a HUGE purpose for the film itself. most of the men's deaths were collatoral damage.
the following: the murder of the blond was the exclaimation point to the twist
Memento is self explainitory
insomnia: the murder of the teenaged girl is the foundation of the entire plot
the prestige: the death of angier's wife motivates the entire film
Batman Begins is self explainitory
TDK: rachel's death was the turning point of the entire film
Inception: the significance to MAL is pivital to the entire movie. a HUGE speculation that she's dead or she'll be the one that murders ariadne
the point IS that ALL of nolan's films have the deaths of female characters serves a huge significance that changes the entire dyamic of the entire film! sure there's male deaths, but the death of teddy was reactionary to the intentional misdirection motivation of lenny's wife's death for example, or the deaths in TDK were collateral, especially in the 2nd half of the film....they don't serve the same emotional punch to the movie itself

Because having a death is more tragic and causes more character ambition, since all of his films have male leads the victim is a woman.

If he was to make a movie with a female lead, odds are the victim will be a male.