The Trayvon Martin Case

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
in my opinion George Zimmerman should have just waited for the proper authorities to arrive but i have a feeling he will be acquitted .
Last edited by manofsteel1 on June 28th, 2013, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmerman better get locked up.

Bacon wrote:Zimmerman better get locked up.
He won't.

DoubleD wrote:
Bacon wrote:Zimmerman better get locked up.
He won't.
You think that excellent witnesses like the one talking right now won't put him away?

I am not positively sure on the details surrounding this case, however from my understanding Zimmerman did not break any laws. The law does not state that one cannot follow another. The law does state that if said citizen is in danger the aforementioned may use a gun for self-defense purposes. If it is true that Zimmerman was indeed in danger then the law permits it legal to use force via a gun. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is an entirely different question.

If people are unhappy with the stand your ground law, then perhaps they should attempt to repeal the law rather than convict a man on murder charges.

Le Sangre wrote:I am not positively sure on the details surrounding this case, however from my understanding Zimmerman did not break any laws. The law does not state that one cannot follow another. The law does state that if said citizen is in danger the aforementioned may use a gun for self-defense purposes. If it is true that Zimmerman was indeed in danger then the law permits it legal to use force via a gun. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is an entirely different question.

If people are unhappy with the stand your ground law, then perhaps they should attempt to repeal the law rather than convict a man on murder charges.
I don't know the details either, but I have a feeling intent is important here. Zimmerman seemed to be on the lookout for a confrontation with someone. Also when he called the cops, they told him to back off, but he kept following.

Also the fate of this case could potentially affect the fate of Stand Your Ground, which is why it's such an important case.

Cilogy wrote:
Le Sangre wrote:I am not positively sure on the details surrounding this case, however from my understanding Zimmerman did not break any laws. The law does not state that one cannot follow another. The law does state that if said citizen is in danger the aforementioned may use a gun for self-defense purposes. If it is true that Zimmerman was indeed in danger then the law permits it legal to use force via a gun. Whether or not that was the right thing to do is an entirely different question.

I don't know the details either, but I have a feeling intent is important here. Zimmerman seemed to be on the lookout for a confrontation with someone. Also when he called the cops, they told him to back off, but he kept following.

Also the fate of this case could potentially affect the fate of Stand Your Ground, which is why it's such an important case.
You make a good point, but remember that an operator is not in charge of an individual and does not have the authority to order people around. The operator was also extremely vague, saying: "We don't need you to do that." At which point Zimmerman's defense claims Zimmerman stopped following Martin.

The defense claims Martin then approached Zimmerman and reasonably asked: "What are you following me for?", to which Zimmerman replied: "What are you doing around here?" Then Martin's phone cut out. What happened next, according to the defense, is that Travyon Martin attacked Zimmerman. Screams of "help" were heard, but it is still unclear as to whether or not those screams came from Martin, or Zimmerman. Travyon Martin had one gun-shot wound to the chest, and Zimmerman had a broken nose and cuts on his head. Martin had no other injuries to him other than the fatal bullet wound, indicating Zimmerman did not hit Martin, and that Martin was possibly the aggressor.

One plausible scenario, in my opinion, is that Martin was running away from Zimmerman in an attempt to "lose him" to which Zimmerman pursued. When Zimmerman caught up with Martin, Martin asked: "What are you following for", and when Zimmerman asked: "What are you doing around here", he may have attempted to grab Martin by the arm or something of the sort, resulting in the fight. But that is my own hearsay considering I was not at the scene.

Rachel Jeantel sank the state's case against Mr Zimmerman the way she described the tragic event was like martin profiled Zimmerman not the other way around .

Martin was under 18 I believe and Zimmerman a grown up adult, who to me, I don't even know him look likes a cocky dude. You give a gun to a cocky person, he will try his best to confront anyone. Zimmerman is one of those kind of dudes, who looks for a fight. To feel special.

Okay, according to the reports, Martin attacked him. Zimmerman's team claims, it was Zimmerman who was calling for HELP. But it is hard to believe that Zimmerman was the one calling from help. A grown up with a gun, and your title is a Guard. You are calling for HELP, because an underage boy beating your ass?

It's pretty clear to comprehend the whole situation just from that 911 tape. He dials 911 to report that he is looking at a man walking inside this gated neighborhood. Then dispatcher advises Zimmerman to sit. Do nothing. But, Zimmerman wants to be special. Because he is that cocky dude with a gun. He can stop anyone he wants. Anyone looks suspicious, Zimmerman has the authority to question them. He follows Martin. Martin is on the phone, and in his pocket, Martin has Skittles and some kind of a juice. Martin looks back and Zimmerman is following him. Martin gets paranoid. He is a kid, that's why. Zimmerman asks him, what are you doing here? - Martin, on the phone, tells his friend, that there is this guy following him. Zimmerman comes close to Martin. And Martin brings his hand down, and the phone in that hand is still on. Meaning the friend is listening to their conversation in the background.

Fight starts.

And, before Zimmerman started following Martin. Seconds after Zimmerman put the phone down after he was done talking to the dispatcher, the phone remains on. Dispatcher is still on the other hand, listening. Zimmerman, states to himself... These punks always get away. - Now, that. That proves to me that Zimmerman wanted to feel BIG. SPECIAL. COOL. So later he could go and join his friends. Tell them a story. Yeah, I stopped this dude today. Blah, Blah. But it didn't get there.

Zimmerman judged Martin based on Martin's looks and attire. And, I am telling you, it was Zimmerman who probably provoked Martin. Zimmerman like a loser lost the fight, because he did actually got his ass kicked. Then he takes the gun out. And shoots Zimmerman in the chest. End of story.

Zimmerman is an idiot. I feel like slapping him across his face. As a guard or whatever he was, he could have in a professional manner handled the situation.

Looks like we could have a verdict by the end of the week.