Best Cinema Experience

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Forum Pro
Law
DreamPolice wrote:Oh yeah, there was also the ending of Inception.

The entire theater went fucking ballistic.
WHAATTTT!! NOOO!! NO FUCKING WAY!!!! ARE YOU KIDIDNG ME!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Law wrote: In the moment it was too amazing to question. With the music and the silhouette of Bruce walking into the light ..
RyanRises wrote: :| Why would they yell "plot hole"? It's not a plot hole at all. Why should people need to have everything explained to themselves all the time? :roll:
I was making fun of all the people who claim it's a plothole; I know it wasn't, hence the " :lol: "

Law wrote:
TDK- When Batman was behind the Joker in the interrogation room people went NUTS
:twothumbsup: :wave: +1

ZD30. When it cut to black, people just sat there in silence, embracing the emotion.
Brave New World

Children of Men will always remain my favourite cinema experience. It's in my top 5 favorite films of all time anyways but seeing it on the big screen was just mesmerizing.

Speaking of cinema experiences, I definitely wanna go to a screening of The Room sometime.

DreamPolice wrote:Speaking of cinema experiences, I definitely wanna go to a screening of The Room sometime.
Yeah. It's life changing.
Brave New World

DreamPolice wrote:Speaking of cinema experiences, I definitely wanna go to a screening of The Room sometime.

That would be so fun.
Do you... like pineapple?

Seeing TDKR on opening weekend, in IMAX, surrounded by eager fans. I had to get there about 4 hours beforehand to stand in line, but it was well worth the wait.

The audience had such visceral reactions to shit. Even though I'd seen the prologue multiple times via camrip, seeing it again in IMAX was pretty much one of the most terrifying and thrilling experiences I've ever had. I could feel people biting their nails and covering their mouths when Bruce was getting pummeled by Bane. Folks were cheering when Bruce climbed out of the pit. Everyone seemed so completely invested in this film and there is literally nothing that beats that vibe.
Last edited by Cilogy on January 28th, 2013, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Oh hell, fine. I've given this a lot more thought since my last one too. I've written similar things before, but it's worth retyping on the basis alone it's a pleasure for me to recount them.

The Lord of the Rings- These films have come to personify almost everything I value in filmmaking, cinema, myself, and the world. My first PG-13 films in theaters, enabling me to see with new eyes.

Batman Begins- This is the film that pushed me to fall in love with cinema. Much of Lord of the Rings did, and still does, seem to exist in a sort of 'vacuum' outside of any artistic medium or something "above" the medium and thus not a fine example of it. Batman Begins wasn't just a spellbinding experience on all fronts, it revealed the potential for storytelling in cinema through a creative combination of real sets, computer effects, epic scale contemporary storytelling, and larger than life characters grounded in a gothic humanity. In 2005, I fell in love with the movies.

The Prestige- Solidifying Christopher Nolan as amongst my favorite filmmakers if not my favorite, he mind fucked my high school brain with an accomplishment of pure storytelling virtuoso and creativity.

Wall-E- For reasons still unbeknownst to me, the midnight showing at my local cineplex that my friend and I attended was full of goth kids, all of whom, like us, found the film an enormously hysterical and euphoric experience, having me leave the movie theater on a brilliant high that lasted days.

The Dark Knight- On the train ride home from Navy Pier, I messaged a friend: "well, what did you think?" His response encapsulates what so much of the world felt leaving the cinemas, especially, I imagine, the sort with 7 story screens: "Dude, do you even have to ask?"

Avatar- I've posted about this a thousand times, but I imagine it was the closest thing I'll ever feel to what audiences first watching Star Wars must have experienced in 1977. A transcendant and beautiful experience, enhanced by world-opening IMAX 3D, it's an experience I'll carry with me for the rest of my life.

Inception- Still what I feel is the best of my idol Christopher Nolan's massively impressive catalogue of films, it encapsulates, similarly to Lord of the Rings, every reason I ever enter a movie theater. Somehow organically combining genres, tones, ideas, and brilliantly fun technical craft into a magically cohesive package, this is Nolan firing on all creative cylinders, an opus likely to always be remembered as one of his best even after what's hopefully a career of continued cinematic power.

The Dark Knight Rises- It was perfect. Perfect. A group of 12 ate at an iconic Chicago chain (Portillos), then had a psuedo party/rave in a friend's backyard with his new DJ equipment in a light rain, then hungout and geeked out with a hundred other people for an hour prior to the screening, the air was electric and the audience amongst the most buzzed I've ever seen at the 3 a.m. showing. The film-, god the film was amongst the hardest hitting things I've ever experienced cinematically for a thousand reasons I've detailed that many times, but the ending, wow. We leave in silence and I hear from two of my friend's reluctant to go at all- "Wow, that was amazing." We proceeded home in two separate cars, one of which competed for rights to marry Anne Hathaway and the other the most evocative moment in the film. Back by 7, we ate a disgustingly delicious breakfest at our favorite dining spot while causing a ruckus geeking out over the film, dissecting and analyzing everything the film had to offer- which far exceeded the boundaries of these conversations. From my hesitant friends falling in love with The Dark Knight Rises to group-based bliss that dominated before and after the screening, it may very well remain amongst the most memorable for the rest of my life.

Two very recent additions to the list are Cloud Atlas and Zero Dark Thirty. They're less serious entries, but both involved phenomenal crowd "participation" knowing just when to laugh or when to let out audible shocks or reactions to incredible tension. Epic discussions followed with my friends, which always adds a lot to the "experience." I should mention the experience for Prometheus was fantastic as well, along with both of my Hobbit screenings.

-Vader