Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Artemis wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm
I feel this so much! Take small steps and take the time to learn the craft. Also, there is no age limit!
Amen about the age limit. I think what I’ll focus on right now is writing and developing ideas. Wish I had a network of friends who are interested in filmmaking- that’s why I think going to film school would’ve been useful for.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 12:54 pm
Seeing Rise of Skywalker, Knives Out, and all the Tenet content yesterday makes me want to jump start my filmmaking career somehow. Every single time I step into a movie theater, I’m reminded of what I want to do in life and where I want to go.
same but my birthday is next week and i feel too old lmao

i give up way too easily is what i’m saying

but good luck to you! you should go for it.

AhmadAli95 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:46 pm
Artemis wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm
I feel this so much! Take small steps and take the time to learn the craft. Also, there is no age limit!
Amen about the age limit. I think what I’ll focus on right now is writing and developing ideas. Wish I had a network of friends who are interested in filmmaking- that’s why I think going to film school would’ve been useful for.
Yeah filmschool is mostly for networking

I'm with Ruth on this, motivation and discipline are key, you already like working on it so having fun is no problem!

Ruth wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:50 pm
Thank you Ruth. But you’re making excuses - I think we’re probably the same age lol but then I remember Xavier Dolan exists...

I don’t think I’ll ever give up but I must put in the work and stop making excuses for myself. Going to the movies definitely motivates me.
Nomis wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:55 pm
I'm with Ruth on this, motivation and discipline are key, you already like working on it so having fun is no problem!
I guess what has been stopping me from making content is:
1. Lack of ‘good’ ideas. I still feel what if it’s complete shit? But my mindset has changed. It’s fine to fail and it’s fine to make bad decisions.

2. Lack of resources. Currently, I don’t have a computer and I have literally no one to work with.

People like Xavier Dolan are one in a million! Michael Haneke started working in his 40s. Ava DuVernay started directing in her early 30s. Boots Riley is in his 40s I think and he knocked it out of the park with Sorry to Bother You. Jameela Jamil was never going to be an actress but then she got her role on The Good Place at age 29.

Dolan is a great talent but don't let him intimidate you! A lot of debut films/novels/music etc are coming from people in their 30s and 40s because they're more financially stable now and they've lived a life and have more to say. Don't get hung up on age. The industry is changing for the better in how it views older people. That gives normies like us somewhat of a chance!

What is going on Artemis :lol:

Nomis wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 6:08 am
listen, if my post can help one person here get famous, i can ride off their coattails. don't ruin this smh

AhmadAli95 wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 2:25 pm
Ruth wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:50 pm
Thank you Ruth. But you’re making excuses - I think we’re probably the same age lol but then I remember Xavier Dolan exists...

I don’t think I’ll ever give up but I must put in the work and stop making excuses for myself. Going to the movies definitely motivates me.
Nomis wrote:
December 20th, 2019, 1:55 pm
I guess what has been stopping me from making content is:
1. Lack of ‘good’ ideas. I still feel what if it’s complete shit? But my mindset has changed. It’s fine to fail and it’s fine to make bad decisions.

2. Lack of resources. Currently, I don’t have a computer and I have literally no one to work with.
what is a 'good' idea?

dolan had industry connections from day 1 he doesn't count.

go to film school. some people in my class were in their 30's and 40's. also you're 24 you can't even ride roller coasters yet so don't act like you're life is over

Artemis wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 6:13 am
Nomis wrote:
listen, if my post can help one person here get famous, i can ride off their coattails. don't ruin this smh
k lol

Nomis wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 7:02 am
Artemis wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 6:13 am
Nomis wrote:
k lol
😒