Rank all of Nolan's films

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
1. Inception
2. Dunkirk
3. The Prestige
4. The Dark Knight
5. Memento
6. Interstellar
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Batman Begins
9. Tenet
10. Following
11. Insomnia

Dobson wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 7:46 am
1. Inception
2. Dunkirk
3. The Prestige
4. The Dark Knight
5. Memento
6. Interstellar
7. The Dark Knight Rises
8. Batman Begins
9. Tenet
10. Following
11. Insomnia
I saw you gave Tenet an 8/10 and it's 9th on your list. That's pretty impressive if a very good movie is near the bottom of the list.

My 1-7 are the same except in a different order and take out TDKR for BB. All those movies are no worse than A-/B+ territory.

After re-watching (pre-Tenet):

1. The Prestige
2. The Dark Knight
3. Dunkirk
4. Inception
5. Memento
6. Interstellar
7. Batman Begins
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Insomnia
10. Following

1. Inception

I move I can't stop loving. Deeply personal film for me, sometimes movies and specific events get locked together. Inception to me is about othology, the limits of relationships and suicide. The summer this came out in 2010, my father shot himself in the head. With a rifle. He survived. I spent that summer, the summer this movie came out taking care of him, and living with him. This expierence didn't repair our relationship, and since that, when I see him, I feel like i'm in the pressence of ghost. Inception is a fun movie, but one that makes me sad. The meaning I bring to it is outside of the movie, but I feel like it's have a conversation with me. Suicide is in all of Nolan's films, in every variety.

2. Dunkirk

Masterfully directed. Beautiful. Has Nolan's most beautiful images, the shot of the boys asleep on the beach, tinted green, with foam around them is my faviorite Nolan shot. The scene where Tom Hardy follows the german plane about the clouds is the best scene in Nolan's career, it's wordless, and ethereal.

3. The Prestige

I think this has Christian Bale and Hugh Jackmans best performances, they don't do immitations of real people, or wear prosthetics. It's is there most subtle acting. The genre bending and metahoprical balls this movie has is unreal. It's so dense. I remember Roger Ebert referred to it as: "satanic". I've never been able to get that out of my head. It's lovecraftian in it's ideas...losing your humanity to technology? or making the devil's bargain for pure artistic expression, but sacrificing yourself?

4. Dark Knight

Iconic! Instantly so. So entertaining.

5. Memento

Great! Amazing! Iconic!

6. Interstellar

Rewatched before Tenet. Gets better with every viewing. I love the texture in this film and I think Tessaract is one of Nolan's most potent images. I think it was some of Nolan's most confident filmmaking. I love it.

7. Tenet (this might go up on repeat viewings)

I've seen it twice. The final battle is amazing, I think with repeat viewings, looking for the markers, it reveals it's bravura brilliance. It's dunkirk in minature, all about small moments, from different Points-of-View. This movie is as much about suicide as inception is. Tenet is a suicide cult, one in which they are saving the world, at the expense of their individual lives.

8. Batman Begins

When this movie came out, i was 15, and living in a women's shelter. I was so excited for this movie! and it delivered, I was so happy. I was comic book obssessed. And it was the comic-book movie I was waiting for. Nolan's has gotten me through various points in my life, helping me navigate time.

9. Dark Knight Rises

A movie people like to shit on. There is clunky stuff in it. But, Bane is a truly great character. The prison pit is so aspirational. I think alot of people find Bruce Wayne in this movie to be a betrayal of the comic book Batman ideal. But, I think it's quite radical for Nolan to portray him as true manic depressive. Batman is suicidal in this movie, and he overcomes that. I find this movie to be Nolan's most hopeful.

10. Insomnia

Least interesting Nolan. Performances are great! Super re-watcheable.

11. Following

Really like it. Born filmmaker, love how grimey it is.

And with all of that. That'll be my last post on the forum. I overshared but needed to get something out of system. It disappoints me that Nolan has been turned on. Covid will be forever attached to his legacy. I think Tenet is a very interesting movie that shouldn't be dismissed.

Nolan has gotten me through alot, I can't wait for the next one.

Inception
TDK
Interstellar
The Prestige
Dunkirk
Tenet
Memento
TDKR
Begins
Insomnia
Following

I hate making this list because I consider Dunkirk to be his best work in a lot of aspects and in 70mm its as good as cinema gets.

