10 Harsh Truths You Don’t Want To Admit About Nolan’s Films

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Saw this article earlier today, it lists ten "problems" with Nolan's films and goes on to elaborate on each one. Here is the introduction to it:
Christopher Nolan is without question one of the most celebrated and talked about filmmakers working in Hollywood today. In just the space of a decade, he went from being an independent filmmaker working on smaller, more intimate dramas, to becoming one of the industry’s most reliable and acclaimed directors of big-budget entertainment, making his most prominent mark with his beloved Dark Knight trilogy.

Though it’s difficult to argue with Nolan’s technical skill or ability to viscerally entertain us, there are also a number of truths about his movies that maybe we just don’t want to admit.
And here is the list of "harsh truths":

10. Poor Female Characters
9. Neutered By PG-13 Rating
8. Action Doesn’t Make Spatial Sense & Is Generically Choreographed
7. A Lack Of Heart
6. Pseudo-Intellectualism
5. Characters Don’t Behave Realistically
4. Style Over Substance
3. Hand-Holding Dialogue
2. They’re Too Serious & Self-Regarding
1. There’s Too Much Michael Caine

Source: http://whatculture.com/film/10-harsh-tr ... movies.php

--------------------

While I disagree with most of it, I don't think the article is entirely without merit. In particular I have to agree with #3, this is definitely something Nolan needs to improve upon. Point #10 is hardly controversial imo and I don't see the problem with #9. As far as #8 goes, his fight scenes have long been a point of criticism on his films. Disagree with #7 to #4.

With regard to #2, what is he expecting? Pointless over the top humor a la Michael Bay? Nolan includes humor where it makes sense on the film and also when it suits the character. Find me a comic book film with a more hilarious and iconic scene than the Joker getting out of the hospital dressed as a nurse.

Lastly, there is no such thing as too much Michael Caine.

Discuss :twisted:

I would hardly call most of those "harsh truths". Seems like it's looking for clicks. You can make up harsh truths about any director by simply pointing things out about their filmography. A few of them I would say are actually what make his films interesting or are a trade off for something better.

1. There’s Too Much Michael Caine
:facepalm:

Whatculture is Buzzfeed at this point.

Worst film-related site on the internet.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I think we can all agree the spatial sense in his action scenes is absolutely atrocious.

And yeah, the way the regard themselves. Ridiculous.

Yeah.... Whatculture is reeeallly bad. I mean, if these were actual harsh truths about Nolan films and was written well, I'd respect it, but throw out Nolan's name just about anywhere on the web and you're bound to get views/discussion. Nothing special here.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:I think we can all agree the spatial sense in his action scenes is absolutely atrocious.
no we don't- Unless you're braindead

thrice wrote:
mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:I think we can all agree the spatial sense in his action scenes is absolutely atrocious.
you kidding? i can't even watch some of his stuff anymore because of how spatially senseless it is

And don't get me started on the amount of michael caine. I mean a few times would have been tolerable but it seems like every movie he makes at least a cameo. Deal breaker for me quite frankly

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:
thrice wrote:
you kidding? i can't even watch some of his stuff anymore because of how spatially senseless it is

And don't get me started on the amount of michael caine. I mean a few times would have been tolerable but it seems like every movie he makes at least a cameo. Deal breaker for me quite frankly