Dreams

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
I'm preparing a lecture on dreams for uni and would love it if some of you could answer some questions for me...

1. Do you remember what you dreamt most nights? How often?
2. Do you take inspiration from your dreams for your daily life?
3. Ever had a dream you considered prophetic? (for example I heard of someone who dreamt his grandma died and in the morning found out she really had)
4. Do you feel any difference in your dreaming when you're ill? (for example, I've been lacking vitamin d for a few months now and since it started I remember at least one dream every morning. It never happened to me before. Also when I have the flu I only remember having nightmares)

Any other interesting facts on your dreams will be appreciated. If anyone wants to tell me a crazy dream they remember it'd also be great :) I'm also looking for academic essays and any research done on dreams online to have some hard facts, so if any of you randomly came across stuff like that pleas do share the link :)

1. Do you remember what you dreamt most nights? How often?

I do remember my dreams, I am one of the most skilled extractors. I remember a dream a day, sometimes more but usually one.

2. Do you take inspiration from your dreams for your daily life?

All the time, as I'm apparently an Artist/visual filmmaker, dreams are my catalyst to get ideas flowing.

3. Ever had a dream you considered prophetic? (for example I heard of someone who dreamt his grandma died and in the morning found out she really had)

not really, haven't had anything that has come true.

4. Do you feel any difference in your dreaming when you're ill? (for example, I've been lacking vitamin d for a few months now and since it started I remember at least one dream every morning. It never happened to me before. Also when I have the flu I only remember having nightmares)

I do have this feeling, when i'm ill and dreaming. The feel is like i'm being wrapped with very thin pieces of strings around my mouth.

Oh and every time something changes in the dream or i'm know i'm dreaming, a massive bright light shines towards me... I'm guessing its Aliens... or my Totem.

Hope that helps!

Z. Cobb wrote:I do have this feeling, when i'm ill and dreaming. The feel is like i'm being wrapped with very thin pieces of strings around my mouth.

Hope that helps!
That helps a lot thank you. I did notice most creative individuals remember their dreams more than others.

As for the feeling you mentioned, is it a very physical feeling? I felt once like someone is holding me down on the bed and I can't move. Of course there was no one there. I believe that was sleep paralysis.. I wonder if it was the same. I think I'll mention the sleep paralysis sensation in my lecture as it was the weirdest and scariest thing that ever happened to me.

1.) I rarely dream, and when I do, I find it difficult to remember most aspects of the dream. Although, it depends on the dream, I guess. For example, a dream which frightens me, I'd be more likely to remember it, yet a crazy or unusual dream would be more difficult to remember.

2.) Not at all, because 85% of the time, the dreams I endure are reflections of what has happened previously, or they contain elements of something that I have done recently.

3.) I've had dreams of relatives dying, as well as friends, which is very, very common. It doesn't mean anything. It doesn't even border your mental state. They can be poetic, but nothing has "come true", or nothing has appeared similar.

4.) I tend to dream more when I'm not tired, or when I'm ill with a fever or something. When I underwent a phase of food poising, I do remember clearly that I wasn't as tired as I usually am (although, given my sleeping patterns, I'm never that tired anyway) and I'd have deeper dreams, often memorable. It's strange. When ill, or mentally "down", I always feel like I'm trapped in some other reality, even when awake. It's this mental thing, which dilutes into dreams a lot, further backing up my previous statement on dreams being reflections of what I think or feel outside of sleep.

Yeah, hope that helped. :)

EDIT: I also had this extremely strange experience, of which only a few people (on here and in real life) know about. You could call it an OBE, I call it a vision.

Mason wrote:Yeah, hope that helped. :)

EDIT: I also had this extremely strange experience, of which only a few people (on here and in real life) know about. You could call it an OBE, I call it a vision.
Helps a lot, thank you. The food poisoning experience sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing now. And it seems a common situation that scary dreams, or nightmares, are remembered more than most.

Now chance I could hear more about the vision, ey? ;)

lalyil wrote:
Mason wrote:Yeah, hope that helped. :)

Helps a lot, thank you. The food poisoning experience sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing now. And it seems a common situation that scary dreams, or nightmares, are remembered more than most.

