Nolan criticisms that piss you off

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
Master Virgo wrote:Nolan can't make action scenes is obviously far from the truth, but saying he can't make fighting scenes is something I can understand.
Bats vs Bane fight was great. He improved a lot in that department.
I think a lot of people give other directors credits for action/ fight scenes in movies and we all know that it's the second unit who's in charge of that. Nolan doesn't use one.

Mahiya_Borden wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:Nolan can't make action scenes is obviously far from the truth, but saying he can't make fighting scenes is something I can understand.
I think a lot of people give other directors credits for action/ fight scenes in movies and we all know that it's the second unit who's in charge of that. Nolan doesn't use one.
Agreed.

The criticisms that pisses me off are people calling Nolan a hack and he does cheesy stuff etc. You get what I mean.

Havoc1st wrote:
Mahiya_Borden wrote:
Agreed.

The criticisms that pisses me off are people calling Nolan a hack and he does cheesy stuff etc. You get what I mean.
That is not a criticism. Those are attention seeking morons talking stupid shit.
gib sigs

IN 2013 I still hate how rdj trashed tdk and the dc comics brand back in 2008 i know he was jealous of the success of Nolan's movie but how Robert handled the situation was uncalled for . and his expression on his face when he lost the bafta and golden globe to heath was priceless .

Does anyone else get disgusted when someone praises Nolan but then says he went downhill by doing those Batman movies? I hate the pretentious attitude that something based on a comic book can't be art and that some people are above superhero films. Bruce Wayne, just like Jay Gatsby or Tom Sawyer is a fictional character. His story can be as deep and developed as any character in literary fiction. It's sad that so called artists limit themselves with such bias.

anonymity wrote:Does anyone else get disgusted when someone praises Nolan but then says he went downhill by doing those Batman movies? I hate the pretentious attitude that something based on a comic book can't be art and that some people are above superhero films. Bruce Wayne, just like Jay Gatsby or Tom Sawyer is a fictional character. His story can be as deep and developed as any character in literary fiction. It's sad that so called artists limit themselves with such bias.
I hate that as well. There's still an attitude that comic books are nothing but pows and zaps, even with serious works like The Dark Knight and Watchmen coming into the limelight. However, it seems to be more of a deposition to a medium than adaptions, from what I've seen. Hating a genre I can kinda understand, but an entire medium? That's very close-minded, dare I say ignorant.
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

9. what
8. Batman Begins is the only one with that as a serious problem
7. How was that supposed to be humour?
6. Considering how often those themes get way too misinterpreted, he probably isn't spelling it out enough.
5. Eh, I can agree there when it comes to Rises
4. Trust me, writing subtle exposition is like putting a blindfold over the audience
3. Less is more
2. Yes, writer of this article. You're a douchebag
1. Bit of a nitpick, really
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

Lol, this comes off as parodying Nolan's critics more than anything. The thing is, Nolan deliberately shot Batman Begins in a 'sitting in the trenches' point of view. I'm not sure it was a great decision since many fans have cried out about the action scenes in the movie, but most of them were successful in eliciting the chaos of Bruce's fighting. Also, the main set piece with the Tumbler's universally thought to be fantastic, so. The Dark Knight, Inception, and The Dark Knight Rises all feature quite a number of iconic action scenes, with the majority of them being hailed as fantastic jaw-dropping spectacle by critics and fans.

Furthermore, plenty of people find his films moving, and a lot don't. It's not as if the majority opinion is that his films are cold. Terrance Malick's films aren't moving to everyone, does that make him a bad filmmaker? It's a stupidly subjective comment to make, especially when fans wiped away tears to The Dark Knight Rises across the country. Inception was hailed as quite moving as well-- if it wasn't to you, that's fine, but don't project that reaction to the norm. The exposition, while both overbearing and distracting to seasoned cinema veterans, clearly didn't outline things quite enough for the majority of viewers, as Inception's still that 'crazy mind blowing movie' nobody understands. It's the price you pay of 'high brow' escapism, I guess. Additionally, the thematic ideas in the films have been hotly contested since release, and while they're anything but subtle, in many cases they contain a nuance even films less concerned with flipping semi-trucks can't deliver as rich commentary. If they were so utterly obvious, what's the origin of the discussion amongst film critics and fans? Boredom? The one comment that bugs me in particular (the PG-13 issue is present, but hardly something to attribute to Nolan) is number 2. The writer misconstrued the purpose of the boat sequence in The Dark Knight-- it wasn't some Spielbergian optimism shining through the darkness, the conflict of the film centered on The Joker and Bats fighting for the 'soul' of Gotham City, and the pictured moment illustrates Batman's finally inspired people to believe in 'goooood'. For all the accusations towards Nolan for obvious themes, the credibility of the writer's attack is pretty well undermined in light of missing a basic thematic development in the story.

