Nolan criticisms that piss you off

The Oscar Nominated writer and director to whom this site is dedicated.
The one thing, one thing, that pisses me off the most is when people either say "You only like his movies because they're confusing/make you feel smart, you hipster."

Besides the fact that a hipster wouldn't be a fan of a multi-billion grossing director, it feels like an excuse, the worst kind of crutch. When all idea of fair criticism or actual flaws go out the window and becomes an attack on someone's art and their fans. :judge:
Crazy Eight wrote:
Allstar wrote: Thoughts on Michael Fassbender?
no ur a assbender

darthnazgul wrote:The one thing, one thing, that pisses me off the most is when people either say "You only like his movies because they're confusing/make you feel smart, you hipster."
Tell them to use their brains instead of tweeting during movie.
gib sigs

Here's another one:

I hate how logical he is, he slaughters entertainment because it isn't logical, and nobody goes to watch a movie over logic. The Dark Knight is hella overrated, it was a bore-fest, although the dark Knight Rises was pretty good, I especially loved the ending.

darthnazgul wrote:The one thing, one thing, that pisses me off the most is when people either say "You only like his movies because they're confusing/make you feel smart, you hipster."
How is liking one of the most succesful working directors "hipster"?
Who ever these people are, they clearly have no idea what the term means.

People who complain about Inception having too much exposition. I mean it doesn't piss me off. It's just weird. And I really respect people who would have that problem, I just simply don't find it to be any sort of an error at all.

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with explaining a complicated world you have created in a film. Unless you explain things over and over. What people have misunderstood with that, I believe, is explaining characters mostly by words instead of showing it with the events or through the story or using too much narration explaining stuff and all that. Now I would admit that those ones really are the examples for wrong direction a filmmaker can take and will certainly harm the experience for me.

Master Virgo wrote:People who complain about Inception having too much exposition. I mean it doesn't piss me off. It's just weird. And I really respect people who would have that problem, I just simply don't find it to be any sort of an error at all.

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with explaining a complicated world you have created in a film. Unless you explain things over and over. What people have misunderstood with that, I believe, is explaining characters mostly by words instead of showing it with the events or through the story or using too much narration explaining stuff and all that. Now I would admit that those ones really are the examples for wrong direction a filmmaker can take and will certainly harm the experience for me.
This^

I also find it incredibly weird, when really the exposition in Inception is essentially part of the story and necessary for the experience. All of what's considered "exposition" is pretty much needed to explain ideas in the film, and Inception really doesn't explain things over and over. I thought the film struck a healthy balance between showing with action as well as words, both were necessary IMO.

I also find it weird because a huge complaint was "LOLOL INCEPTION IS TOO COMPLICATED!" yet at the same time there's too much exposition. So which is it? Too much explanation or not enough?
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

It isn't the same people voicing those complaints. General audience = too complicated, those educated in film = too much exposition.

It probably does have too much, or at least, there's more creative and entertaining ways to communicate information than, well, blatantly doing that. As I've posted a thousand times I think there's more than enough going on in those scenes that it hardly detracts from my viewing experience, but still.

-Vader

Cilogy wrote: I also find it weird because a huge complaint was "LOLOL INCEPTION IS TOO COMPLICATED!" yet at the same time there's too much exposition. So which is it? Too much explanation or not enough?
Not every audience (member) is the same.
Do you... like pineapple?

Besides the fact that a hipster wouldn't be a fan of a multi-billion grossing director, it feels like an excuse, the worst kind of crutch. When all idea of fair criticism or actual flaws go out the window and becomes an attack on someone's art and their fans. :judge:
I'm pretty sure hipsters are the very same attention whores who go after his movies, and waste months at a time on IMDB pointing out the "plot holes" in TDKR.

On a related note, I can't stand when people are so stupid as to say something like this:

"His movies are virtually no different from that of Michael Bay's. They're just more cleverly disguised."

This causes me to lose it. Every. Fucking. Time.
We really should stop this fighting, otherwise we'll miss the fireworks!

The only criticism that truly drives me nuts is whenever someone calls him overrated. As soon as I hear that I see no point in continuing the discussion.