NolanFans Advice/Support Thread

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Dodd wrote:
Cilogy wrote:
follow your dreams
Thats what my gut is telling me. This is tough. Such a cliché "life cross road" choice :lol:

Next thing I know I'll be getting my own movie on LifeTime.

Edit: Thanks DD! and Cil :gonf:
For real though man, I cosign with everything D said.

If you are sure fashion is what you want to do, and you have to be very sure and very committed to following through, then do it. As far as I can tell you'd be very successful with it. You're parents only want what's best for you, so that's why they envision a clear and reliable path and want you to pursue it. However, it's important that you clarify to them that fashion (or whatever it is you want) is truly what you aspire to do. I know this is cliche as fuck, but just ask them sincerely to support you in following your dream.

Yeah Dodd, do what you want to do.

The question is though... will your parents continue to pay for all your shit? lol

what did you graduate in, also masters degree or bachelor?
The thing is that you now a backdrop if the fashion stuff doesn't work out. That should relieve your parents.

Cilogy wrote:
Dodd wrote:I actually have a situation that I could really use some input from people from varying educational backgrounds that kind of know me... The NF community. Asking people on Yahoo Answers for guidance in this situation is a bit to impersonal and I can't really ask my real life friends because, as much as I love them, they are not really on the cutting edge of the educational community if you get what I mean.

Anywho as I mentioned before I very recently finished university and graduated from a boring ass program I had little interest in. Now that all that is done I was really looking forward to taking a one-year graduate program relating to the fashion industry. The problem with that is, although the option is there, my family have really voiced how they would prefer me to rather not learn about fashion. Long story short they told me they would much rather me take a Executive MBA program. Boooringg
I have told them how I'm not interested in that sort of thing and its really caused sort of a tension and distancing between us, because they really have no knowledge or interest in the fashion industry and I have no interest or much knowledge regarding the financial and business world. And its frustrating to choose between something I genuinely have an interest in and my parents being happy, because I would love for them to be proud of my choices because they do everything for me, but I don't want my career path to be something I'm not interested in, I don't really care about the financial part of it. I know I would be really happy working in the fashion industry.

At this point is boiling down to some sort of weird twisted family legacy thing, and its messing with my decision making.

Here is where is gets tricky I could do both. I could simultaneously take the fashion program online, while taking the MBA course in person. The thing with that is I would be incredibly mentally exhausted and have little to no social life (which I fucking love) and uh no time for movies!

I'm in real need of advice and the clock is ticking. :think:

Any input would be greatly appreciated because I'm a doofus who can make his own life choices. :lol: :lol: :gonf:
fuck your parents

follow your dreams
Nonono only do the last part. Jesus, Cil
Last edited by TehBatGetsBraked on July 31st, 2013, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Braked I love you

I'm scared to follow my dreams to become a film or philosophy professor entirely because everyone I encounter that has a job in those fields I'd desire tells me it's a horrible idea and they either got crazy lucky or have a hard time. They also make far less money than I'd consider a pretty comfortable lifestyle with financial freedom, so there's that.

But man, I don't think there's a thing more beautiful in life than the exact moment of the discovery of passion and love for art, specifically movies. I'd love to be there sitting in a classroom during a screening and experience Stanley Kubrick opening kid's eyes to an infinite creative expanse of possibility and splendor. Ang Lee talks about one such experience in his youth was seeing The Virgin Spring by Ingmar Bergman, and how he sat transfixed and mystified film had many paths that hadn't even begun to show to him. That's probably the throughline I'm after here, since Batman Begins did for me exactly what The Virgin Spring did for Ang Lee. I want to be there to see it.

But, alas.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:I'm scared to follow my dreams to become a film or philosophy professor entirely because everyone I encounter that has a job in those fields I'd desire tells me it's a horrible idea and they either got crazy lucky or have a hard time. They also make far less money than I'd consider a pretty comfortable lifestyle with financial freedom, so there's that.

But man, I don't think there's a thing more beautiful in life than the exact moment of the discovery of passion and love for art, specifically movies. I'd love to be there sitting in a classroom during a screening and experience Stanley Kubrick opening kid's eyes to an infinite creative expanse of possibility and splendor. Ang Lee talks about one such experience in his youth was seeing The Virgin Spring by Ingmar Bergman, and how he sat transfixed and mystified film had many paths that hadn't even begun to show to him. That's probably the throughline I'm after here, since Batman Begins did for me exactly what The Virgin Spring did for Ang Lee. I want to be there to see it.

But, alas.

-Vader
Vader, let me tell you something (and believe, I know how cheesy this sounds), but you have to follow your dream. In the Nolan Fans Diary thread there was a discussion about you being a snob and someone (I think it was darth) nailed it: you're passionate. You love films and every time I (personally) read a review or comment of yours I get to love films even more.

If this is what you want to do, do it man. I believe few professors can be as inspiring as you could be.

Guys, please read this. If you're in your early twenties, late teens, whatever, risk everything to follow your dream, but "everything" really isn't that much. In 7-10 years you'll be firmly ensconced in more bills, rent, etc than you have now. Use your window and at least you can say you tried your damndest.

Sandy wrote:Guys, please read this. If you're in your early twenties, late teens, whatever, risk everything to follow your dream, but "everything" really isn't that much. In 7-10 years you'll be firmly ensconced in more bills, rent, etc than you have now. Use your window and at least you can say you tried your damndest.
so true. I'd hate to live my life think what if?

Fuckin' life man, tough choices.

Forum Pro
Law
Dodd wrote:
Sandy wrote:Guys, please read this. If you're in your early twenties, late teens, whatever, risk everything to follow your dream, but "everything" really isn't that much. In 7-10 years you'll be firmly ensconced in more bills, rent, etc than you have now. Use your window and at least you can say you tried your damndest.
Fuckin' life man, tough choices.
Yeah man, it must be hard having parents who feed you money for breakfast, lunch and dinner.