NolanFans Diary Dawn of Collecting

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
BlairCo wrote:Finally got my first job interview in almost two years. It's at my local cinema, which I'm very excited about. Any idea what they might ask, any idea at all?
They likely want to make sure you'll

A. Show up

B. Show up on time

C. Aren't fucking crazy/abusive/lazy etc.

D. Willing to learn and work hard, and have basic competence.

Sandy wrote:
BlairCo wrote:Finally got my first job interview in almost two years. It's at my local cinema, which I'm very excited about. Any idea what they might ask, any idea at all?
They likely want to make sure you'll

A. Show up

B. Show up on time

C. Aren't fucking crazy/abusive/lazy etc.

D. Willing to learn and work hard, and have basic competence.
They always ask you about your qualities, including the ones you aren't good at. So you should be able to self-reflect and tell how you handle such things.

I recently got coffee with Nick Davis, a tenured professor at Northwestern University and RT approved film critic. He told me he has friends who graduated from Harvard with a PHD in film scholarship and can't find a job. He emphasizes it's not humility that makes him say getting his job was luck, it's a fact. Every film professor I know has to work at a couple places just to make things financially viable.

Film production is a whole different ballgame. It's competitive, but there are many avenues. Advertising, TV, etc. My friend who's gotten closest to 'making it' in film is an editor at Leo Burnett and makes terrific money, and is able to finance short films on her own from time to time.

-Vader

I'm a recent film graduate and currently experiencing how tough it is to get a steady job. I've worked on some productions and I've done logging, but it's tough. Anyone here have advice?

don't worry, ya'll can make commercials for me once I get my own clinic

Sky007 wrote:I'm a recent film graduate and currently experiencing how tough it is to get a steady job. I've worked on some productions and I've done logging, but it's tough. Anyone here have advice?
As a fellow recent film graduate, no.

Sky007 wrote:I'm a recent film graduate and currently experiencing how tough it is to get a steady job. I've worked on some productions and I've done logging, but it's tough. Anyone here have advice?
Get a biz degree or learn how to code. :thumbup:

Having a side hustle is always good while pursuing your passion.

As an almost film graduate; pray

Are Law and I the only two on this forum who are not film students?

Dodd wrote:Are Law and I the only two on this forum who are not film students?
I mean, you know I only have a minor in "moving image arts." BA in Psych.

-Vader