Rank all of Nolan's films

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
The fact that almost all of us can agree that at worst he's made a B+ film shows that we're all indeed blind fanboys or the dude is just flat out good at this movie making nonsense.

ChristNolan wrote:The fact that almost all of us can agree that at worst he's made a B+ film shows that we're all indeed blind fanboys or the dude is just flat out good at this movie making nonsense.
He's just that flat out good. But I'd give Following a B- as his lowest.

Sky007 wrote:
ChristNolan wrote:The fact that almost all of us can agree that at worst he's made a B+ film shows that we're all indeed blind fanboys or the dude is just flat out good at this movie making nonsense.
He's just that flat out good. But I'd give Following a B- as his lowest.
You son of a bitch

I'd give Following at least a B
Last edited by Havoc1st on April 17th, 2015, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havoc1st wrote:I'd give The Following at least a B
What's The Following?

Right now I think I'd rank them all:
1. The Prestige
2. The Dark Knight
3. Interstellar*
4. Inception
5. Batman Begins
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Insomnia
8. Memento
9. Following**

Inception and Interstellar are extremely close in my book. I can't make a final decision on them.
I prefer Following to Memento, but after rewatching them before Interstellar, I feel that Memento deserves to be over it in this list.

Putting Memento that low…. :shock:

ChristNolan wrote:
Havoc1st wrote:I'd give Following at least a B
What's The Following?
Ya know what i mean. Anyway, my bad. Fixed now.

1) The Dark Knight
2) Memento
3) Inception
4) Interstellar
5) The Dark Knight Rises
6) The Prestige
7) Following
8) Insomnia
9) Batman Begins

I've been wanting to post in here for some time...but every time I try I get nowhere.

All I KNOW is that The Prestige is my favorite. After that you can make a VERY strong case for each of the following at #2:

The Dark Knight
Memento
Interstellar
Inception

I look at all of those and try to pick one to rank next and I'll think I've settled. But then I start to realize that two of those movies won't even make it into the Top 3 and then I lose my mind.

The Dark Knight: Massively influential. Though in a lot of ways it was just continueing/improving upon (this is subjective) what was began with Batman Begins, it seems to be the one that 'changed things. Forever.' And it's long...but wow it never lets up. The pacing in this movie is perfect.

Memento: It started it all. It would still be loved if he put that out after everything else he had done. It's great because it was his first professional film, but it's also just plain great. Nothing like it (except that episode of Seinfeld).

Interstellar: Definitely his most emotional film (though his other movies have certainly moments that can rival anything in here) and gorgeous looking. I love how patient it is and that it really gave us some ideas and themes that extend beyond the world of the film. A lot to think about here.

Inception: This is pure Nolan. It's all him and it proved what he could do with a wholly-original script. Ridiculously entertaining and featuring some of the coolest set-pieces I've ever seen. Almost exhausting with it's brilliant 45 minute climax.

Anyway...even after that it is hard. Insomnia is great, but it just feels a little underwhelming. Following is solid...but let's be real here, it's the pinnacle of zero-budget filmmaking, but it's hard to look at it next to the professional quality of his other works. Film students could spend an entire semester-long course studying this movie and still learn things from it. And Batman Begins is so good, but I think The Dark Knight is simply the better film. But you gotta love Batman Begins for being so ballsy and different. I also appreciate it as more of a film-noir than the other Batman movies. As for Rises...it can be easy to gloss over it. Certainly his most flawed film, but the good stuff in it is so good that we forgive the flaws.

I don't know. I'll be back in a few months and maybe have something worked out.