NolanFans Diary Dawn of Collecting

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
The Bourne Redundancy

Vader182 wrote:Dude I adore the Bourne Trilogy, own them on Blu and about to buy them in 4K/HDR10 once they're released. In fact my girlfriend telling me she hated them was the first time we had a major variance in taste in film on one of our first dates.

I just don't think this new Bourne movie has a reason to exist and I have franchise fatigue in a truly incredible way. The trailer is not inspiring either. Bourne's entire arc finished with the last movie and its themes came full circle as well. Not to mention, the spy/espionage as thriller Three Days of the Condor thing it does has actually aged insanely well. It has more social and political relevancy now than it did at release. I'll probably end up liking it plenty fine idk.

-Vader
I just trust that Greengrass has something new to say otherwise why bother coming back? He was coming off a huge success with Captain Phillips. It's not like he had a bomb and was forced to go back into a franchise.
Last edited by Allstar on June 22nd, 2016, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have no idea why i'm ridiculously excited for the new Bourne film. I need to settle down and lessen my hype. It's just not normal for me to be this excited.

Vader182 wrote:Yeah, I still haven't finished the grieving ending of Hannibal.

Well, in terms of inventive big time filmmaking.... Game of Thrones is the top tier of top tier and is by far the most obvious choice. Episodes 2, 4, 5, and 9 this season have been truly extraordinary, with content that eclipses what most big budget movies are even attempting right now. I also recommend The Knick, the second season is essentially made up of super inventive "oners" in a style pretty similar to Revenant but actually works. Obviously True Detective Season 1 is a benchmark... Better Call Saul has its moments... The Americans... Fargo has both rich drama, a compelling thriller / detective template, as well as the occasional gut sucking intense set piece. Another favorite that's sort of a bizarre blend of American Psycho, Fight Club and The Social Network is Mr. Robot. The Leftovers is the art house version of LOST, and the second season is a triumph of storytelling in any medium. If philosophical/ethical/religious themes are your jam I highly recommend it. Also magic realism. Most people seem to think Daredevil and Jessica Jones has richer drama and even better action than a lot of the Marvel movies so there's that.

Anyway that might get you started. I'm often way more excited and satisfied by what TV puts out on a week to week basis than the average movie I see. In fact it's not even close.

-Vader
I appreciate the response V, but here's a thing. Almost all these show are at the mercy of the networks.

We, the viewers, invest ourselves into these shows but if the network thinks that it is not going as expected, they can drop the hammer anytime. There's no commitment from their side to the show. No consideration about show's target audience. Especially true for niche shows, which is what most of us are interested in.

fellow britbongers, what are you voting tomorrow? :gonf:

Speaking of Bourne, I want a prequel/spinoff of Outcome 3 in Bourne Legacy
best part of that movie yo

Pratham wrote:
I appreciate the response V, but here's a thing. Almost all these show are at the mercy of the networks.

We, the viewers, invest ourselves into these shows but if the network thinks that it is not going as expected, they can drop the hammer anytime. There's no commitment from their side to the show. No consideration about show's target audience. Especially true for niche shows, which is what most of us are interested in.
I take your point but how is this any different from the world of movies? Studios take unique/original projects and spin them into four quadrant movies whenever possible. One of the only reasons Nolan probably got the greenlight on stuff like Inception and Interstellar is because he puts in the inane over-exposition we all dread. It's to hand hold the audience, which the studio likely supports. Media is an investment of capital and they want a return regardless of the medium. I've had plenty of shows I've loved that have had exactly the amount of seasons the creators wanted and other shows that didn't (Deadwood, Firefly, now Hannibal). We are in the golden age of TV, and to be honest as budgets increase and cameras get better TV is more and more allowing long form, novelistic storytelling but on a nearly cinematic platform. I really suggest checking stuff out.

-Vader

Tomorrow's going to the first time I ever vote. It's actually kinda scary how close the polls are.

Visiting Detroit for a few days during end of Summer to visit some friends, then going for a beer tour in Grand Rapids.

I sincerely hope I don't die in Detroit :lol:

darthnazgul wrote:

Dude used to be mildly amusing but his shtick is getting so redundant. ugh