Now chance I could hear more about the vision, ey? ;)
It would take extremely long to explain. I did write it up once, but that's lost. One day I'll describe the event and PM it to you or something. But, as a basic examination of what I believe happened, it wasn't a dream, because it felt real. Think of it as your classic OBE scenario, but with elements of reality. I almost feel like it was some mental barrier I broke into. I don't believe in the supernatural, I'm not religious, so it's a strange one to wrap my head around, you know?

1. Do you remember what you dreamt most nights? How often? I dream most nights, but rarely seem to be able to to remember them has the day goes on except for the ones that are really intense. Those I can remember.

2. Do you take inspiration from your dreams for your daily life? No, not really. I mean most of my dreams are so wild and scattered there's no way I'm pulling inspiration from them.

3. Ever had a dream you considered prophetic? (for example I heard of someone who dreamt his grandma died and in the morning found out she really had) Never had anything like that happen, but I'd swear that I've dreamt something and weeks, months, or even years later I'll have a deja vu moment. Those are really wired and have really only happened a few times but they leave me breathless when they do happen.

4. Do you feel any difference in your dreaming when you're ill? (for example, I've been lacking vitamin d for a few months now and since it started I remember at least one dream every morning. It never happened to me before. Also when I have the flu I only remember having nightmares) Never really noticed one way or the other.

Any other interesting facts on your dreams will be appreciated. If anyone wants to tell me a crazy dream they remember it'd also be great :) So the last dream I remember was from a couple of weeks ago. Apparently I was trying to steal something and hired a bunch of girls dressed up like catholic school girls to make a distraction. Next thing I remember is being chased by bad guys, so I ran into what I remember to be a clothing store. (And this where it got really strange) Charlize Theron pulled a gun on me, but after I explained the situation, she ushered me out the back door were she told me to get in the car. Her car btw was a DeLorean. And that's all I remember.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

lalyil wrote:
Z. Cobb wrote:I do have this feeling, when i'm ill and dreaming. The feel is like i'm being wrapped with very thin pieces of strings around my mouth.

Hope that helps!
That helps a lot thank you. I did notice most creative individuals remember their dreams more than others.

As for the feeling you mentioned, is it a very physical feeling? I felt once like someone is holding me down on the bed and I can't move. Of course there was no one there. I believe that was sleep paralysis.. I wonder if it was the same. I think I'll mention the sleep paralysis sensation in my lecture as it was the weirdest and scariest thing that ever happened to me.
its like nausea, as if there's too much string in your mouth, overflowing, and its difficult to breathe.

DoubleD, thank you! The dream you described is excellent as it sounds actually logical to a point, I mean, hiring catholic school girls is an excellent idea :lol: I'll certainly use it. Thank you.

Z. Cobb, that's terrifying. Hope you don't mind I'm writing it down to use as an example.

Mason wrote:
lalyil wrote:It would take extremely long to explain. I did write it up once, but that's lost. One day I'll describe the event and PM it to you or something. But, as a basic examination of what I believe happened, it wasn't a dream, because it felt real. Think of it as your classic OBE scenario, but with elements of reality. I almost feel like it was some mental barrier I broke into. I don't believe in the supernatural, I'm not religious, so it's a strange one to wrap my head around, you know?
I understand. Sounds like a situation where you meditated by accident. I have friends who meditate and they want to do it well enough to reach an OBE status and find it nearly impossible. Suppose like with meditation it could have to do with relaxation and how you breathe.
If you write it down once I'd love if you could PM it to me, even if it's after my lecture actually takes place (end of next month but I'm suppose to collect all data prior to it of course)

I'm hardly religious as well, but when I experienced sleep paralysis for a minute I thought a demon was holding me down :lol:

1.I don't dream that much and I don't remember my dreams often too.I can remember some nightmares and some boring ones.

2.No.Some of them are so bizzare or pointless there's really nothing to extract from it.

3.Nah

4.Yes.The nightmares I had while being really really sick will probably haunt my forever.