The Trayvon Martin Case

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
DoubleD wrote:Can I just ask what everyone thinks about the eyewitness that says Trayvon attacked Zimmerman. Now obviously I wasn't there, but does Zimmerman not have the right to defend himself.
Not really trustworthy, since there was a report that there was a cop on scene correcting witnesses, trying to make them say that Trayvon was the aggressor.

And like tykjen said, the 911 tapes are enough.

chee wrote:
DoubleD wrote:Can I just ask what everyone thinks about the eyewitness that says Trayvon attacked Zimmerman. Now obviously I wasn't there, but does Zimmerman not have the right to defend himself.
Not really trustworthy, since there was a report that there was a cop on scene correcting witnesses, trying to make them say that Trayvon was the aggressor.

Haven't heard that about the cop yet. That's interesting.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

chee wrote:

I honestly doubt that Zimmerman just shot him for no reason. If he did, he would have shown a history of that sort of shit. There had to be a moment there where Trayvon did something that sparked the resulting shooting. Doesn't make it any more his fault or anything, because he was being stalked, but the media is spinning this as some dude walking up to a 17-year-old kid (but having us picture a, like, 13-year-old kid) and shooting him for no reason or simply because he was black. The dude is probably pretty unconsciously racist and has a hero complex. I don't see him as this evil, cold-blooded monster. I don't know him, obviously, but I see him as a legitimately mentally ill man.

And on the tapes, even if I was the aggressor, I'd probably be shouting for help once a gun was pulled out. He was 17 and male. Most of us are pseudo-macho dickholes at that age. Again, doesn't mean Trayvon was at any fault or anything, but I find the media's/internet's story of him being an angel kinda impossible to believe.

New reports says......
Trayvon Martin attacked George Zimmerman, knocking the man to the ground, jumping on top of him and slamming his head against the ground several times before the tables turned and Zimmerman shot him, the Orlando Sentinel is quoting law enforcement authorities as saying this afternoon.

Martin, 17 and unarmed, was killed Feb. 26 in the altercation, after Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch captain, followed Martin through his Sanford, Fla., development, sizing him up as a criminal, and telling a 911 dispatcher as much.

Sanford police told the Sentinel:

Zimmerman … had turned around and was walking back to his SUV when Trayvon approached him from behind, the two exchanged words then Trayvon punched him in the nose, sending him to the ground, and began beating him.

… Zimmerman began yelling for help.

Several witnesses heard those cries, and there’s been a dispute about from whom they came: Zimmerman or Trayvon.

Lawyers for Trayvon’s family say it was Trayvon, but police say their evidence indicates it was Zimmerman.

Zimmerman had a bloody nose, swollen lip and bloody cuts on the back of his head, according to police.
If this turns out to be true, Zimmerman will never go to jail under FL law has I understand it. Also, if this is true, I believe I would have done the same thing if I felt my life was in danger.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

There's enough to arrest Zimmerman, and a full-court trial would see if Zimmerman is actually guilty or not.

chee wrote:There's enough to arrest Zimmerman, and a full-court trial would see if Zimmerman is actually guilty or not.
Not at this point, it wouldn't. No such thing as an unbiased jury of one's peers once the the media does its job. This whole thing has been fucked by the media and overzealous internet "social justice" activists willing to glom on any story, without getting all the facts, that could get them hits. It's the same good vs. evil complex that this Zimmerman dude obviously has.

Nelson wrote:
chee wrote:There's enough to arrest Zimmerman, and a full-court trial would see if Zimmerman is actually guilty or not.
Not at this point, it wouldn't. No such thing as an unbiased jury of one's peers once the the media does its job. This whole thing has been fucked by the media and overzealous internet "social justice" activists willing to glom on any story, without getting all the facts, that could get them hits. It's the same good vs. evil complex that this Zimmerman dude obviously has.
Justice is justice, who cares if there is media surrounding this case. Lots of cases focused on pretty white women get media focus and they still get their court time.

chee wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Justice is justice, who cares if there is media surrounding this case. Lots of cases focused on pretty white women get media focus and they still get their court time.
....but if Trayvon attacked Zimmerman, and the reason that Zimmerman shot Tryvon was because he felt like his life was threatened, does that still mean that Zimmerman needs to go to jail?

Zimmerman claims he was suckerpunched as he reached for his cellphone

This is a huge point. If someone strange/potential psycho was following me, started to ask questions and then reaches for the inside of his jacket..I would have done the same.

It seems the "Stand Your Ground" law basically means who ever lives through the confrontation gets to be a hero..

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/colbert-hood ... ournalist/

chee wrote:
Nelson wrote:
Because the media/internet "social justice" activists have gotten the public to see Zimmerman as a cold-blooded bigot and a killer. It doesn't matter what evidence they bring to the table. Anything shot of video evidence and Zimmerman is still going away forever when he may not deserve it. And if he doesn't go away forever he's fucked anyway. Because even if it is shown that the shooting occurred in self-defense, do you really think the public (see: sheep) is going to give a shit? Again, we love our good vs. evil and our brains implode at the thought of a grey area.

Regardless of what happened, he probably should be in prison for a while. He did stalk Trayvon, after all. But for someone who strikes me as a person all about fairness, you are certainly pretty apathetic towards the idea of Zimmerman not getting a fair trial because we've done everything we can to paint him as the worst person alive.