1.Inception
2.The Dark Knight
3.Prestige
4.Interstellar
5.Tenet
6.Memento
7.Batman begins
8.Insomnia
9.The Dark Knights Rises
10.Dunkirk
11.Following

1. Inception
2. Interstellar
3. The Dark Knight
4. Memento
5. Dunkirk
6. The Prestige
7. Tenet
8. Batman Begins
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Insomnia
11. Following

My update:
1. The Dark Knight 10/10 - It's a phenomenal crime movie with conflicting human philosophies at stake, great blocking, staging in small scenes as well as the action sequences, phenomenal ending and of course easily the best performance in Nolan's movies by Heath Ledger.

2. Interstellar 10/10 - Might be his masterpiece and would be number one if it wasn't for my lifelong fascination with Batman. The expositional dialogue to explain these complex ideas was necessary, as evident by people still not getting some of the core ideas behind the film. It's masterful filmmaking, starting with cinematography and going into Nolan and Zimmer's best score. The performances are also strong all around and the message corny to some, to me feels like a perfect juxtaposition of emotion and science that need be balanced for us to progress.

3. Memento 9/10 - A true puzzle of a movie with a fantastic and original idea on how to tell a story. It's amazing how it all fits at the end by reverting us back in time and still being able to shock us with not one but two big revelations. It's not as impressive technically as his big budget films and that's the only reason it's not higher on the list.

4. The Dark Knight Rises 9/10 - There aren't any serious plot holes in the film contrary to popular belief, and it has some of the best cinematography in Nolan films and next to Interstellar it's the most effective emotionally film in his career with Bale being the best he has been in the role and Hardy's Bane being a more than solid substitute for Joker. Great Hollywood epic and romance disguised as a superhero movie.

5. The Prestige 9/10 - Tremendous parallel between filmmaking and illusion, offers us a glimpse at what both do to fool its audiences. It is also a great study of obsession going too far for both men and what toll it takes. Solid filmmaking and acting with Bowie being a perfectly mysterious Tesla and the film having some truly underrated shots.

6. Batman Begins 9/10 - The best superhero origin story (Iron Man coming up a close second and these are the only two movies in serious contention for that title). Nolan infuses this action spectacle with his best use of horror storytelling thus far, making Batman a force of fear. Probably the most comic accurate Gotham till date.

7. Inception 8/10 - I'll agree with too much exposition, unfortunately basically every dialogue in the film is exposition and it is tough on repeat viewings. However, great meta commentary on filmmaking and contains Nolan's boldest visual ideas by far. Another great collaboration with Zimmer and DiCaprio elevates the material he's given with his acting. To that you gotta mention the ensemble as this is a team effort and the chemistry between the cast is spectacular and second best only to The Dark Knight.

8. Tenet 8/10 - Nolan going all in on his tendencies and the momentum of his previous films. Once again, he attempts to mostly skip past character development and focus on spectacle but this time giving us enough time with the characters to capture details to make us care for the core of them. And the spectacle is both fascinating and amazingly choreographed and together with the score it is the star of the film. The film and its complicate timeline will keep you guessing long after you watch and it is another puzzle that requires multiple viewings to get it and much like Interstellar it's great that it is rooted in real scientific theories that might not click as much as with Interstellar but still make enough sense to be truly fascinating.

9. Insomnia 7/10 - It's a good thriller but not much else. Never stands out from its competition from a decade before where it would fit more naturally... Al Pacino is not very engaging, probably on purpose, but Robin WIlliams really steals the show and makes the film much better.

10. Dunkirk 6/10 - Technically it's really good and probably Nolan's most unorthodox movie but the action instead of character driven plot becomes boring really fast and even though it's Nolan's shortest studio film, it feels like the longest. Emotionally it's completely void and not suspenseful because of a lack of attachment to anyone. Interesting idea to make a no holds bar movie but a failed attempt that would only work with his next film.

11. Following 6/10 - At face value it's pretty much student film rubbish but the story really holds up and is an interesting enough early glimpse into what would make one of the greatest filmmakers of his generation. Thank god it is short as even if you don't love it, it's still an easy sit through.

1. Dunkirk

2. Inception

3. The Prestige

4. Tenet

5. Memento

6. The Dark Knight Rises

7. The Dark Knight

8. Interstellar

9. Batman Begins

10. Insomnia

Bacon wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 11:47 pm
After re-watching (post-Tenet):

1. The Prestige
2. The Dark Knight
3. Dunkirk
4. Inception
5. Memento
6. Interstellar
7. Batman Begins
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Tenet
10. Insomnia
11. Following
All films are good. TENET and TDKR are about on the same level, but TDKR has the emotional punch TENET lacks.