Diary: A NolanFans Story

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Vader182 wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 8:39 pm
Keep in mind these are 4K stills of a transfer intended to be seen with HDR. Those highlights have a lot more information on an HDR screen. This is why 4K stills of a movie with HDR are an imperfect science.

-Vader
You're right, but, for instance, on YouTube the TDK and TDKR transfers are both the 4K greener tint versions but the quality will only go up to 1080p. So that greener tint is still present regardless of HDR. Confused if this is closer to how Nolan wanted the films to be and confused at how blatantly different they all appear to be to what we had before.

If you watch trailers of TDK, they clearly had unfinished color grading yet still skewed far more green or more varied blues. The BD of TDK looks overcooked with a lot of orangeish reds here or there. So it's safe to say it's much closer to the theatrical release.

TDKR looks incredibly close to what I saw in theaters, having seen it 12 times in IMAX.

-Vader

i saw TDK when it was playing its 10th anniversary in 15/70mm and the color pallet was significantly different than the original blu-ray. i’d say that greenish color on the 4k release, which i got as soon as it was available, is closer to what i saw in theaters - jeez, i can’t believe that was almost 2 years ago

Turns out when Google Play upgraded movies of digital movie owners to 4K, they did that for only movies purchased from GP and not for Movies Anywhere redeemers. So I only own these 4K greener transfers in 1080p (I don't own the 4K set yet, and it's incredibly difficult to find). TDKR looks *considerably* more impressive to me and the color correction seems to have completely fixed my issue with the movie looking like burnt toast. But...not sure I'll watch these new transfers in 1080p like I would my BD's because the digital versions are lacking the IMAX-ratio during their respective sequences, which are essential to the viewing experience for me.

When I look on Vudu, however, interestingly enough, the films are the old transfers I'm used to. This is partly why I hate digital stuff like this. Nothing consistent and always changing. Now I feel like I've been watching the wrong version of the movies for the past decade.

Probably going to use up my credits on Inception just to ensure that I genuinely have a 4K copy of this film across all formats with a new transfer I can watch.

Low-key looks like every one of them was shot by Hoyte van Hoytema now because the colors are softer, with an emphasis on teal/greens rather than brown/oranges.

Forum Pro
Law
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 3:51 pm
is anyone else irritated by the phrase "trying times"? literally no one had used it since like the 1800's and suddenly it's the only thing people say to describe what's going on

i fully understand this is prolly just me
you and I are one.

One thing that always bothered me about the TDK Bluray is that it's over sharpened. The UHD version is much better in that regard.

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 3:51 pm
is anyone else irritated by the phrase "trying times"? literally no one had used it since like the 1800's and suddenly it's the only thing people say to describe what's going on

i fully understand this is prolly just me
i’m more so annoyed by how everyone says everything is suddenly “the new norm” or “our new reality” and actually means it

Dobson wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 6:56 am
One thing that always bothered me about the TDK Bluray is that it's over sharpened. The UHD version is much better in that regard.
yea the blu for TDK is pretty shit all around. lots of overcooked colors like Vader mentioned, and the over sharpening combined with some shitty compression makes the 35mm scenes look pretty junky

the IMAX suffers a lot less, but even then - the grain is artificially reduced to nothing.

i love that the 4k release lets the softness of the 35mm coincide naturally (or maybe unnaturally) with the crisp IMAX footage

Bacon wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 5:52 pm
Surprised there hasn't been a bunch of talk about this online.
It has been discussed to death on the Blu-ray forum. Begins got a lot of heat for one “waxy” Alfred shot. judging only by the caps, I’d say the new transfer definitely looks better on all aspects.