NolanFans collective diary of angry venting

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I'm not sure how much this is being covered in the world media, but Australia is burning right now and has been for months. Our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, has been completely absent from this national crisis and barely acknowledged it up until a few days ago, and was found to be holidaying in Hawaii while our nation burns. Our Rural Fire Service is relying on donations from the community because state governments have cut almost all of their funding and the PM refuses to offer any financial support at a federal level, instead committed to achieving a budget surplus. The Defence Force has only just now been deployed to offer humanitarian support to communities that have lost everything. Entire localities are being driven to the beaches/water because they have nowhere else to go. The PM announces that the volunteer firefighters "want to be there (fighting the fires)", even though they are taking unpaid leave from their full time jobs without any financial support from the federal government.

And then this coward has the audacity to do this https://twitter.com/i/status/1212680290570661888; physically force a bushfire victim to shake his hand for press whilst ignoring her desperate cry for help and then proceeding to run away from the scene.

This is all maddening. You keep hearing about Aussies trashing their politicians, but you never think it’s that awful until tragedies like these keep piling on.

I’ve never been to Australia, but I’ve also never thought of it as anything other than breathtakingly beautiful and to see the country suffer so much kills me on the inside. To see those who should do everything in their power to help not give a single fuck is fucking insanity. It was insulting for Sydney to not cancel their nye firework show. I spent the majority of 31st looking up all the pictures from the Mallacoota and all of the other fires and just feeling really dumb for not being able to do much and knowing that for most of the rest of the world it’s a fun night. I have such incredible respect for the firefighters, seeing what they’re up against with so little support. And everybody else who is doing everything they can to stop the fires and help others to recover.

only now found out the doomsday clock shows 100 seconds till midnight

this is totally fine lol

Count down for what!

The state is finally in lock-down. Unfortunately, my slimy boss is requiring us to ignore the quarantine order because we run a small office with less than 10 people. He even had his "federal judge friend" skim over the order to find loopholes so we couldn't work from home.

The worst part about this is it that was recently my father's birthday. He has severe heart and kidney disease, and gets sick very easily. I had planned on visiting him a few weeks after being quarantined, but that is now out the window.

If you have understanding and caring employers, do not take them for granted. There are not many out there.

I'm at the point where i just dread hearing anything news related about the China/Hong Kong situation on tv, or radio or anything, just because that means i have listen to my parents being supportive of the government. I'm getting sick and tired of my parents being ignorant about the protests and being up the government's hole. Like, bitch, you're both from Hong Kong; You should know better.

I just don't have the energy to debate with them.
My parents: (about the protests) If you don't like the China/Hong Kong Government, just leave Hong Kong.

*several days later*

My aunt: Announces that she's planning to leave Hong Kong for good because of the government (in a group chat i'm not part of).

My parents: * with surprise pikachu face* But why are you panicking; you're not thinking this through; it's not like the government will catch you since you did nothing wrong.

Me:

seems like this season poland decided to turn the clocks all the way back to the 1400s

Ruth wrote:
October 25th, 2020, 2:14 pm
seems like this season poland decided to turn the clocks all the way back to the 1400s
Stop hating! We the best!

But seriously, it's become a real shitshow.

During a pandemic neither me nor my wife will be protesting the recent ruling of our Constitutional Tribunal, especially since it hasn't really changed the situation that much in our country as abortion was already very difficult to have in Poland and most were already traveling to Czechia to get the procedure done and that will still be an option.

But this doesn't change my opinion that this decision was assbackwards, kept us in the Dark Ages with this issue and it's awful that men think they can make decisions over what women HAVE TO do during pregnancy. And the comments of our far right party, aptly named Konfederacja, are despicable and seeing them triumph is just another pain in the ass this year. Unfortunately, the right is where the world seems to be heading recently, and as much as the rise of it all over the world continues to baffle me, it is scary and disappointing at the same time. Like 15 years ago, I remember the trend was way more progressive and hopeful. Hell, 25 years ago we were making greater progress than now. Now we're just regressing and I really think like Social Media created this issue.

Yeah I get the feeling that if it weren't for bad actors on social media, non issues wouldn't be an issue.

Sometimes I cruise through right wing Twitter and they complain about everything. Men not being masculine enough, too many people identifying as LGBT, abortion, birth control etc. Biggest thing I notice is that most of what they have gripes with do not affect them at all. Like if they were normal people they could go months without thinking of these subjects.

It's really very weird.

Social media is a disease and it's making people more and more angry by the day. There def are upsides to it but like the downsides seem to outweigh the good.