The official NF Free-from-troll-bullshit elections 2020 (POLL CLOSED)

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.

Everyone who thinks atilasantos should be voted out from NF raise your hand and say AYE

Poll ended at November 1st, 2020, 3:09 pm

Aye
93%
Nah I don’t care about civil rights
7%

Total votes: 14

okay here are the details. we have a member on this forum who has continuously been trolling threads with alt right bullshit just enough to piss people off, but not enough to outright break rules. since NF has had a big problem with tyrannical dictators for mods before, we thought what better way to solve a problem than to have a poll!

so in true great democratic spirit, we’re letting YOU decide

do you want trump supporters on this website?

do you want anti-choicers with their “baby killer” bullshit on this website?

do you want someone who makes fun of sex workers and hunter biden’s appearance on this website?

the choice is in your hands! VOTE!

*poll will be up for 24 hours

discuss

Aye

Aye

I'd actually vote nah if it was someone different who's on the right and has different points of view and can calmly present and debate them. But he just posts alt-right "news" and "memes" so fuck it.

LelekPL wrote:
October 31st, 2020, 4:43 pm
Aye

I'd actually vote nah if it was someone different who's on the right and has different points of view and can calmly present and debate them. But he just posts alt-right "news" and "memes" so fuck it.
i think most sane people are actually mostly fine with people w differing views, the world is way too vast to not be. but the people like the person in question have seemingly successfully helped blur the lines between everyone so there are only absolutist opposing sides. people like them don’t actually care for productive convos they either care to *trigger* you with their pathetic meme shit or they care to shame you into submission for not entertaining (=approving) all of their ~polite~ bullshit

also just a side note i don’t believe human rights can ever fall into the category of ~different opinions~ but this is mostly irrelevant to our discussion atm just saying bc i think it’s important to note that most of the time, there’s always a line

I think there is a solution to this problem - one that I'm not exactly aware of at the moment - without the need for a vote. And I hope I don't read too much into this situation.

My "ideal" way of dealing with this is the following: the mods or the admins or whatever need to figure out what "rights" they have when it comes to moderating online forums.

For example, I wouldn't think that banning anyone for any reason violates any sort of civil or human right, because I'm really not sure these rights apply to random online forums. Alex and Teddy came up with this website, included a forum section, all this is dedicated to a filmmaker, mind you, and that's it. This is not some public platform for speakers or an official institution or whatever. So, my instinct is that the mods could ban anyone for any reason - or no reason - without any moral repercussions. This would mean that a vote is not necessary at all - just ban the fucking guy.

But maybe whatever I just explained is wrong and online forums do provide some basic online "free speech" protection to users that we are unaware of, and in that case, the mods and admins have to follow these rules. But the point is, I don't know, I'm not sure, those who are in charge of the forums need to be aware.

I guess the mod selection process is basically: "here, you are a mod now", so I doubt anyone ever thought about the moral and civil responsibilities of being an online forum mod. And this all could be really just a "free-for-all" where we, users and mods, make up the rules. Again, in this case, mods could easily say that they are banning the guy (girl?) because he/she annoys them, and that's it.

SO, long story short, I appreciate the idea behind the vote, but my gut feeling is that the mods have the right to remove anyone from the forums without the need to overly explain it.

DHOPW42 wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 5:33 am
SO, long story short, I appreciate the idea behind the vote, but my gut feeling is that the mods have the right to remove anyone from the forums without the need to overly explain it.
i appreciate the sentiment but i honestly do not think most take this forum all that seriously, we’re just trying to have some dumb fun in these depressing times

anyway, good job, team! the poll was a success <3

Shame something so cute can be so hateful.

Cilogy wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
Shame something so cute can be so hateful.

Well, knowing that he'll probably be using a bunch of racial epithets while we have sex ... probably not.