Christopher Nolan Updates Thread

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
natalie wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 4:24 pm
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/12/get-o ... 234683712/

10. Memento (2020)
26. The Dark Knight (2008)
37. Inception (2010)
82. The Prestige (2006)
Considering how great the science was in it and how the film was a metaphor on the marriage of technical and artistic skill in moviemaking, I think Interstellar deserves to be there as much as Prestige and Inception.

natalie wrote:
December 6th, 2021, 4:24 pm
https://www.indiewire.com/2021/12/get-o ... 234683712/

10. Memento (2020)
26. The Dark Knight (2008)
37. Inception (2010)
82. The Prestige (2006)
Nice. Although, in my opinion, what is Black Panther doing there? I will never know. Thankfully Into the spider verse is there too to ease the waters. Where is Dunkirk? :P

Ace
Christopher Nolan Praises John Fithian on Long NATO Leadership
Christopher Nolan is among those expected to pay tribute to the longtime NATO chief at CinemaCon.

“John has the vital combination of hard-nosed strategic thinking and empathetic listening ability necessary to intelligently and productively advocate for the theatrical experience in a changing world,” Christopher Nolan tells The Hollywood Reporter. “During the COVID-19 crisis, John’s dedication to minimizing damage to the exhibition community was extraordinary. He fought for theater owners and workers to be included in government assistance programs and he rallied exhibition to create effective and reassuring health protocols for theaters for when people were able to come back to the movies.”

Nolan remembers calling Fithian to advocate for celluloid projection. “I was shocked by his unwillingness to revisit the painful issue of digitization that the previous generation of filmmakers had demanded, but grew to understand his wish to protect theater owners from the caprices of studios and directors,” says the filmmaker. “In the end I was able to make the case that film projection could still be a great asset for exhibitors in a predominantly digital landscape, and he became a great ally, but I’ve never forgotten his passion for protecting theater owners, particularly the smaller chains and independents.”

Ace wrote:
April 17th, 2023, 3:44 pm
Christopher Nolan Praises John Fithian on Long NATO Leadership
Christopher Nolan is among those expected to pay tribute to the longtime NATO chief at CinemaCon.

“John has the vital combination of hard-nosed strategic thinking and empathetic listening ability necessary to intelligently and productively advocate for the theatrical experience in a changing world,” Christopher Nolan tells The Hollywood Reporter. “During the COVID-19 crisis, John’s dedication to minimizing damage to the exhibition community was extraordinary. He fought for theater owners and workers to be included in government assistance programs and he rallied exhibition to create effective and reassuring health protocols for theaters for when people were able to come back to the movies.”

Nolan remembers calling Fithian to advocate for celluloid projection. “I was shocked by his unwillingness to revisit the painful issue of digitization that the previous generation of filmmakers had demanded, but grew to understand his wish to protect theater owners from the caprices of studios and directors,” says the filmmaker. “In the end I was able to make the case that film projection could still be a great asset for exhibitors in a predominantly digital landscape, and he became a great ally, but I’ve never forgotten his passion for protecting theater owners, particularly the smaller chains and independents.”
Thanks for the reminder of CinemaCon - their schedule is up.
April 26 from 4-6:15 pm, Universal presents footage (probably Oppie stuff in there)
April 27 from 7:30-9 pm, Fithian receives a special industry acknowledgement (possibly Chris involvement), and Chris and Emma are receiving the Spirit of the Industry Award

... and for anyone interested in Marty Scorsese, he's doing a special talk on the 27th at noon.
Twitter should have plenty of people posting live updates, hopefully.

Well...
https://variety.com/2023/film/features/ ... 235642666/
And, yes, they want to mend fences with Nolan. The “Batman” mastermind is perhaps the studio’s most successful director, one who lit a match and walked off the lot after Kilar’s day-and-date debacle, grousing with scorched-earth flair that he went to bed working for the greatest studio in the world and woke up working for the worst streaming service.

"We’re hoping to get Nolan back,” De Luca says. “I think there’s a world.” Both executives concede that Universal Filmed Entertainment Group chairman Donna Langley is a force to be reckoned with, as she secured “Oppenheimer” after his public breakup with Warners. De Luca and Abdy remain hopeful. Two sources familiar with Nolan say that the director received a seven-figure royalty check from Warner Bros. within the past eight months. The payment was tied to his 2020 film “Tenet,” which the studio released. A source says De Luca, Abdy and Zaslav all agreed he was owed the bonus in good faith. No strings were attached, according to insiders, but the studio was partly motivated to repair that fractured relationship. In a sign that the healing has begun, Nolan has done post-production work on “Oppenheimer” on the Warners lot. (A rep for Nolan did not respond to a request for comment on the matter.)

natalie wrote:
June 17th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Well...
And, yes, they want to mend fences with Nolan. The “Batman” mastermind is perhaps the studio’s most successful director, one who lit a match and walked off the lot after Kilar’s day-and-date debacle, grousing with scorched-earth flair that he went to bed working for the greatest studio in the world and woke up working for the worst streaming service.

"We’re hoping to get Nolan back,” De Luca says. “I think there’s a world.” Both executives concede that Universal Filmed Entertainment Group chairman Donna Langley is a force to be reckoned with, as she secured “Oppenheimer” after his public breakup with Warners. De Luca and Abdy remain hopeful. Two sources familiar with Nolan say that the director received a seven-figure royalty check from Warner Bros. within the past eight months. The payment was tied to his 2020 film “Tenet,” which the studio released. A source says De Luca, Abdy and Zaslav all agreed he was owed the bonus in good faith. No strings were attached, according to insiders, but the studio was partly motivated to repair that fractured relationship. In a sign that the healing has begun, Nolan has done post-production work on “Oppenheimer” on the Warners lot. (A rep for Nolan did not respond to a request for comment on the matter.)
I hope Nolan stays with Universal because they were willing to support his 3 hour film and all the rest. The way I see it, WB had its chance so it’s time to try somewhere else. If he goes back to WB then up to him I guess in any case but Universal deserves more of a chance on his new projects I think.

natalie wrote:
Well...

The GOAT keeps winning. Like a simping ex, Warner's is coming crawling back. So funny that is official, honestly thought it was a joke when it made the rounds on twitter initially. I really do wonder what this means, like, it was also reported, and confirmed that the placement of Barbie was in fact a way to undercut Nolan. Do they regret this decision? People don't just admit they where wrong, and yet Warners is telling the press that the fucked up. Fascinating! Glad the forum is up and running!

A Borges man wrote:
June 17th, 2023, 11:18 pm
natalie wrote:
Well...

The GOAT keeps winning. Like a simping ex, Warner's is coming crawling back. So funny that is official, honestly thought it was a joke when it made the rounds on twitter initially. I really do wonder what this means, like, it was also reported, and confirmed that the placement of Barbie was in fact a way to undercut Nolan. Do they regret this decision? People don't just admit they where wrong, and yet Warners is telling the press that the fucked up. Fascinating! Glad the forum is up and running!
I agree that Chris shouldn’t return, at least until Zas is gone. Max’s relaunch is one of the worst things I’ve seen from a major entities - that app is horribly and is diluting its brands by piling everything together (not to mention it just looks shitty). I watched the WB 100 documentary and while they gave Chris a really nice chunk of time in episode 4, it was followed up with a very embarrassing montage of everything that’s happened in the past 10 years. WB is a joke. Chris knew it when he walked. I doubt he’ll be easily courted.