Nolan criticisms that piss you off

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
God those articles are stupid. :facepalm:
Criticizing Nolan seems have become a sport nowadays.
Just a fan...

Vader182 wrote:Lol, this comes off as parodying Nolan's critics more than anything. The thing is, Nolan deliberately shot Batman Begins in a 'sitting in the trenches' point of view. I'm not sure it was a great decision since many fans have cried out about the action scenes in the movie, but most of them were successful in eliciting the chaos of Bruce's fighting. Also, the main set piece with the Tumbler's universally thought to be fantastic, so. The Dark Knight, Inception, and The Dark Knight Rises all feature quite a number of iconic action scenes, with the majority of them being hailed as fantastic jaw-dropping spectacle by critics and fans.

Furthermore, plenty of people find his films moving, and a lot don't. It's not as if the majority opinion is that his films are cold. Terrance Malick's films aren't moving to everyone, does that make him a bad filmmaker? It's a stupidly subjective comment to make, especially when fans wiped away tears to The Dark Knight Rises across the country. Inception was hailed as quite moving as well-- if it wasn't to you, that's fine, but don't project that reaction to the norm. The exposition, while both overbearing and distracting to seasoned cinema veterans, clearly didn't outline things quite enough for the majority of viewers, as Inception's still that 'crazy mind blowing movie' nobody understands. It's the price you pay of 'high brow' escapism, I guess. Additionally, the thematic ideas in the films have been hotly contested since release, and while they're anything but subtle, in many cases they contain a nuance even films less concerned with flipping semi-trucks can't deliver as rich commentary. If they were so utterly obvious, what's the origin of the discussion amongst film critics and fans? Boredom? The one comment that bugs me in particular (the PG-13 issue is present, but hardly something to attribute to Nolan) is number 2. The writer misconstrued the purpose of the boat sequence in The Dark Knight-- it wasn't some Spielbergian optimism shining through the darkness, the conflict of the film centered on The Joker and Bats fighting for the 'soul' of Gotham City, and the pictured moment illustrates Batman's finally inspired people to believe in 'goooood'. For all the accusations towards Nolan for obvious themes, the credibility of the writer's attack is pretty well undermined in light of missing a basic thematic development in the story.

Nolan's not a perfect filmmaker by any means, and although I'm not sure it affects his action sequences as profoundly as some, his lack of coverage and sometimes clumsy editing can hamper the rhythm of his otherwise finely paced movies. Still, these criticisms are largely exhausted. We know the Talia romance in Rises didn't work, we get it. Catwoman and Bats did, though, so stop complaining. It's a bit 'done' by a year later.

I'm posting this and nobody can read it, lolololol.

-Vader

Nolan-bashing has become a new hobby since 2008.
gib sigs

Rudinet wrote:God those articles are stupid. :facepalm:
Yeah it really didn't start happening until TDK and then really got going once Inception came out. After that it's been all the code words 'fanboy', 'overrated', 'pretentious'. I'm a huge fan obviously but I think those words don't describe most Nolan fans. I don't even think Spielberg or Cameron fans get the kind of hate Nolan fans do. Some of the comments I get for praising Nolans work on other message boards can get downright nasty sometimes. We just like his work so far and how he sticks to his guns for the most part. He's not a controversial director or a director that slams other directors or comes off as some pompous arrogant asshole. Not having those qualities is what I respect about him more than how good his films have been.

bootsy wrote:
Rudinet wrote:God those articles are stupid. :facepalm:
Yeah it really didn't start happening until TDK and then really got going once Inception came out. After that it's been all the code words 'fanboy', 'overrated', 'pretentious'. I'm a huge fan obviously but I think those words don't describe most Nolan fans. I don't even think Spielberg or Cameron fans get the kind of hate Nolan fans do. Some of the comments I get for praising Nolans work on other message boards can get downright nasty sometimes. We just like his work so far and how he sticks to his guns for the most part. He's not a controversial director or a director that slams other directors or comes off as some pompous arrogant asshole. Not having those qualities is what I respect about him more than how good his films have been.
I just assume they want to appear as cool and different from other people. Shrug and move on. It is their loss.
gib sigs

Pratham wrote:
bootsy wrote: Yeah it really didn't start happening until TDK and then really got going once Inception came out. After that it's been all the code words 'fanboy', 'overrated', 'pretentious'. I'm a huge fan obviously but I think those words don't describe most Nolan fans. I don't even think Spielberg or Cameron fans get the kind of hate Nolan fans do. Some of the comments I get for praising Nolans work on other message boards can get downright nasty sometimes. We just like his work so far and how he sticks to his guns for the most part. He's not a controversial director or a director that slams other directors or comes off as some pompous arrogant asshole. Not having those qualities is what I respect about him more than how good his films have been.
I just assume they want to appear as cool and different from other people. Shrug and move on. It is their loss.
I pretty much do. Although when it first started happening I was confused and a little upset but I've learned like most things not to take it personally and just move on. :-D

I feel like when Interstellar comes out its going to get bashed by critics like crazy because that just seems like the thing the do now. The over analyze his films to find every little problem because he's Christopher Nolan. Such bullshit.

When people are as popular as Christopher Nolan is right now, they're bound to attract haters. In any art form, music or film, there will always be people who feel the need to speak out against someone or something that everybody likes. It's sad.

I find that Nolan's films affect me very deeply on an emotional level. So I can't understand why he's so criticized for being cold.

xWhereAmI? wrote:I feel like when Interstellar comes out its going to get bashed by critics like crazy because that just seems like the thing the do now. The over analyze his films to find every little problem because he's Christopher Nolan. Such bullshit.
Critics? These are bunch of trolls. All the Nolan Films are rated above 75% on RT. Critics love his films.
gib sigs

I mean, WhatCulture's a pretty huge review website. There's plenty of critics that love Nolan though, and will likely continue to do so: Kenneth Turan, Roeper, Elvis Mitchel (not that he's a 'critic' anymore but he's a big personality in the film world), and Mark Kermode. Hype around Interstellar's high, especially because of Mccaughey and Chastain.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Hype around Interstellar's high, especially because of Mccaughey and Chastain.
-Vader