Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Here's the thing though, I'm with you Artemis on everything you said, but one of our renowned scientists here said that virus blooming in the midst of summer is actually a good thing because the symptoms are fairly mild in comparison to what we got in March-April and that's how we can eventually get the infamous herd immunity. Sweden is getting there.

Still, people with masks under nose, anti-corona conspiracy theorists and generally irresponsible people throwing mega parties? Fuck em all.

What's hard for me personally to get excited about this year is definitely new upcoming movies. Most of them will be on VOD or bumped into 2021 anyway.

At least gaming was never in better position.

I'm the last person to underplay the gravity of the virus, but I think we need to reorient our perspective a bit. the death rate and case by case severity is far below what we initially believed, particularly for anyone our age. The greatest danger is the insane transmissibility of the virus, and the slew of strange symptoms. But even those seem relatively rare.

It's hard to gauge how much risk there is to do various activities compared to things we do all the time, like driving on holidays with a lot of drunk drivers on the road.

It's also that we must prepare for how the vaccine isn't a cure-all. It's most likely going to be effective at a 50% level. If it's successful at an 80-90% level, that would qualify as a major breakthrough. So we need to change this idea of pre-vaccine and post-vaccine. A vaccine will help reduce community transmission significantly, but it's not a situation where once you get it you're free to resume your normal life, and I think a lot of people are banking on that.

So things all in all are better in many ways than we thought but worse in others. I don't know what to do with this knowledge, I'm just sharing it.

-Vader

Not to intervene in all of your corona discussion, but sometimes I just browse this place and I wonder if anyone from WB has ever read any of our posts and chuckled. Or cringed more likely.

Like, how much do they know about this place? Are they aware of the drama (plural) we’ve had? Like sometimes I just wonder what the outward world would think of our insulated dysfunctionality.

I know for a fact they used to browse us frequently back in the TDKR era and I think also Interstellar. Dunkirk less so. Who knows now lol.

A lot of it centered on protecting leaks.

-Vader

If they're reading this: WB please let my family and I have a super private screening in the cleanest IMAX theater in Houston please. It would mean so much. My birthday is on Monday and it would be an awesome birthday gift.

Vader182 wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 7:43 pm
I know for a fact they used to browse us frequently back in the TDKR era and I think also Interstellar. Dunkirk less so. Who knows now lol.

A lot of it centered on protecting leaks.

-Vader
Wait... what?!

So they saw our super embarassing, cringe worthy mini civil wars?

Well, shit.

Artemis wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm
If they're reading this: WB please let my family and I have a super private screening in the cleanest IMAX theater in Houston please. It would mean so much. My birthday is on Monday and it would be an awesome birthday gift.
reposting because I really want this for you :gonf: you never know, ya know

also @Vader: well that's the thing with viruses, you can't fully wipe them out. Not too long ago two people even died from the plague in Mongolia for not thoroughly cooking a guinea pig or something. The fucking plague. also pls fact check this, might not be the plague from hundreds of years ago but still
Still, it might be necessary to get two or more shots of the vaccine, like the seasonal flu you know. The virus will never leave but if they really crack a real damn good vaccine, you sort of could say pre-vaccine/post-vaccine whenever we have it.

Nomis wrote:
August 16th, 2020, 5:06 am
Artemis wrote:
August 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm
also @Vader: well that's the thing with viruses, you can't fully wipe them out. Not too long ago two people even died from the plague in Mongolia for not thoroughly cooking a guinea pig or something. The fucking plague. also pls fact check this, might not be the plague from hundreds of years ago but still
Still, it might be necessary to get two or more shots of the vaccine, like the seasonal flu you know. The virus will never leave but if they really crack a real damn good vaccine, you sort of could say pre-vaccine/post-vaccine whenever we have it.
That's exactly it. The vaccine will be hugely important for the population, but way less for the individual. People will act recklessly to the detriment of themselves and others around them thinking they're 100% safe when really it'll probably be 50%. As I say, imagine if that was the rate of success on birth control while people operated as if it was 100%.

I think we really should adjust expectations of how to approach the vaccine.

-Vader

Indeed. It's going to be one thing to really 'sell' it to the people and why elderly are more likely to get vaccinated at all, if not to be the first in line for sure, but another thing is how to get the vaccines to all those people. Apparently, or at least I can speak for Europe, it's bound to be a logistical nightmare but thankfully they already know that so they still have time to figure that part out.
Personally I remain pretty optimistic that we could get the first legit vaccines by December, but it's obviously going to take a while before the majority has been vaccinated so things can sort of fluctuate back to, dare I say it, pre-pandemic, but just like you said, people might already start going full yolo and saying shit like: "Well there is some shit that works so I can already do whatever I want" before the vaccine has even reached people. Thus creating another sort of 'zone' where a lot of people can get infected before the vaccine actually reaches them. Then again, there are already people now who are just like, fuck it... Sigh.

I adjusted expectations on pretty much everything this year.

... and, since I already hear little Pratham in my head with that serve:

You wanted better sex? It was a 50-50 shot anyway. Welcome to 2020.