Nolan's not a perfect filmmaker by any means, and although I'm not sure it affects his action sequences as profoundly as some, his lack of coverage and sometimes clumsy editing can hamper the rhythm of his otherwise finely paced movies. Still, these criticisms are largely exhausted. We know the Talia romance in Rises didn't work, we get it. Catwoman and Bats did, though, so stop complaining. It's a bit 'done' by a year later.

I'm posting this and nobody can read it, lolololol.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Lol, this comes off as parodying Nolan's critics more than anything. The thing is, Nolan deliberately shot Batman Begins in a 'sitting in the trenches' point of view. I'm not sure it was a great decision since many fans have cried out about the action scenes in the movie, but most of them were successful in eliciting the chaos of Bruce's fighting. Also, the main set piece with the Tumbler's universally thought to be fantastic, so. The Dark Knight, Inception, and The Dark Knight Rises all feature quite a number of iconic action scenes, with the majority of them being hailed as fantastic jaw-dropping spectacle by critics and fans.

Furthermore, plenty of people find his films moving, and a lot don't. It's not as if the majority opinion is that his films are cold. Terrance Malick's films aren't moving to everyone, does that make him a bad filmmaker? It's a stupidly subjective comment to make, especially when fans wiped away tears to The Dark Knight Rises across the country. Inception was hailed as quite moving as well-- if it wasn't to you, that's fine, but don't project that reaction to the norm. The exposition, while both overbearing and distracting to seasoned cinema veterans, clearly didn't outline things quite enough for the majority of viewers, as Inception's still that 'crazy mind blowing movie' nobody understands. It's the price you pay of 'high brow' escapism, I guess. Additionally, the thematic ideas in the films have been hotly contested since release, and while they're anything but subtle, in many cases they contain a nuance even films less concerned with flipping semi-trucks can't deliver as rich commentary. If they were so utterly obvious, what's the origin of the discussion amongst film critics and fans? Boredom? The one comment that bugs me in particular (the PG-13 issue is present, but hardly something to attribute to Nolan) is number 2. The writer misconstrued the purpose of the boat sequence in The Dark Knight-- it wasn't some Spielbergian optimism shining through the darkness, the conflict of the film centered on The Joker and Bats fighting for the 'soul' of Gotham City, and the pictured moment illustrates Batman's finally inspired people to believe in 'goooood'. For all the accusations towards Nolan for obvious themes, the credibility of the writer's attack is pretty well undermined in light of missing a basic thematic development in the story.

Nolan's not a perfect filmmaker by any means, and although I'm not sure it affects his action sequences as profoundly as some, his lack of coverage and sometimes clumsy editing can hamper the rhythm of his otherwise finely paced movies. Still, these criticisms are largely exhausted. We know the Talia romance in Rises didn't work, we get it. Catwoman and Bats did, though, so stop complaining. It's a bit 'done' by a year later.

I'm posting this and nobody can read it, lolololol.

-Vader
Most aggressive analysis of Nolan's supposed sophistry are just textbook examples of logical fallacies. Endless straw man criticisms and or just having the themes go right over their heads. Take this guy for example.

http://www.academia.edu/1940710/_What_D ... _Franchise

He seems to try to say everything and anything to undermine Nolan's Batman films intellectual weight. He even goes so far as to say that Michael Bay's Transformers films may have more artistic merit than Nolan's blockbuster success. Batman Returns is apparently more worthy of scholarly analysis than Nolan's Batman and he seems to be ignoring the real philosophy of the trilogy in favor of pointing out a possible sexual relationship between Bruce and Alfred implied at the end of TDKR. I'd love to criticize these critics and Nolan, especially right now since I'm supposed to be doing something else but almost no one cares enough to have an actual discussion. Its either provoke the fanboys or wrestle with the trolls for one or two responses and then everybody walks away thinking they're absolutely right. I agree with most of the criticism on page 2 of that previous article but the title itself is just mind numbingly short sided, dishonest etc. I guess this little post counts as my 20 minute break.
"When art imitates life"