What Made You Go WTF?

A place for interesting and non-interesting thread ideas.
Numbers wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 3:35 am
atilasantos wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 2:55 am
Critics, man :blank:

Watch it for yourself before you follow everyone in their blind outrage. From what I can tell, the only real problem with this movie is how Netflix chose to market it.
I dunno I thought this controversy was a totally unjustified faux right wing hit job but the clips from the movie are genuinely disturbing/unsettling to say the least. Whatever the intentions were it’s fairly gross children were directed this way.

The marketing of the film by Netflix is appalling and it's in the exact contrast with what the film is trying to point out.

Master Virgo wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:20 am
The marketing of the film by Netflix is appalling and it's in the exact contrast with what the film is trying to point out.
it is appalling and this is true, but something I'm not overly announcing is that at the end of the day, intentionality only gets you so far when you're asking child performers to perform those acts on screen, wearing those outfits, while (probably/hopefully) barely understanding what they are or represent.

I'm sure Cuties is a good movie and well intentioned, but I have to confess it makes me uncomfortable they asked those 11 year old performers to do those things at all.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:33 am
only gets you so far when you're asking child performers to perform those acts on screen, wearing those outfits, while (probably/hopefully) barely understanding what they are or represent.

I'm sure Cuties is a good movie and well intentioned, but I have to confess it makes me uncomfortable they asked those 11 year old performers to do those things at all.

-Vader
This is exactly the problem. Regardless of the bad faith right I am stunned so many in the media and on the left can’t see this. They just don’t want to “agree” with them which is understandable but this is going too far to not see any problem here. Imagine making an anti-animal abuse movie but filming real animals get hurt to show it is bad? That’s essentially what this movie is doing with the sexualization of young girls.

Allstar wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:17 pm
Vader182 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 3:33 am
only gets you so far when you're asking child performers to perform those acts on screen, wearing those outfits, while (probably/hopefully) barely understanding what they are or represent.

-Vader
This is exactly the problem. Regardless of the bad faith right I am stunned so many in the media and on the left can’t see this. They just don’t want to “agree” with them which is understandable but this is going too far to not see any problem here. Imagine making an anti-animal abuse movie but filming real animals get hurt to show it is bad? That’s essentially what this movie is doing with the sexualization of young girls.
Exactly

This is outrageous :facepalm:

natalie wrote:
March 23rd, 2021, 6:10 pm
This is outrageous :facepalm:

This is stupid and I hate you for exposing me to this.